Ford E450 4x4...

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
Rear Overhang

I personally would cut that rear overhang up at some kind of angle. If you plan your lay-out right it will not restrict inside living space, it can effect storage space and door lay-out.
I like having better departure angle for those times (often out here) that you have to drive down into some narrow washbed and up the other side. I really hate dragging the tail and losing some weight on the wheels, and most stock bumpers act as good hooks.

pods8

Explorer
I had LLumar window security film installed today. In case you have never seen the product in action, you can check it out in this video.

On the flip side you remove the ability to bust out the window from the inside if you ever get trapped some how. Will one of those spring loaded glass breakers get through the film or no?

xracer144

Adventurer
I personally would cut that rear overhang up at some kind of angle. If you plan your lay-out right it will not restrict inside living space, it can effect storage space and door lay-out.
I like having better departure angle for those times (often out here) that you have to drive down into some narrow washbed and up the other side. I really hate dragging the tail and losing some weight on the wheels, and most stock bumpers act as good hooks.

I understand about the angled overhang. We seem to have more issues with that in the urban jungle than out in the boonies though. Entering and exiting gas stations and restaurant parking lots has left more than a few scrapes and gouges in the asphalt with our current rig. I would hope that being 8 or 9 inches taller than a regular rv will forgive some of that. I don't know if I can afford to give up storage area. We are already having floorplan wars! I would rather spend a day digging a buried trailer hitch out of the mud here and there, than spend the next 20 years listening to "see, I told you we should have blah, blah ,blah" :cool:

xracer144

Adventurer
On the flip side you remove the ability to bust out the window from the inside if you ever get trapped some how. Will one of those spring loaded glass breakers get through the film or no?

I'm 45 now and I have never had to kick a window out to get out of a vehicle. However, I have had several side windows smashed in other personal vehicles and in our work vans. Whenever we go to Disney Land or Las Vegas I can't totally relax when I'm away from the vehicle. When we are traveling for a month, our entire lives are inside that rig. To have it broken into and ransacked would suck big time. Alarms work ok, but a pro thief would know that an RV with out of country plates parked at Disney at 1 pm isn't likely gonna have the people come back to it till the park closes. The average guy nowadays just walks past a vehicle with an alarm going off and i don't blame them. Who wants to get beat up or clubbed for trying to be a good Samaritan?
On the trip back from California where I bought the chassis I stopped in Vegas for the night as my wife flew down to drive home with me. We stayed at the MGM and I parked the chassis in the parkade under the lights and cameras where security told me was safe spot. We went out the next morning to find the passenger side window smashed out and my winter work jacket gone from the cab. 2 days old and less than 1000 miles on it.
I just hope that the LLumar will hold the window together long enough to make a would be thief move on to an easier target.
I'll have a cutter/hammer in the center console though.

xracer144

Adventurer
Nice build ... hope to pass you in traffic one day when it is done to see in person :smiley_drive:

Yeah for sure! I doubt it will see any action this spring, but for sure this fall out in Sandilands if you ever get out that way. Maybe the odd Sunday night cruise night if it's complete before the nice weather goes away.

pods8

Explorer
I'll have a cutter/hammer in the center console though.

I was trying to confirm if you knew if those window hammers do work through the film from the inside or not. If so then the security window sounds pretty sweet.

If not then we each have to prioritize. Getting some stuff stolen sucks but in the once in a million chance where my life is on the line...

xracer144

Adventurer
I was trying to confirm if you knew if those window hammers do work through the film from the inside or not. If so then the security window sounds pretty sweet.

If not then we each have to prioritize. Getting some stuff stolen sucks but in the once in a million chance where my life is on the line...

The material is pretty thick. I would not rely solely on a hammer to punch through the Llumar, although I have never tested it for that. That's why I will have a hammer/cutter securely stowed.

xracer144

Adventurer
Thanks to Jay from the EcoRoamer team for the awesome spread sheet he built for the EcoRoamer build up. I have taken his and adapted it to my build. I can see how fast the weight and dollars add up!

In my travels I have begun to notice the curb weights of various off the rack RV's. Some of the larger e450 based motorhomes have a curb weight of over 13,000 lbs. That only leaves you 1500 lbs for people,pets, water, food, clothes, and all the other crap people pack into them! :Wow1:

xracer144

Adventurer
I'm having some serious weight issues. I've got things trimmed back as tight as possible but I know during construction that stuff is going to come up that will add weight. I have very little room to play with right now. I don't really believe that running a vehicle at or near it's maximum GVW is a good idea. I'm kind of at a stand still right now till i think things through. And somewhat bummed.

pods8

Explorer
Maybe post up your weight estimate and component/construction selection for folks to brainstorm with you?

Cat Jockey

Observer
I have struggled with the same issues - weight. I am surprised E450 is only Class 3? I thought E450's were up towards 16,000. I have a E350 ambulance with a 14,000 gvwr.

Things I have come to the conclusions of:

If you can pack everything in a Class 3 frame, you have more offroad advantages. A 14,000 lb. rig will get stuck less often and be easier to free than the same sized vehicle (say an F550) weighing 20,000 lbs.

And more vehicles will pass you capable of pulling you out with a lighter rig. And if they don't you have a much better chance of self rescue with a lighter rig. One other big problem is what that gvwr is rated for.

Example: A deuce and a half (not an expert) has a payload around 10,000lb. Unless you go offraod and the payload is cut in half to 5,000 lbs.

Point being, a domestic class 3 rated is designed for that gvwr ON-ROAD. Load it to capacity and then drive it off road, articulating suspension, etc, and something is going to break sooner or later - frame, suspension, etc.

I think you are right about not running right at gvwr, unless you are doing only highway and paved road driving (or good condition dirt).

Finances is the other determining constraint. Where I am at with the same chassis and same problem as you is being about 85% certain I am going to purchase a new chassis. There are some domestic cabovers in the class 4-8 range.

I am actually thinking thinking CDL, gvwr of 33,000lbs and a curb weight of 25,000-30,000. And then tow my baja bug behind it as I do not want to get 30,000lbs stuck in the mud and to access tighter places.

I don't know what year your e450 is or if selling it is an option, but you can get a cab over chassis for much less than $10,000. Pay $6,000 for a chassis, $6,000 for a brand new rebuilt diesel and you have a pretty cheap platform with a new engine.

But, I do know that if I take my Class 3, max out the gvwr and then off road drive it, something is going to break. Period.

It all depends upon your eventual goals. What you expect to do and get out of your rig and where you expect it to take you.

xracer144

Adventurer
Here are the weights I am working with.
Chassis 6500
camper body incl spare tire 3400
5 adults 900
50 gal h2o 500
sofa/dinette/bedding 450
fridge/stove /micro/propane 500
electronics/electrical/genset 400
plumbing fixtures 200
trailer tongue weight 500
total 13350 lbs
The chassis, camper body, adults and water cannot be changed. The rest of the weights can be tweaked somewhat, but not a great amount. Some of the 5-10 lb items have been included in the various areas making the weight seem a little high on paper but still necessary. Whats not included in here is any interior walls or cabinetry. No food. No junk in the underbody storage bins. I have 1150 to work with.
I'm looking into all aluminum cabinets now from Moduline www.modulinecabinets.com
and Ctech
www.racecabinet.com
If I install all wood, it won't take long to use up most of those 1150 lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior