For Sale: Light Weight Overland Trailer with Rooftop Tent

obsidian_chips

Located in Salt Lake City, UT. $8,200 OBO

This is a 2016 Backcountry Box Basecamp trailer. This thing is burly! It has never limited where we go in the backcountry. It's designed to be lightweight, easy to set up/take down, and provide some comfort but not be too posh.

The rooftop tent is a 2018 Auto Home Columbus Variant clamshell, size medium. It takes 10 seconds to set up. Just unlatch one latch and push! There is room in the hardshell to leave the pillows and blankets in place, so it’s an instant bed. This is great for late-night camp arrivals. The mattress is so comfortable! There are doors on either side, both with removable bug screens. There is also a huge door the entire height of the back of the tent. This also has a bug screen. With all doors open, it is wonderfully breezy. The trailer comes with a ladder that clips on the edge of the tent, but I never used it. The fenders of the trailer are made to be stood on, so I use the tire and fender as my ladder. The bed can fit two adults and a child or a dog.

The kitchen is equally quick to set up. Just open the back door and pull the full-length drawer out. You won’t find a better camp stove on any other overland trailer! The Camp Chef Explorer 14 has two large burners with plenty of space for big pots on both burners. It has a cast iron griddle attachment that makes cooking eggs and bacon a pure delight, and it comes with a grill attachment for steaks, burgers, or hot dogs. Want a place to prep dinner? There is a 6’ Lifetime folding table in its own compartment above the kitchen. Just slide that out and set it up and you’ve got the best kitchen on the mountain!

Next to the stove is a hinged countertop with storage underneath. This can be modified to drop in a small sink if desired. However, I just attached a food-grade water hose with hand sprayer and used a plastic bin as my sink and was always happy with this.

You'll never be afraid of the dark with this trailer! There are lights inside the storage area, shining on the kitchen, underneath the chassis so you can see where you’re stepping, and 8 aftermarket rock lights mounted 360 around the trailer (the color of these can be changed with an iPhone app). The rooftop tent also has a dome light inside it.

Tired of the quiet solitude of nature? Then bump some tunes using the marine Kenwood Bluetooth radio with 2 external waterproof speakers. There is even a small aftermarket subwoofer to give better sound!

Some other goodies:

The trailer has a lock and roll hitch. It fully locks the trailer to your truck and articulates on 3 planes so you never have to worry about the trailer popping off while rock crawling. I have 2 receiver attachments - one straight and one 2" drop/raise hitch.

The wiring is 7-pin, allowing your vehicle to trickle charge the battery and control the electric brakes.

There are stabilizers on all 4 corners of the trailer.

The trailer comes with rubber chocks so you can safely unhitch the trailer without it rolling away.

This is seriously an awesome trailer. I’m only selling it because my family is growing and no longer fits.

Trailer Specs:

Aluminum frame and skin
~900 lbs dry, so it can be towed by almost anything. (Rooftop tent adds an additional ~145 lbs.)
2000 lb GVWR
Axle-less suspension with aftermarket 4" lifted spindles
Ground clearance: 16.5”
Length: 11’, plus the 11 lb propane tank adds 8”
Width: 76” fender to fender
height: 72” to top of closed rooftop tent
Brand new 265/75R16 32” tires with full-size spare. Toyota 6 x 5.5 lug pattern
10" electric brakes
20-gallon water tank with 12v water pump

Electrical box contains:

- 2000 watt inverter
- shore power with external plug
- deep cycle battery
- fuse box
- solar charge controller (solar panel not included)

Rooftop Tent Specs:

Mattress size: 80” x 54"
Interior height: 55”

Known issues:

The plywood inside is still in good structural shape but has some black scuff marks from gear bouncing around.
The protective wire sheathing has pulled away from the head of the 7-pin connector a bit. All wiring connections are still working fine.
The electrical box has a dent in it from getting backed into. This split the weld of the corner a bit, which has been filled with silicone to keep it water-tight.
The prinsu rack that the rooftop tent is mounted on is cracked in one location because of the torquing forces of off-roading. The tent and rack still seem solid, so I’ve never bothered to try to fix it and never really noticed it as an issue (photo included).

Attachments

• IMG_1227.jpeg
    IMG_1227.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1225.jpeg
    IMG_1225.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1228.jpeg
    IMG_1228.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1231.jpeg
    IMG_1231.jpeg