Ford Escape e/x Build

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
Fuuuuuuu, that looks sketch!

I'm not going to lie, being afraid of heights I was a little nervous attempting this stunt.

I simply blindfolded myself and used a spotter. No worries! ;)

Regarding the long delay at the end before going down the ramp... I was preoccupied with changing my shorts... :eek:

Last edited:

OuterLimits

BIG BEAR SNOW DAY!!!

ecarole.jpg

Carole: Hey, Fugitive, you big stud!

Fugitive: That's me, honey.

Carole: Take me to snow or lose me forever.

Fugitive: Show me the way, honey.

I was suddenly feeling the need; The need for snow!!!

It was time to see how the Fugitive and her new Cooper shoes handle the mountain roads and snow. Big Bear had an overabundance of snow this season and was a target rich environment for such a test.

Before leaving on this trip I did a fair amount of web surfing to get a consensus on tire pressure for CA snow. The final answer;..It depends.

On road, the best arguments were to leave pressure at OEM levels. Off-road, drop the pressure some. If the tires are struggling, drop more pressure as needed.

On road, I ran the tires at 32 PSI. Not much snow on the road, so I really can't judge that. While tanking up in Big Bear, I met the driver of a sweet Pinzgauer that would be joining this trip. He suggested I start at 20 PSI off road. That's what I did.

The next morning I headed over to the rally point, the Big Bear visitor center. As rigs arrived, the count went over 60 off-road explorers wanting to play in the snow. That's a pretty big caravan, so the leader broke us into two groups to make things more manageable.

e_0824.jpge_0825.jpge_0827.jpg

As per usual, I was the low man on the totem pole, rig-wise. I was the only AWD style rig, no lo-speed transfer case, and easily the least capable. Job #1 is to not get stuck or otherwise embarrass myself.

estinger.jpg

"And let's not bull$hit, Fugitive. Your rig ain't the best in this outing. You need to be doing it better and cleaner than the other guy. Now what is it with you?"

As the leader pulled out, I tucked in behind him. No point in letting the big boys tear up the road before I get there.

e_0834.jpg

It was an impressive group of mostly Jeeps, some Toys, a few Montys, a G-Wagon and Pinzgauer to round it out.

The dirt roads were mostly packed icy/wet snow. I prefer driving in dry powder, due to the increased traction with siped up tires. The packed wet/icy snow can get a little slick, especially on inclines.

e_0838.jpg

Being first on the trail for the day, the lead rig was having to break his way through a few ice-holes. These were depressions in the road where water gathers during the day from snow melt. At night, these freeze over with 4" of ice, leaving more water below.

Most of these were pretty tame. The entrance and exit to the holes gently sloped in and out. The water ranged from 12-18 inches deep. No big deal, good clean fun.

e_0840.jpg

Next up, I see the lead rig drop down into an ice-hole. This one was much deeper than the rest. It made me a little nervous. The lead rig gets to the end of the hole and it's not a sloped ramp out, it's a step out. Crikey!

His Jeep pops out the other end unscathed. Impressive! If he can do it, I can do it! (Right).

I dropped down into the icy water. It was getting higher up on my grill than I was comfortable with. I adjusted my speed to keep a nice bow wave in front of me, and a depression below the engine. I got this!

Unbeknownst to me, my lower ground clearance and front spoiler were busy plowing chunks of ice to the far end of the pool. The step at the far end was completely concealed by the murky water. I had no way to visually pick a line. I reached the end and gave it a little extra gas to pop over the ledge.

I popped up on the step and proceeded to high center the Escape on the ledge, with chunks of ice underneath. Doh!!! Just 4 wheels spinning in the air and water, with no traction to be had.

(Just a typical ice-hole. Not the demon ice-hole)
e_0871.jpg
(Note the obnoxious ice blocks scattered about).

I won't lie to you. I was more than a little embarrassed being the first "stuck" of the day. So this is what it feels like to drive a cargo truck full of rubber dog $hit out of Hesperia!

Insult to injury, with the Escape nose high in the air, It was also butt low in the frigid water. All my recovery gear was in the back. Looks like I was going to get cold and wet. As I waded into what appeared to be a giant iced frappuccino... wet feet...wet shins... wet knees... wet thighs... (Wait for it.....Wait for it......)

eballs of fire.jpg

Goodness, gracious, great balls of ice!!!

Last edited:

OuterLimits

BIG BEAR SNOW DAY CONTINUED!!!

Time for a new strategy.

I went back to the driver's door and crawled over the seat backs to get to my recovery gear. While I this technique was drier and warmer, my mucked up pants and boots were making a mess of my upholstery. I secured my recovery bag and lugged it back out the front.

The Escape's two front recovery points are somewhere between & trail rated and & just tie downs. To accommodate, I run a short tow rope through the recovery strap eye, then connect the tow rope ends to each recovery point. This bridle divides the load between the two recovery points.

About a dozen freshly plowed ice blocks needed removal before commencing with recovery. With the ice tossed aside, the Jeep gave a tug and out I popped. He pulled me up the next hill a bit to make room for the next rig. As I put away my recovery gear (and licked my emotional wounds), I watched the next rig drop into the pool.

He was looking good till he hit the ledge. Same as me, he popped up, nose high, and stopped with the front wheels clawing at the air. I never wish ill will on a fellow explorer, but seeing the next in line also have to be extracted from the icy clutches of this ruthless beast took a bit of the sting out of my failure.

It was time to get the front of the line going, so I didn't get to watch any other attempts at the ledge. At lunch I heard that there were a few more rigs that struggled with the ledge. It seems the built rigs ate it all up, while some of the stock rigs stumbled. I didn't feel so bad after that, (Despite my frigid, wet, pants continuing to test my frosticles ) ;).

Note to self: Next time, don't go second in line through deep ice-holes. Let the big boys clear the ? out of the way before you get there. Could I have scaled the step going later in line? Hmmm, probably not. But, going second in line, I had zero chance.

Next on the agenda, the group made a history stop at the cabin of one of the early settlers to the Big Bear area.

Later, we made a lunch stop and found the road ahead was closed. That means back tracking. That means meeting my nemesis ice-hole again. D'oh!!!

This time gravity was in my side. I can just fall down the step, no need to climb. Learning from my previous mistake, I carefully inserted my rig well back in the caravan. My worry now was dropping nose first, off the step, into engine suffocating water.

The dreaded ice-hole loomed ahead of me. I finally reached the step. No guts, no glory! I touch the throttle and drop the nose in. The water came over the hood briefly, but as the back end dropped over the ledge, the Escape leveled out. No drowning, no recovery needed!

As we continued, there were a few poorly placed rocks in the road. The road was too narrow to drive around them, and I wasn't sure if I could take them down the middle, so I did a li'l rock crawling. I eased my right tire up on the rock. That wasn't bad. I then continued gently over the back side of the rock... CRACK!!!

D'oh! There goes my over priced factory hard plastic mud flap! I had been thinking about removing them anyway. Now I had a reason. Fortunately the rock didn't reach my door sills. The back tire went up and over the rock, but this time spared the mudflap.

On the hill climbs, I observed a few of the straight axle rigs doing a bit of fish-tailing in the icy snow. I don't know if this was due to tires, suspension, or specialty differentials. The Escape impressively tracked straight in the snow throughout the trip. I didn't feel any slipping or sliding, even on the hills.

We finished the trip going around the back side of the mountain, then returning to the visitor center.

Conclusions:

-The Cooper AT3s proved their worth in the wet snow.

-The Escape continues to impress me with its ability to put traction where it is needed, (front to back).

-No water made it into the differentials or transfer case from the cold water crossings.

- While not a Wrangler, the Escape is still a fun and capable adventure vehicle.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
reminds me of loading cars on a car hauler, terrifying.

Nature abhors a vacuum, and with the circus permanently out of town, something needs to be done.

I decided to try some circus stunts with my Escape. My budget is limited, so the whole thing was recorded in 180P video and edited in Bangkok.

I am currently holding auditions for a bearded woman or monkey boy that also owns an Escape. ;)

Hope you enjoy! :lurk:

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I've read, but have no experience myself, that due to the low hanging location of the alternator, it doesn't like being submerged in water. And it may not fail right away.

Hopefully that's not the case.

OuterLimits

I've read, but have no experience myself, that due to the low hanging location of the alternator, it doesn't like being submerged in water. And it may not fail right away. Hopefully that's not the case.

ET, The alternator position is not ideal, but the fugitive has been through years of water puddles (Pacific Northwest included) with no issues. Some of the valley flooding would lead to lengthy drives through alternator deep water. Never even a hiccup from the creator of electricity.

I did a lot of looking into the alternator failures years ago. The common denominator seemed to be extensive, high speed playing in filthy, soupy, muddy, water. I read of one Escape gathering at an off-road park where most of the rigs experienced alternator failures. All of the failed rigs went through one particularly filthy mud puddle (Driving at speeds high enough to throw brown roosters well above roof level). The Escapes that did not fail, bypassed that puddle (but played in many others).

My guess is, it's not the water causing the failure, but the high level of abrasive material and other contaminants contained in the muddy water. If the puddle is more like gravy than coffee, then stay the heck out. That kind of mud isn't doing any favors to many engine, drive-train, and suspension parts. If you have to go through, slow down!

As a rule, I don't play in mud. (OK, more of a guideline than a rule). I also have a skid plate to keep much of the remaining crud clear of sensitive under bits. I don't lose any sleep worrying about the alternator.

Cheers

Last edited:

OuterLimits

FUGITIVE GETS NEW TROUSERS

After a decade of dedicated and dapper duty, the time was due to dump the dingy duds.

The original seat covers had finally fallen victim to brutal buttox buffeting, fast food follies, filthy humans, filthy dogs, and buckets of canine spittle.

e_0946.jpge_0947.jpge_0948.jpg
e_0949.jpg

After relocating to a drier clime, I found the old camo motif, was just so Pacific Northwest.

It was time to get hip and edgy! It was time to embrace the climate change! It was time for Digital Desert Camo!!!

e_0950.jpge_0952.jpge_0953.jpge_0954.jpg

These new Cal-Trend seat covers have been a great fit (literally). So many of the seat covers I looked at had sloppy fit and cheap attachment hardware. Where most seat covers use flimsy bungie-cords and little hooks to secure them, the Cal-Trend covers use sturdy nylon straps and buckles. This is far more secure and allows me to precisely control the tension on the seat covers. I have received several unsolicited compliments. Some even thought it had been reupholstered. If you need seat covers, check them out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO2SQKS/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Do my eyes deceive me? An Escape with Sparcos and AT3s?! This is so cool and so refreshing. Awesome build. We share much of the same mindset - I'm doing the same with my little Subaru!

OuterLimits

Do my eyes deceive me? An Escape with Sparcos and AT3s?!

specs.jpg Cancel that appointment to the optometrist! Your peepers are within specs (pun not intended).

This is so cool and so refreshing. Awesome build. We share much of the same mindset

Thanks man! Great minds and such.

- I'm doing the same with my little Subaru!

I've been following and diggin' your build. Keep it going brother!

balexander87

Observer
Got any updates coming up? Love reading about all the stuff you've been able to do with this rig. Makes me look forward to the time when my '08 VUE needs new tires and I can slap a set of one-size-up A/T on it and go do some exploring!

I'm curious, and I apologize if you've mentioned this and I just missed it, what do you do for recovery points? That is the one thing about the VUE that has me stymied. I've got a tow hitch in the rear that should be good, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out what I would hook a recovery strap to up front!

OuterLimits

Got any updates coming up?

Yes indeed! The updates will be less fast and furious, but they will continue.

Currently I am getting caught up on routine maintenance (change fluids: radiator, transmission, transfer case, front/rear differentials).This incudes replacement of some parts that are getting long in the tooth: (rear hatch struts, front/right window regulator, replace sun trashed headlights, etc).

All this is tedious, and takes time and money. None of this is sexy, but it is definitely crucial for max reliability and function.

Next on the schedule is working on a tool/repair kit to allow field repair of basic snafus and fubars. :Mechanic: Under the rear floor is a poorly designed mass of plastic that I will repurpose to allow full time availability for tools and spares storage. I am looking forward to getting this done.

Future planned upgrades:

-12VDC power distribution block (fuse box)

-Dual battery or batt upgrade and separate portable jump start battery. Install automatic low voltage battery cutoff circuit.

-Communications package (2m, CB, FRS)

-Upgrade transmission cooler.

-Differential/Transfer case breathers.

-Reinforce front recovery points.

-Sill protection (simple sliders)

-Improve driving and utility lighting (driving lights?, Light bar?, additional back-up lighting, work area lighting, etc)

-Complete recovery kit, including external mounting of traction boards.

-Window tinting for front driver/passenger windows.

-Dash mat to squelch annoying glare on windshield.

-Satin black vinyl on hood? (a nod to my original desert race wanna-be mini-pickup truck) :cool:

-Storage system for expo gear.

-Put together expo kit.

That’s all I can rattle off the top of my head right now. I expect this endeavor will be a never-ending "work in progress".

Goal: Stay on top of maintenance and make logical/affordable upgrades as needed.

(To be continued)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears