Ford E350 Quigley Highroof Van Camper - German Style build

derjack

Adventurer
This is about my 1993 Ford E350 Econoline Quigley in its conversion to a Camper.

For us, here in Germany, an Econoline is rare by itself but even further more if it´s 4x4! I bought that thing in 2013 (!) to build a Camper out of it, because my Iveco 4010 was tooo much truck, and less of an Van or even a camper. An Iveco is the way more common car that you would choose here domestic.

The Concept:
Living out of it for 2-3 weeks autark. So no pop-up, no tent because it gets cold here and ugly depending on the time of the year.
- fixed bed 2 people
- at least 100l water
- kitchen INSIDE, as well as outside
- shower

It took me about 10 years and 4500h to build. I had several issues, most workshops did a terrible job! 6 out of them. Six. I make a series out of all the fails they did, you can check that out on my website: www.derJackistweg.de
The build thread is possible to read on my website above, roughly 210 articles. Or my build video (german audio though) here. Have fun.... like I did:
RAL-9005--scaled.jpeg

Last edited:

ace944gs

Wow, amazing work! In the US that van would have been junked...but you turned it around and made it "new" again!
Silly question- doesn't Germany/ EU have really strict emission regulations? Any issues with all the exhaust work you did?

after so many hours and years of work...enjoy! Post some trip pics!

derjack

Adventurer
Wow, amazing work! In the US that van would have been junked...but you turned it around and made it "new" again!
Silly question- doesn't Germany/ EU have really strict emission regulations? Any issues with all the exhaust work you did?

after so many hours and years of work...enjoy! Post some trip pics!
Hi,

the Van was no where near junk!
But I am with you, when you think it looked like so when all stripped, but I bought it with German inspection already done, aka TÜV, which a lot of car will not get that I see outside the EU.
Since the € went down compared to the $ in the last 6 months, no more US Vans have been seen on our GER market since. But all I have seen before was "rustfree" and in good conditions, is usually a worse shape than mine from the beginning. anyway.

Emissions are a concern - but that depends on the model year! and if it has been registred anywhere before or not:
So a new car, never been registred needs to fulfill the emission standards of today, which is Euro 6 (afaik).
But a car from ´93 needs just to fit the ones from ´93, the lowest ones, which is none. :cool:
Sounds great?
But you pay for it ?
73 (7.3 Liter / 10 = 100ml) times 37,-€ 2700€ Tax per year! Get that. A modern 1l/4-banger EU6 car can cost just shy of 90€ or so per year.
But it is registred as a RV = cheapo 480€ / year.

All plus insurance of course!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears