Ford escape help

bobboberson

Hi I'm new to car camping and off roading. I have a 2010 escape with a v6 and two wheel drive. I'm looking to make it more unique and better suited for camping. I would be doing just mild forest service roads. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

JumpinFord

Observer
Honestly there wont be a lot of things you can do to the vehicle itself. It is what it is. Like above, get a good set of AT tires. You also need to leek and see where the air intake for the engine is. if its down below the bumper, consider getting an aftermarket intake that locates the filter high in the engine compartment so that any kind of water crossing wont turn your engine into a couple hundred pumps of scrap metal. If you plan on pulling long uphill grades you might see about additional transmission cooling. Don't let anyone tell you you need a different vehicle. I use to go deer hunting in my 2002 Ford Focus station wagon. That thing sat even lower than your Escape :) You may choose to upgrade later, but for now, just go have fun. You'll also be getting fuel mileage that most of us only dream about!

After that, its all up to you, and these rules apply to anyone leaving the pavement. Crawl under the vehicle and learn where things are. In the event your fire road gets a little washed out, you want to know where the low hanging points on the car are so you can avoid them. Learn to drive so that your tires go over the larger obstacles you cant go around, not the center of your car. Figure out your needs when camping versus your wants, and pack accordingly. You don't want to overload that vehicle. There are some nice tents out there that attach to the back of your vehicle, allowing you to use your car for sleeping or storage if need be. Really its gonna be up to you at this point. If you have specific questions on gear or what ever, this is the place to ask.

JumpinFord

Observer
An air mattress will conform to pretty much anything. Measure the inside width and length of your vehicle with the seats down and see if you should go with a full or a queen. I use an air mattress and love it. I just throw a sleeping bag between it and my bedding to give it a little cush and its darn near as good as my sleep number bed.

If you plan on sleeping in it I would make sure all of your gear is stowed in either foot locker style trunks or good rubbermaid totes. You're going to have to pull all of your stuff out and setup camp to sleep in the vehicle and you don't want critters eating your goodies. Even if you dont sleep in it, I would consider a tent just for the gear. It will keep the weather off it and add one more layer of critter protection.

BBsound

Adventurer
My wife has the same vehicle same year. It is not a bad little ride.
I think a decent set of AT tires, and knowing your limitations would get you down many forest roads.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Old Man Emu makes lift springs which will raise the Escape 1.75" and allow a slightly bigger/more aggressive tire. It's best to replace the springs and struts at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78