For Sale: Used RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate, 5th Gen 4Runner, $200

boyfester

Observer
Selling my RCI aluminum front skid plate which I bought last year for $315 + tax. I used it on a pretty rocky trail in Big Bear (White Mountain) last year on its maiden voyage and suffered two cracked welds at the right and left corners where the skid angles upwards as well as one dent and a slight upward bend near the rear. I subsequently replaced the skid with a steel RCI skid plate.

I went to a local blacksmith in Orange, CA and he fixed the two cracked welds and dent at the front dam. He was not able to take out the upward bend in the skid but it fits just fine with about 1/2" clearance between the skid and the front differential and all of the holes line up perfectly. He welded gussets to the inside corners, removed the front dent, and sanded the exterior welded corners. There is also more than enough clearance between the inside gusseted corners and the push bars making me wish RCI would weld gussets there in the first place.

I'm selling the skid for $200 OBO with the addition of new hardware (4 bolts and 2 rubber washers). I prefer local pickup in Orange County, CA but I could look into shipping it on the buyer's dime.

Pictures of the skid plate before the fix

Picture of two cracked corners and dent at angled dam (see circles)

PICTURES OF FIXED SKID PLATE

PICTURES OF SKID PLATE MOUNTED

PICTURE OF 1/2" SPACE BETWEEN SKID AND FRONT DIFF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears