For those considering 255/85/16s...ST/MAXX is coming soon

Robert Bills

Explorer
The diameter of a typical 265/75R16 tire is 31.6". Cooper lists the diameter of the LT265/75R16-E ST/Maxx at 32.0".

The diameter of the 255/85R16 ST/Maxx is 32.8," short for a 255/85R16, but the same diameter as a typical 285/75R16.

The_Dude

Adventurer
I saw that as well. I am pretty disappointed. These were going to be the next set but I am going to stick with my 285s I guess.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
The diameter of a typical 265/75R16 tire is 31.6". Cooper lists the diameter of the LT265/75R16-E ST/Maxx at 32.0".

The diameter of the 255/85R16 ST/Maxx is 32.8," short for a 255/85R16, but the same diameter as a typical 285/75R16.

That being the case, then LT265/70R17E Jeep JK take-offs, which are the same diameter (and LT255/75R17's for that matter at 32" dia.) and are frequently available on Craigslist are quite the steal. I am currently running the 265/70's on my JK. I sometimes wish that they were two inches larger in diameter but have been very satisfied for the money.

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
Anybody regret going with 255 ST Maxx's? Any problems, squirrely handling or general weirdness to report?

Last edited:

CAP650

Observer
Nope. Very happy with the tires so far. No complaints. I've had them on since the end of February.

Anybody regret going with 255/85 ST Maxx's? Any problems, squirrely handling or general weirdness to report?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wavephf

Observer
I have to run them at a lower air pressure the I did with my general grabber AT2 both were E rate but the grabber was a 265/75r16
Anybody regret going with 255 ST Maxx's? Any problems, squirrely handling or general weirdness to report?

Took them to Moab this year and aired down to 15 in the rear and 20 in the front. I think I could have lowered them more and got better traction. I never had to lower the grabbers below 25psi. They handled good on highway to and from Moab.

98GP

Observer
Its been a few weeks since last post...

Anybody put these on an Excursion or 99-04 F250?

I can't decide between the ST Maxx or BFG KM2 mud terrain in the same size.

I am also waiting to see what happens with the new BFG AT KO2 and what sizes the release for a 16" wheel.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip... I can't decide between the ST Maxx or BFG KM2 mud terrain in the same size.

My comment is that there is a major difference in tread void, noise, etc. between those two treads. I’d pick the ST MAXX, but I have liked a good 50/50 or 60/40 tread for a while, much preferring them over an 80/20 M/T for most purposes. Your needs and preference may be different.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm at 9000+ miles on them and they're just starting to hum a bit. Still no complaints or fails. Had them in mud last weekend and they didn't lose a step.

Fargo

Adventurer
Any updates? Hilldweller, how stiff does that sidewall feel on the JK. I'm wondering how these would feel on my LJ. I have the STTs now in a load range D and they are plenty stiff. I have concerns about an even stiffer load range E

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Any updates? Hilldweller, how stiff does that sidewall feel on the JK. I'm wondering how these would feel on my LJ. I have the STTs now in a load range D and they are plenty stiff. I have concerns about an even stiffer load range E
I just rotated them yesterday; over 15K miles and still would buy them again.
The sidewalls remind me of the feel of the Goodyear MTR/Kevlar. Air them down a pound or 3 more than Ds.
I trailer often so I appreciate them. I also have seen sidewall massacres on lesser tires that make me appreciate them.

My only niggle is that they pick up and refuse to release gravel. But I'm looking forward to that as a benefit when it snows...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman