Ford E450 4x4...

xracer144

Adventurer
I'm looking to do something along those lines I think, just slightly smaller. I'm thinking a 16 or 17 Ft box as opposed to the 18 that is pictured. Not quite as tall either. I'll be shaving 5 or 6 ft from our current motorhome and I'm struggling to fit everything in that I would like to have.

The 4x4 system is a Quigley setup.

864x4rv

Observer
that is exactly the kind of set up I been looking for. I have been looking at box trucks in hope of finding a nice box to place on my 1996 F250 7.3/5 sp extended cab truck or buying the box van and buying Chris's 4x4 set up.

Good luck with your build and remember to share with the rest of us.

xracer144

Adventurer
I received my plates in the mail!
picture.php
[/IMG]

xracer144

Adventurer
Well...I sold my Harley today, which was one of my self imposed conditions of the build. Now I have to decide if I'm going heavy weight aluminum exterior or fiberglass. On one hand I sure like the sleek look of the glass body. On the other hand I like the long term durability of the aluminum skin.

haven

Expedition Leader
Fiberglass may be durable enough. Kim and Don Greene, a couple who post here occasionally, had their fiberglass camper shell built by Unicell in Toronto. The Greenes have driven their camper all over North and South America, Australia and much of Europe without problems.

Here's the Greenes' web page that shows pictures of the camper under construction at Unicell. http://www.questconnect.org/exp_veh_construction_1.htm

xracer144

Adventurer
Fiberglass may be durable enough. Kim and Don Greene, a couple who post here occasionally, had their fiberglass camper shell built by Unicell in Toronto. The Greenes have driven their camper all over North and South America, Australia and much of Europe without problems.

Here's the Greenes' web page that shows pictures of the camper under construction at Unicell. http://www.questconnect.org/exp_veh_construction_1.htm

That is an awesome link and a great piece of information!
Thanks for posting!

crazy

Adventurer
This is the original body that was on my chassis. It was built for Homeland Security but ended up being too small. They removed the body from the E450 and placed it on a F650 or 750.
picture.php

Our tax dollars hard at work. The idiot that ordered it should be fired. GVW was probably maxed out leaving the factory.

P.S. I guess there is a silver lining. You got yourself a nice rig for probably a pretty good price.

Last edited:

xracer144

Adventurer
I did get the chassis for a pretty sweet price I must say. I don't think anyone is out any tax dollars though. From what I understand it was a prototype made for future consideration of making a fleet of them. I bought the chassis from the builder directly, not from the government.

xracer144

Adventurer
I have narrowed down my body selection to 2 now. The Aerocell is a 17" box, yet only 16' inside and 7'6 wide. I really like the look of this style.
picture.php

My other possible choice is an all aluminum ITB commercial truck body. It will be just over 17' long and a full 8' wide inside. This is almost the exact truck body here. Just add underbody boxes.
picture.php

I also have a specific floorplan for each. Since I only want to build this once, I was thinking of making a full size mock up of each out of cardboard in the shop. I dunno...seems a bit overkill...

Each one has its pros and cons. Looks, strength, durability, cost, function, ease of build, ease of maintenance...and many other considerations.

I'm open for comments/suggestions/advice.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
The fiberglass looks muck sleeker and lighter - both would contribute to better fuel mileage and off road capability. But then again, as a license plate frame I saw yesterday on a lifted V8 Durango said: Theres more to life than fuel mileage

I prefer the first option of the 2, bit Zippies ride gives me a happy face. I saw so many of those for sale when looking for our van cheap, but the wife wouldnt buy into the idea - and she's a bus driver.

xracer144

Adventurer
I'm actually leaning more towards the aluminum truck body. ITB makes utility vehicles up here and I see many from the 70's still running around. They might be a little sunburnt and tattered, but mostly intact.

I agree with the sportyness factor of the glass body. Very sleek. It is also about 300lbs heavier than the aluminum body as spec'd by the individual builders.

There's more to life than fuel mileage. Words to live by.:iagree:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior