Ford Expedition overland build?

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

Saw some Qs, so I thought I'd answer as I am currently the proud owner of a 2020 XLT FX4 Expy with HD tow package and working on making it more off-road worthy. As a side note, the Expy's room, power, towing, and economy lead the class (maybe the '21 Tahoes can match/exceed some?). This thing is FAST, even on 87 octane (faster with 91+, confirmed by car mags).

This is THE Expy off-road combo as it comes with skid plates, 2-HI, AWD, 4-HI (center diff-lock), proper 4-LOW, 3.73s, and push button on/off rear E-locker (which you can run in 2wd). Also has a true "neutral" for dolly towing. The Fx4 comes with different terrain control/sport modes, hill descent, and the HD adds more cooling for the transmission (and 9100lbs of towing) with HD tow (both options net the 3.73s). The FX4 comes with Michelin Primacy 275/65-18s (32.1 inch) highway tires, but will take moderately wider 33s w/o rubbing, but a 1.5 inch Bilstein 5100 shock lift helps here. The wells are pretty tight...

TTBOMK, this Expy is the lightest weight off-road/heavy tow combo w/3rd row w/o adding the million options it can come with and can carry 1764 lbs as well (IIRC my gross weight sticker).

Thin 34s (below 34.5s and 12 inch width) will still realistically require a suspension lift (a lot of guys run coil spacers for 3-2 inches of lift but I don't like them) via Bilsteins 1.5 (Expy specific shocks), 3 inch (F150 shocks, which fit) front, and 1.5 inc rear(Expy spec) with some minor zip tie-ing, trimming, and some wheel off-set adjustments.

To run true 35x12.5s will require a person significantly more committed.

There are full blown ICON shocks/upper control arms, adjustable to 2.25 inch lifts available as well, and KINGS has something--ALSO (just added this here) there are tire mounted hitch swings and plentiful roof racks (200lb with factory rails, no sunroof).

As always, YMMV and rubbing situations. Wish I had some pics, but still waiting for my kit to get here...

Last edited:

skrypj

Saw some Qs, so I thought I'd answer as I am currently the proud owner of a 2020 XLT FX4 Expy with HD tow package and working on making it more off-road worthy. As a side note, the Expy's room, power, towing, and economy lead the class (maybe the '21 Tahoes can match/exceed some?). This thing is FAST, even on 87 octane (faster with 91+, confirmed by car mags).

This is THE Expy off-road combo as it comes with skid plates, 2-HI, AWD, 4-HI (center diff-lock), proper 4-LOW, 3.73s, and push button on/off rear E-locker (which you can run in 2wd). Also has a true "neutral" for dolly towing. The Fx4 comes with different terrain control/sport modes, hill descent, and the HD adds more cooling for the transmission (and 9100lbs of towing) with HD tow (both options net the 3.73s). The FX4 comes with Michelin Primacy 275/65-18s (32.1 inch) highway tires, but will take moderately wider 33s w/o rubbing, but a 1.5 inch Bilstein 5100 shock lift helps here. The wells are pretty tight...

TTBOMK, this Expy is the lightest weight off-road/heavy tow combo w/3rd row w/o adding the million options it can come with and can carry 1764 lbs as well (IIRC my gross weight sticker).

Thin 34s (below 34.5s and 12 inch width) will still realistically require a suspension lift (a lot of guys run coil spacers for 3-2 inches of lift but I don't like them) via Bilsteins 1.5 (Expy specific shocks), 3 inch (F150 shocks, which fit) front, and 1.5 inc rear(Expy spec) with some minor zip tie-ing, trimming, and some wheel off-set adjustments.

To run true 35x12.5s will require a person significantly more committed.

There are full blown ICON shocks/upper control arms, adjustable to 2.25 inch lifts available as well, and KINGS has something--ALSO (just added this here) there are tire mounted hitch swings and plentiful roof racks (200lb with factory rails, no sunroof).

As always, YMMV and rubbing situations. Wish I had some pics, but still waiting for my kit to get here...

Digging up an old thread, sorry, but how do you put the 2018+ expedition in 4H? All the pictures I have seen on the center console only have 2H, 4A, 4L and diff lock buttons.

My dad has a 2017 Expedition and it has the dash knob identical to my 2014 F150 with 2H, 4A, 4H and 4L.

Has anyone looked into swapping to the Raptor Hi-Lock t-case. Its a fairly straight forward swap on the F150's, just requires the t-case, TCCM swap and maybe a little messing around with Forscan. The one thing I would be concerned about is that the TCCM on the F150 controls the rear differential lock and wondering if the same would be true for an eLSD equipped Expedition.

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

The dial has different terrain sellects, and 1 or 2 will 'lock' in 4 hi. Check YT, Gaggle, or manual. Might be sand mode, again IIRC. Sold truck 6 months ago. My biggest beef was the 4Hi and Rear all locked by clutch and were capable of slipping and being overheated--not what you want in a 3 ton truck while off-roading.

skrypj

The dial has different terrain sellects, and 1 or 2 will 'lock' in 4 hi. Check YT, Gaggle, or manual. Might be sand mode, again IIRC. Sold truck 6 months ago. My biggest beef was the 4Hi and Rear all locked by clutch and were capable of slipping and being overheated--not what you want in a 3 ton truck while off-roading.

Thats why I was wondering about the raptor hilock t-case. It still has 4Auto but mechanically locks in 4Hi and Lo.

I thought I heard the Timberline came with additional cooling for the rear diff?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan