Ford E350 V10 4x4 Build

BajaBus

Adventurer
Just got back from 15 days roaming remote dirt roads in Baja like this one: the 160 miles of dirt between Bahia de Los Angeles to Punta San Francisquito to El Arco with 2,000 yr old Indian cave paintings in between. The Baj Bus continues to perform flawlessly! :sombrero:

Attachments

• san_franscisquito_1.jpg
    san_franscisquito_1.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 118
  • cavepaintings_1.jpg
    cavepaintings_1.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 91

loren85022

Explorer
Just got back from 15 days roaming remote dirt roads in Baja like this one: the 160 miles of dirt between Bahia de Los Angeles to Punta San Francisquito to El Arco with 2,000 yr old Indian cave paintings in between. The Baj Bus continues to perform flawlessly! :sombrero:

Wait just a sec . . .. . are you saying you spent 15 whole days in Mexico and you werent arrested, shot, shot at, kidnapped, accosted or in anyway shape or form mistreated by the locals? All the time traveling in that big orange bad boy!!!

This Buds for you, Mr Screw the Nay-Sayers and Bomb It On Down to Mexico. :costumed-smiley-007 Hopefully more details to follow.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Justin, I may have missed it somewhere, but what size tires are you running? How have they held up so far to the Baja abuse? What psi are you running in the above picture?

Thanks

BTW... There is a guy in Escondido selling a 40 gallon tank from a 93 E350. You might be able to put it in your van. I looked at it, but couldn't figure out how to make it work on my 1988.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gas-...ategoryZ6755QQitemZ170607351726#ht_500wt_1182

It ends a couple of minutes, but I have the guy's number if you're interested...

cowboy4x4

Explorer
Justin I bought a 2001 E350 w/ V10 I know you said you didnt get good fuel mileage but do you know the actual numbers mine is not 4x4 YET and I want to know what to expect Thanks..... Thomas

blupaddler

Conspirator
A friend of mine with a 4wd Sportsmobile and the V10 gets around 10-12...
Start thinking extremely capable RV.

I only wished I got 10...
:Wow1:

BajaBus

Adventurer
Justin I bought a 2001 E350 w/ V10 I know you said you didnt get good fuel mileage but do you know the actual numbers mine is not 4x4 YET and I want to know what to expect Thanks..... Thomas

I got 11.6 mpg on the road from La Paz to Mulege with a good mix of hills and long straight stretches where I was doing a steady 80 mph. This was on 87 octane.

BajaBus

Adventurer
Wait just a sec . . .. . are you saying you spent 15 whole days in Mexico and you werent arrested, shot, shot at, kidnapped, accosted or in anyway shape or form mistreated by the locals? All the time traveling in that big orange bad boy!!!

This Buds for you, Mr Screw the Nay-Sayers and Bomb It On Down to Mexico. :costumed-smiley-007 Hopefully more details to follow.

There is virtually zero violence in Baja outside of Tijuana. I spend alot of time in La Paz and when you ask locals about drug violence they don't know anything about it. It just doesn't happen there. :sombrero:

BajaBus

Adventurer
Justin, I may have missed it somewhere, but what size tires are you running? How have they held up so far to the Baja abuse? What psi are you running in the above picture?

Thanks

BTW... There is a guy in Escondido selling a 40 gallon tank from a 93 E350. You might be able to put it in your van. I looked at it, but couldn't figure out how to make it work on my 1988.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gas-...ategoryZ6755QQitemZ170607351726#ht_500wt_1182

It ends a couple of minutes, but I have the guy's number if you're interested...

Thanks for that, Robb. I'd love to have a larger tank but I'm afraid it wouldn't fit because of the transfer case.

I have the General Grabber 18" tires and they are amazing. I was all the way down to about 30 psi there since I'd be on dirt for over 160 miles, then aired back up to 80 psi at Hwy 1. They handle the abuse so well but are nice and quiet on the road. There's a write-up review of this tire in the latest 4 Wheel Parts magazine.

Roonie

I have a sportsmobile with an SMB 4x4 conversion with V-10 2006 (9600 lb vehicle). I get consistently 12 mpg. On freeway usually 13. Around city usually 11-12. Also it has the transferflow gas tank installed for extra fuel. It either holds 37 or 47 gallons... have to check.

BajaBus

Adventurer
I have a sportsmobile with an SMB 4x4 conversion with V-10 2006 (9600 lb vehicle). I get consistently 12 mpg. On freeway usually 13. Around city usually 11-12. Also it has the transferflow gas tank installed for extra fuel. It either holds 37 or 47 gallons... have to check.

Where is the fuel tank installed? I only have 27 gal (if filled to the neck) and it's a little problematic in Baja. I've also driven my Excursion with a 47 gal tank down there and I can get almost to La Paz on one tank.

2040JAVIER

hello justin you might want to change the gear ratio on your axles to 4.30 gears i think you have right now 3.73 that way you get more mpg and the tires you have are the best out there remenber they are 17 ply they are built for baja i happy van has work well for you im going to start to build something for me like the one i sold you with pop top diesel and dually and color yellow sick...are you posting more pictures or are there more in your baja portal thanks see.

Roonie

Where is the fuel tank installed? I only have 27 gal (if filled to the neck) and it's a little problematic in Baja. I've also driven my Excursion with a 47 gal tank down there and I can get almost to La Paz on one tank.

It is located on the drivers side against the inside frame rail behind the atlas II transfer case and extends all the way to the rear axle. Also it is a 37 gallon tank.

BajaBus

Adventurer
hello justin you might want to change the gear ratio on your axles to 4.30 gears i think you have right now 3.73 that way you get more mpg and the tires you have are the best out there remenber they are 17 ply they are built for baja i happy van has work well for you im going to start to build something for me like the one i sold you with pop top diesel and dually and color yellow sick...are you posting more pictures or are there more in your baja portal thanks see.

Javier, yeah I want the 4.3 gears and intend to have them before I drive back to La Paz. The tires are top-notch for sure. Please keep me posted on what you build. I think you should do the same exact thing again with a diesel.

Attachments

• bus_0.jpg
    bus_0.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 111
  • bus_1.jpg
    bus_1.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 90
  • piedra_blanca_1.jpg
    piedra_blanca_1.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 150

Forum statistics

Threads