For Sale: Highly modified/updated 2015 Taxa Cricket, Denver, CO

Jafrench

Observer
Considering a change on the camping trailer front so I’m listing my Cricket. If it sells, great, if not, I’ll keep rocking it with the family.

$28,500 $25,000 or best offer and willing to help with delivery within a reasonable distance of Denver.

1586378427164.jpeg

I believe I’m the second owner, maybe third. Bought it 2.5 years ago and immediately began modifying it for my needs. Refer to the following thread for some more detail, but it’s not completely up to date with all the mods:

Trailer is factory wired for solar and comes with the Zamp portable panel that it originally came with as well as 2 AGM deep cycle batteries for a total of nearly 200 amp hours.

Here’s the list of mods/upgrades if you don’t want to read the thread:
-Professionally built, boxed 2”x5” steel frame with extended draw bar
-4” lift heavy duty Timbren axle-less suspension
-Lock N Roll multi-axis hitch
-ARK trailer jack
-31” Big O AT tires w/ full size spare (like new) on 16” 6 x 5.5 Toyota wheels
-Spare tire carrier on driver side rear step
-25 gal fresh water tank w/ custom 0.25” aluminum skid plate and electric level gauge
-Removed large gray water tank and replaced with mobile 7 gal Aqua-Tainer
-Propex HS2000 propane heater
-Eccotemp L5 on-demand propane water heater in Pelican case plumbed to interior sink and exterior shower with quick connects
-Quick Pitch en-suite exterior shower enclosure w/ aluminum box
-79” CVT awning
-UWS 36" tongue box
-10# propane tank x2 in Powertank brackets
-14” roof vent with 12v reversible, variable speed electric fan
-L track on interior floor for securing cargo
-Dual child bunks
-Recently replaced 12v water pump
-Bluesea battery disconnect switch
-USB charge ports x2
-Voltmeter
-Professionally made custom cover for storage
1586378677875.jpeg

Small projects I’ll take on in the next few weeks:
-(DONE) Custom screen netting for entry door to keep bugs out while door is open
-(DONE) Redo the awning mount (currently hanging from roof load bars) and add 12v string lights to it
-(DONE) Redo water connections to Eccotemp (small leak and bulky)
-(DONE) Hang some hooks for coats
-Probably add a 2" receiver to the rear for a bike rack or additional cargo tray for firewood, etc.

The less than good (repaired...see update posts below):
-Damage to the driver side fender and composite wall from a tire blowout. I pulled the fender and got after it with a BFH so it’s a bit deformed but 100% functional. I’ll repair the panel with some filler/adhesive but it’s 100% cosmetic.
1586378569972.jpeg

1586378600056.jpeg

New 2019/2020 Crickets go for $27-30k, depending on options. A new 2020 Overland Edition is $39k+. Although their Overland Edition has some of the upgrades that mine does (16” wheels, Lock N Roll hitch, Timbren axle-less suspension, kid bunk), it still has a WEAK c-channel frame, which in my estimation is the biggest flaw with the Cricket if you want to go anywhere other than highways to graded dirt/gravel roads to campgrounds. I’ve taken my Cricket on some rough Colorado trails to dispersed campsites and it doesn’t flinch. Refer to page 2 of my mod thread above for what happens to a Taxa frame when actually used to get off the beaten path.

Additional improvements of mine compared to a 2020 Overland Edition:
-STOUT, professionally built fully boxed steel frame
-25 gallon versus 15 gallon fresh water tank
-31” versus 29” tires
-2 kid bunks versus 1
-On demand hot water versus <3 gallons at a time with reheat time
-Large tongue box for storage

Where a new Cricket and/or Overland Edition has me beat:
-2yr structural, 1yr plumbing/electrical warranty
I'm certain that my chassis will far outlast ANYTHING Taxa builds, and plumbing and electrical don’t act up until after the first year anyway. Those things are pretty easy to fix/troubleshoot with basic skills. The majority of the plumbing and wiring has already been redone with the new chassis and the mods I've done.
-2-20# propane tanks (instead of 2-10#)
Meh
-No built-in stove
I don’t like to cook in the trailer anyway (bear country, smells, mess, etc.). And I find that everyone has different preferences for his/her cooking method. I use a large dual burner Camp Chef stove and Blackstone 22” table top griddle.
-Large grey water tank
Meh. The only thing that goes in our portable gray water jug is dirty soapy water from washing hands/faces and spit with toothpaste from brushing teeth. I use it to put out the fire at night.

Bigger job I’ll do if no one is interested in buying will be to build a stove slide out from the passenger side rear that will house the Blackstone griddle and provide counter space for the Camp Chef stove and/or food prep.

Let me know if you have questions or want pictures of anything I haven't included.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

Jafrench

Observer
OK, joke's over and weekend bump. With a few hundred views and no replies let's adjust some things. Original asking price, although "or best offer", was wishful thinking at best, magical at worst. Price adjusted above. Will be repairing cosmetic side panel damage next week and will add those pictures.

Thanks for looking.

Jafrench

Observer
Not in the market but, if you have time , show interior and in a camp like setting.
Might make it more desirable.
Good luck
Good call. Surprisingly, I didn't have any pics of the trailer in action so had to ask the wifey. More pics inbound. And I'll take some interior pics tonight or tomorrow and post up.

Jafrench

Observer
Wife, kids, dog not included in the sale.

Dual bunks:
1586707176271.jpeg

Interior LEDs and exterior red LED for step:
1586707193740.jpeg

CVT awning (remounting for easier deployment and pack up) and our camp/cooking setup:
1586707229466.jpeg

For evidence of where this Cricket can go that others can't/shouldn't...
Trip with a couple other families to Sherwin and Chinns Lakes:
1586707251092.jpeg

Bill Moore Lake trip:
1586707271937.jpeg

Jafrench

Observer
More pics.
Sink/counter:
1586798615151.jpeg

Shelves/storage:
1586798642217.jpeg

New switches/Propex propane heater control:
1586798685003.jpeg

Fresh water tank level gauge:
1586798719093.jpeg

Small grey water tank:
1586798758390.jpeg

Jafrench

Observer
Wow, hanging bunk beds! I bet the kids love that.
They LOVE the hanging bunks. Thanks

Hung some coat/gear hooks inside. Fixed the slow water leak of the Eccotemp on-demand propane hot water heater.

Also remounted the awning so it's easier to deploy with the roof up. It's about 6'8" at the door and slants down to about 6'1" at the back of the trailer. Plenty tall for most people.
1587091818182.jpeg

1587091840704.jpeg

1587091854473.jpeg

Jafrench

Observer
BUMP, with update of completed side panel repair:
1) Used some tools to get the panel as straight as possible
IMG-3240.jpg
IMG-3241.jpg
IMG-3242.jpg

2) Cut scrap wood to use as clamp reinforcement/spacers:
IMG-3246.jpg
IMG-3247.jpg

Jafrench

Observer
Continued:
4) Used this stuff for final sealant/adhesive to attach the rubber molding
IMG-3256.jpg

5) Then used duct tape to hold in place while it set up
IMG-3253.jpg
IMG-3254.jpg
IMG-3255.jpg

Jafrench

Observer
Continued:
6) Final result (except for a small bead of clear silicone I'll use to fill the little gap)...solid as a rock
IMG-3257.jpg
IMG-3258.jpg
IMG-3261.jpg
IMG-3262.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12