FOR SALE: RARE 4x4 TOYOTA ODYSSEY WITH A V-6 ENGINE -- NOT YOUR AVERAGE TOYOTA RV!

Toyota RVer

100_2283.1.JPG

FOR SALE: RARE 4x4 TOYOTA ODYSSEY WITH A V-6 ENGINE -- THIS IS NOT YOUR AVERAGE TOYOTA RV!

This 4x4 Toyota Odyssey has been our hobby project for quite a while -- creating a custom off-road RV that the next owners can be proud of.

This RV is rare because it is one of only six 4x4 Toyota motorhomes that were made with a V-6 engine -- meaning it can climb hills with more power, and can tow extra “toys” if desired. Odometer reads 76,5XX actual miles = not high for a Toyota engine. With its 5-speed manual transmission, it does indeed deliver the great gas mileage that Toyota engines are known for. Granted, this is not as heavy duty an expedition vehicle as some, but because it is a true motorhome, it has multiple amenities and comforts (like a shower and coach air conditioner) that many others don't have.

A lot of work has gone into renewing this coach top to bottom. Everything about it that is reasonable and practical to fix or upgrade has already been done.

It has been totally refurbished outside and in with a beautiful new exterior finish and new blue and green striping. The interior has new curtains, upholstery, counters, carpet, and other improvements. Any engine and chassis service that was needed has been performed. The newer tires are suitable for off-road travel. All of the RV’s systems have been tested and have been made to function properly. The necessary RV hoses, supplies, and multiple accessories are provided also. There is compartment space for a portable generator (up to 3KW size) if the new owner wants to bring one along (not included). The result is that this is now an exceptionally fine vehicle -- ready for wilderness camping.
The 19.6’ floorplan is spacious enough for four adults to be comfortable, but not too lengthy to drive off the beaten path. This vehicle came from the factory with a heavier duty rear axle than is found on standard V-6 Toyota RVs of the same era. This means it is sufficient to have only single wheels on the rear (15"), which is better for ease of tracking on rutted roads.

On the rear bumper it has a double hitch: one receiver hitch for adding a rack for bringing along trail bikes if you like, as well as a ball hitch that can haul a moderate size trailer if needed for a small fishing boat, or motorcycles, snowmobile, or other fun stuff, depending on your intended destination.

The "buy-it-now" price of $23,950 includes $1000 worth of additional accessories: a solar panel system with inverter and controller, full patio awning, TV antenna, plus complete furnishings (kitchenware, linens, water purifier, etc.) that are needed to be equipped to enjoy off-road campsites. Someone is going to get a turn-key, yet moderately priced 'expedition vehicle' with this one.

This unique RV is for the person who is in need of 4-wheel-drive capability in a motorhome, but who doesn't want to spend big money, and doesn't have the time to hassle fixing up one that's been neglected.

When you compare it to alternative brands of 4x4 hard-sided RVs for sale, it is a good value. It can take you to similar seldom-explored locations like where EarthRoamers go, but without the $60k - $125K price tag. Yes, the price is higher than average for a typical Toyota RV, but this one is thoroughly restored, roomier inside, and now definitely way-above-average for the make and model.

The EarthRoamer tag line is: "The civilized way to escape civilization™" But, for those on a budget, you can begin to do it in a nice 4x4 Toyota Odyssey like this one too.

If you are a serious 4x4 enthusiast who has been looking for a medium-sized, fully-enclosed RV with 4-wheel-drive capability, then perhaps this could be a match for you.

You can see a set of 14 photos here: http://www.rvmotorized.com/rvdetail4571774.htm Click "View All Pictures" to see them all.

Vehicle is located in Southern California.

Please send a private email with your phone number if you would like a much more complete description (including pluses and minuses). Many more photos are also available to those seriously interested. Replies with a phone number will be given highest priority.

bb498

Worth the price for what it can do...

I recently was given the opportunity to use this vehicle for a week. We took it to the desert in Nevada, did some four wheeling, and were able to go where others in our RVing group were unable to go. Then we went to the High Sierra and enjoyed cooking fresh-caught trout in it. The whole trip, the Toyota truck ran great and had plenty of power. The manual 5-speed gave us unexpectedly good gas mileage. It's been expertly refurbished inside and out. Overall the RV looks at least ten years newer than it is. If I didn't already have a similar vehicle of my own I would seriously consider buying this one.

Mike

fly12fire

Odyssey 4x4

Wow they loaned it to you? How do I get on their friend list. I have a toyota rv but this thing is on a whole level up from mine. Looks like it's still on the show room floor.
LS

TeufelHunden

Observer
I called a couple weeks ago. The woman who answers literally reads the description she wrote here, to you over the phone. I think they want 24k.

VikingVince

Explorer
I have a 1990 Toyota Odyssey, V6, DRW, 2wd.

Your vehicle looks in great shape...the SRW and 4wd are appealing...I wish I had 4wd. However:

*** I bought my Odyssey about 3 years ago...it was in excellent condition with 50K miles on it. The market value for Odyssey's like mine 3 YEARS AGO was $8K - $12K, depending on condition. Believe me, these RV's have not appreciated in value! :) Your asking price...???

*** I've been to Baja numerous times and driven many washboard roads in my offroad rig. I wouldn't THINK of taking my Odyssey on those roads.

*** Your Odyssey (even with 4wd) and mine can't even begin to go where an Earthroamer can go. (nearly everyone on this forum knows that) The only thing 4wd does for a motorhome is give it some additional capability in sand or limited snow situations. The Earthroamer has FAR superior clearance, larger tires, suspension, and torsional separation between cabin and frame.

*** The V6 in my Odyssey is barely sufficient in mountain driving...it slows down going uphill. (I don't really care...I'm not it a hurry) :)
MPG: I've gotten 11-15 mpg depending on conditions. Flat freeway with a tailwind is 15mpg...lol...I don't care; I mainly use it to go to the beach and I luv it!

Good luck selling your Odyssey...nice little RV...but market it for what it is!

fly12fire

So let me get this straight. Your comparing a 24 thousand dollar vehicle with a several hundred thousand dollar vehicle and you would expect it to perform the same? As far as my phoney made up name it's the same one I use on the other sites I belong to. I have 2 Sunrader motorhomes and I like to camp as far off road as I can get in them.I manage fine with a 4 banger. The dually wheels give tons of traction but a 4x4 would be better. Your Odyssey that can only go to the beach is probably the big one.They only built the 4x4 on the smaller 20 ft coach. I have no idea why yours can only make it to the beach cause I have a friend who does the Yukon every year in a v6 Toyota Itasca. I'm new to this site but I do know the 4x4 Rv's in Australia and South Africa are mostly Toyota or Nissan based. Not allot of Fords down there.
LS

I have a 1990 Toyota Odyssey, V6, DRW, 2wd.

Your vehicle looks in great shape...the SRW and 4wd are appealing...I wish I had 4wd. However:

*** I bought my Odyssey about 3 years ago...it was in excellent condition with 50K miles on it. The market value for Odyssey's like mine 3 YEARS AGO was $8K - $12K, depending on condition. Believe me, these RV's have not appreciated in value! :) Your asking price...???

*** I've been to Baja numerous times and driven many washboard roads in my offroad rig. I wouldn't THINK of taking my Odyssey on those roads.

*** Your Odyssey (even with 4wd) and mine can't even begin to go where an Earthroamer can go. (nearly everyone on this forum knows that) The only thing 4wd does for a motorhome is give it some additional capability in sand or limited snow situations. The Earthroamer has FAR superior clearance, larger tires, suspension, and torsional separation between cabin and frame.

*** The V6 in my Odyssey is barely sufficient in mountain driving...it slows down going uphill. (I don't really care...I'm not it a hurry) :)
MPG: I've gotten 11-15 mpg depending on conditions. Flat freeway with a tailwind is 15mpg...lol...I don't care; I mainly use it to go to the beach and I luv it!

Good luck selling your Odyssey...nice little RV...but market it for what it is!

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
It was funny at first (in a sad way). Now it's sad (in a not-so-funny way).

EDIT - Fly12... It looks like you may actually be a real person, but you gotta admit, when a new person shows up and posts an ad followed quickly by two other new people speaking high praise it looks suspicious.

Welcome to the portal, always good to see a new local on here.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
So let me get this straight. Your comparing a 24 thousand dollar vehicle with a several hundred thousand dollar vehicle

Actually, I think it was the OP who did that (and he was WAY off on the ER price...):

"When you compare it to alternative brands of 4x4 hard-sided RVs for sale, it is a good value. It can take you to similar seldom-explored locations like where EarthRoamers go, but without the $60k - $125K price tag."

fly12fire

Yeah I'm new but one of my Sunraders is a v6. The first v6 Sunrader ever made and the 301 nissan d21 ever made. Saved it from a field. only 8 known to exist and at least one of those is gone forever. Would love to somehow make into a 4x4 and looking on this site the first thing that came up was this 4x4. Have to appreciate the showroom condition and in my opinion getting a vehicle like this for less than the cost of a Prius is a steal. Just came across this this morning if you guys don't think a Toyota can handle the rough country

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/14/why-rebel-groups-love-the-toyota-hilux.html
LS

It was funny at first (in a sad way). Now it's sad (in a not-so-funny way).

EDIT - Fly12... It looks like you may actually be a real person, but you gotta admit, when a new person shows up and posts an ad followed quickly by two other new people speaking high praise it looks suspicious.

Welcome to the portal, always good to see a new local on here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears