Ford E350 7.3 water pump hints?

moparmiller

Anyone have any hints for getting the fan clutch off of the van series 7.3 WP? It is a slightly different arrangement from the F series fan and the truck tool is not helping.

moparmiller

New pump going in but don't want to thrash the clutch since it and the fan look to be NLA from Ford. I found a Lisle 43300 fan clutch tool set but I think I'd have to dog leg the wrench to get on the flats. Did you guys have to pull the radiator for your swap?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I pulled the radiator out and to clean it too.

n2h1ug.jpg

Toyman01

Adventurer
Pull the radiator. It doesn't take long to get out and makes everything else go a lot faster. The fan clutch tools can be rented from most auto parts stores.

damarshall7

Just did this service, easiest to pull radiator, then pull water pump with fan attached and remove on workbench. I put the water pump impeller in the vice and used the removal tool and a big breaker bar to get it free. It took a lot of force to remove it, and trashed the water pump impeller in the process.

cjken

Explorer
I also pulled the radiator.
I think I got the fan off first.
I guess it would have been easier to pull rad first.
My impeller was completely worn away.
No wonder it was getting warm
260a184b1dea3d9d4fdb11a956b20afa.jpg
def0e913175774a49dd9ab2ecc62e8ee.jpg

six3mikee

If you have an air chisel, you can use that to loosen the clutch while still in the van. Otherwise, I also pulled radiator, and the pump and fan together. I then used a rented clutch tool that barely worked.

Deshet

Adventurer
If you have an air chisel, you can use that to loosen the clutch while still in the van. Otherwise, I also pulled radiator, and the pump and fan together. I then used a rented clutch tool that barely worked.

I have used an Air Chisel and Rental tools. I remember bumping the starter on a vehicle once but don't remember if it was the 7.3. The biggest thing is getting enough space to work.

Clean all of the oil residue around the area also. This will help with your CPS in the future. Make sure you get the correct SCA level in the coolant, some people know about this and some don't.

This old Rz

That posted this on a couple forums praying for some advice....
Okay... As we all find out getting the water pump or clutch fan off a 7.3 E350 is a horrible nightmare... I have never done anything that caused me so much grief on a vehicle....ever and I've got some real good stories too... lol ?
The sheer horrible engineering pissed me off SOoooo bad I've let this "Bastard son of Ford " sit 7 months before starting putting it back together today.
When I removed it all I had to remove the pump and the clutch fan together, then put a 8' steel pipe with the pump in a vice ...just to get the clutch fan off....Destroying the old pump in the process... which was unfortunate as it was brand new
The previous owners before I bought at auction, failed to put 4 bolts back into the fan blade... Guess they figured just 2 bolts would be okay , so on the third day I owned it...the fan came apart on the freeway, disintegrated and took everything in the cooling system with it...lol "Good Times that was!"?
Here's my question, when I took it all apart, I rented two different clutch fan removal tools none of them ever worked...No almosts, No if I get the right angle.... they just will not work on the E350. AutoZone or O'Reilly's are the two I used..each are thin steel straight wrenches.
They need to have a (dog leg) in them. They will work on an f350 etc.. But not on the Vans as the assembly is shorter, thus the giant nut is over 1 and 1/2 inches inset into the fan center housing. (Does anybody offer a dog leg tool or has anybody fabricated one? Can one be bought?)
I have everything on now, except mounting the clutch fan and fan assembly.
To do this.. there's not a lot of work room as apparently it looks like I have to have the radiator and the shroud mounted 1st otherwise there's no room for the fan & fan clutch to pass through, so instead of having ample room now you have to work completely on an angle approximately 10 in and holding a 10 lb fan assembly...
Contrary to what some say I intend on using loctite on the clutch fan but....It calls for over 80 pounds of torque I don't see any way I'll be able to tourqe it down properly ? Can it be just spun on clockwise until it's snug with loctite? (These are NOT reverse threads they are clockwise to tighten.)
I purchased all brand new Motorcraft parts... Dealer wanted over $2,700 to do this that's insane..... And the local diesel repair mechanic says he will not work on vans...lol. That right there should have been a sign...lol
Anyways anybody have any tips or advice they can throw my way it will be greatly appreciated I enjoy working on cars...but when you come across something like this it is just so utterly aggravating it really discourages you.
Any replies are welcome here or my email @daveevansinc@yahoo.com
Thanks all!

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
That posted this on a couple forums praying for some advice....
Okay... As we all find out getting the water pump or clutch fan off a 7.3 E350 is a horrible nightmare... I have never done anything that caused me so much grief on a vehicle....ever and I've got some real good stories too... lol ?
The sheer horrible engineering pissed me off SOoooo bad I've let this "Bastard son of Ford " sit 7 months before starting putting it back together today.

You're either very highly emotional or lazy and that was a lengthy, pointless introduction.

When I removed it all I had to remove the pump and the clutch fan together, then put a 8' steel pipe with the pump in a vice ...just to get the clutch fan off....Destroying the old pump in the process... which was unfortunate as it was brand new
The previous owners before I bought at auction, failed to put 4 bolts back into the fan blade... Guess they figured just 2 bolts would be okay , so on the third day I owned it...the fan came apart on the freeway, disintegrated and took everything in the cooling system with it...lol "Good Times that was!"?

So you either saw the bolts were missing and drove it anyway or you're guessing they were actually missing before the fan broke. It's entirely possible the fan was bolted-in properly but was otherwise damaged and when it began to vibrate/broke the "missing" bolts were loosened by that. I've seen it. A properly torqued part that breaks can lose its hardware due to the bolts being loose after the part's dimensions change or it moves or disappears completely. This is exacerbated by vibration.

Here's my question, when I took it all apart, I rented two different clutch fan removal tools none of them ever worked...No almosts, No if I get the right angle.... they just will not work on the E350.

That's not a question.

My experience suggests the best pump/clutch R&R practices to be:

Remove the radiator. Draining it through a coffee filter can reveal a lot about the cooling system's cleanliness and contents.

Remove the pump, clutch, and fan as an assembly.

Secure the pump. A vise can work but I've had better luck avoiding component damage by attaching the pump to a work bench with large wood screws through the bolt holes or clamping the pump to a bench. By setting it on a corner, multiple clamps can be used.

An air chisel or deadblow hammer and punch can break the clutch loose from the pump with no other special tools.

Thoroughly inspect the fan for damage prior to reinstalling it.

Do not use loctite.

For torquing the new clutch in place, a bump with the air chisel or deadblow and punch is sufficient. If in doubt, drive then recheck for a few days. The clutch threads are self-tightening against the fan's wind resistance (regardless of whether they're right- or left-hand threads, think about it) but the sudden stop of the engine, along with the momentum of the spinning fan and clutch, may be enough to overcome the tightness of the pump nut.

Coolant in good condition and chemistry prolongs the life of all cooling system components. A coolant filter prolongs the life and good chemistry of coolant.

This old Rz

Thanks for the advice and the PMs folks.
Really I could really care less about personal opinion and or observations or perceptions of my dedication and efforts from others..talk about pointless conversation.. really ..."stones in glass houses" anyone? But regardless thanks for any and all advice.
FYI, the party I brought it from confirmed with the previous owner that they only put two bolts on the fan and that he must have forgotten about them, go figure... but that's the way it goes when you buy a used vehicle it was a factory service fleet vehicle for its entire life except the last 4 years before I bought so I am hoping there is more good that comes then bad...lol ?
Getting Familiar with different vehicles is a learned process, I'm doing all the work on this myself, and trying to be as safe as possible to provide the best chance of reliability and longevity.
Went to the Ford dealer the other day and we had a talk with the lead diesel tech, 20 years for Ford, he advised a big no to the air chisel method. He said over the years he's replaced many a water pump he feels are due to people doing that , he feels like many have stated ...it delivers undue stress on the bearings and possibly can cause premature failure, being that he is from the house whom built it I was going to take his advice. He said on their replacements he's noticed chisel marks on the nuts obviously no easy way to prove it but I just rather err on the side of caution .. just to be safe. he said taking them off no problem doing that method especially if you're replacing the pump that makes total sense....
Result ..athe tool the the c h utilized has a dog leg in it with a very small head my friend took measurements went home took my fan clutch fan tools cut em , bent em, and welded me up a perfect tool. Now super a luck and easy.
Can you keep that tool in the tool compartment along with extra radiator hoses and belts.
Thanks again for the advice I have a friend whom is going to follow the bolts in the bench method it's definitely easier than the vice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater