Ford 7.3L Godzilla Swap!

CaptainBuilt

Current rig is a 2014 Ford E-350 with the 5.4L gas motor, 150k miles:

D1f11v2l.jpg

Bought at auction - 2022 Ford E-450 RV chassis / cab w/ 7.3L Godzilla motor. 2,100 miles. Was a RV, but the RV part is gone. Got it for a STEAL.

fpZArXyl.jpg

I am currently in the middle of a cross country move. The RV chassis is being shipped to a enclosed RV storage facility where I am moving to. It will be 2 weeks before I can even look at it. Probably a few months before I can begin the conversion.

It's supposed to "Run and Drive".

The 2 directions this will go:

1. Just pull engine / transmission and swap into my current rig. The only issues I see is if the BCM wiring isn't the same, or can't be matched up to work with the 2014.

OR

2. Just swap cabs, all wiring, etc.... I've done a few swaps before. I'd imagine I could probably swap the dash and all the wiring over to the old cab. Seems hard, but it's not, just takes time, and lots of labeling.

While the engine is out, I will install Willis Performance cams / and maybe heads.

I thought this was going to cut into my budget I've been saving for the Ujoint 4wd conversion, but not too much. I def wanna get this done before I go 4wd b/c of having to deal with the height of the rig being 4wd.

Anyway, just thought I would share what it's going to take to do this swap.

CaptainBuilt

Also, dealing with RSC....

If the rear axle has individual wheel speed sensors (current axle has none), not that big of a deal. I am installing a Sterling axle with the e-locker anyway.

b. rock

It was only a matter of time before someone got into this. This would breathe new life into a lot of 5.4 or even 6.0 vans. Stoked to see someone trying it. Best of luck.

CaptainBuilt

Thanks everyone. It will be 2 weeks before I can even see the donor in person.

Right now, I'm just doing research, and reaching out to 5 star tuning about my tuning options. While I have the motor out, I would like to add heads and a cam.

I will be doing a LOT of research before I touch any of them. I posted this thread early on here and SMB forum for feedback and suggestions.

I mean, I might chicken out and sell the donor rig. Never know. I just got it so cheap ($3500), I couldn't pass it up. It really cut into my @ujoint 4WD savings, but still might be worth it.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Going to be tricky and probably frustrating at times but worth it in the end! I'd swap as much as you can. Gauges, maybe the whole dash, wiring, etc. Hardest part will be adapting the stock stuff to the donor I'd guess.

Last edited:

Raul

Adventurer
Any chance you can keep the '22 frame and VIN? or is the frame damaged? Salvage title? 2022 Salvage vs. clean 2014.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Thanks everyone. It will be 2 weeks before I can even see the donor in person.

Right now, I'm just doing research, and reaching out to 5 star tuning about my tuning options. While I have the motor out, I would like to add heads and a cam.

I will be doing a LOT of research before I touch any of them. I posted this thread early on here and SMB forum for feedback and suggestions.

I mean, I might chicken out and sell the donor rig. Never know. I just got it so cheap ($3500), I couldn't pass it up. It really cut into my @ujoint 4WD savings, but still might be worth it.
What is SMB forum?

Daviticus

That is a hilarious bargain, I'd be doing borderline criminal stuff to get that for what you did. Definitely following this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger