Ford Expedition overland build?

phsycle

Adventurer
I have two kids. I sold my cherry 07 Sequoia to my dad last yr and picked up a Platinum 2019 HD package Expedition. So far I really like it. The Elocker rear end was a big item for me given these full sized rigs they get stuck easily on crossed up stuff, thats the Sequoia failure thats gotten me stuck on some very basic stuff.

Stock the current Expedition sits on huge tires! So very easy to toss meaty rubber on with no mods. They actually carry 11 inches of clearance like my old 07 Sequoia. The 10spd and the 3.5 are a super impressive combo. I see 21-24mpg road trip tank averages. My Sequoia was 15-16mpg road trip average. The expedition easily competes with my 2.5L Subaru for Road trip range between fuel stops which does matter in the areas we like to travel. The Sequoia was only just Ok in that regard with my old J80 being so bad I quit using it for trips after three long trips and visiting every gas station that existed along the route?.

Eventually the factory 22’s on my Expedition will likely get swapped to 20’s. But I think I’ll put some more AT / hybrid 22 tire on it before then and see how it does. In stock form I’m very impressed.

You sure you have an Elocker? I thought they came with a e-Limited slip.

Two kids in an Exp. Probably not a lot of fights initiated from “dad, he’s on my side of the car! He’s breathing my air! He took my seat belt!” ?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You sure you have an Elocker? I thought they came with a e-Limited slip.

Two kids in an Exp. Probably not a lot of fights initiated from “dad, he’s on my side of the car! He’s breathing my air! He took my seat belt!” ?
Yep the HD max tow kit gets the HD rear end with a push button rear locker. Yeah it works especially when accidentally locked on pavement ?‍♂️
We have family near by and Pre Covid we often were traveling with elders in tow. Also Pre COViD I was swim team, sailing practice, Volleyball practice team bus.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Keep in mind todays new fancy 3 row rigs are configured differently than the old 3rd row gets pulled out and left home SUVs. The floor has been raised so seats basically tuck into the floor. As a result for example the new Ford Explorer has very slightly less floor to rear hatch opening height than my Subaru Outback had?. So the new midsized “SUVs” are not like the old ones regarding utility space and large rear hatch openings.
My 2019 Expedition side by side with my 07 Sequoia they are identical in exterior height near Identical in length but the Expedition is much wider.
Rear hatch lift over height on the Expedition is much higher than the Sequoia. The sequoia floor to hatch opening height is 4 inches taller than the Expedition floor to rear hatch opening height.

Even roof line rear floor to roofI lost about 3 inches of space which does impact large gear stowage ability 19 Expedition vs 07 Sequoia. But I gained about 3 inches of floor width over the Sequoia so its a little bit of a toss up. The hood line seems shorter on the Expedition which likely changes the first two row seating space / format making them feel more roomy over the 07 Sequoia.

The Expedition does have more rear end bob than the Sequoia even in firm sport mode, the suspension is definitely tuned differently but still very controlled just a very different ride. The Sequoia was very compliant truck ride quality and the Expedition is very huge sedan like ride quality. Driving impressions the Expedition drives easy and goes where you point it with the 22’s its not sloppy but I could see more rubber giving it a more sloppy feel on turn in vs the Sequoia even with more rubber was decent and didn’t feel sloppy.

Both trucks give nice compliant long haul ride quality the Expedition clearly the sedan like quality being nicer on long hauls. They aren’t XJ’s or FJ’s so logically your not going to be trail bashing on tight trails but more spacious rough roads they are as good or better than the pickups if you consider the weight distribution and more advanced suspension. The Sequoia bombs down dirt roads nicer than the Tundra for the same reasons the Expedition will have advantages over the F150 etc.

The HD equipped Expedition gets rated in the 9300lb max range. The standard Expedition which is 6000lb max tow also only gets AWD not 2spd transfer case it lacks the rear HD rear end with locker also.

Ford is getting crazy with all kinds of different packages its almost a part time job to try and keep the packaging straight.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
No affiliation:
Has a 4th gen Expedition. I’m personally not a fan of them.

phsycle

Adventurer
No affiliation:
Has a 4th gen Expedition. I’m personally not a fan of them.

That’s pretty awesome. Props to that guy taking it on those trails. Black paint and all. That made me even a bigger fan of them. I’ve always liked Suburbans over Exp/Excursions, but the new ones are winning me over. This guy did it right with an Icon lift, 34” on 17’s.

Grassland

I have two kids. I sold my cherry 07 Sequoia to my dad last yr and picked up a Platinum 2019 HD package Expedition. So far I really like it. The Elocker rear end was a big item for me given these full sized rigs they get stuck easily on crossed up stuff, thats the Sequoia failure thats gotten me stuck on some very basic stuff.

Stock the current Expedition sits on huge tires! So very easy to toss meaty rubber on with no mods. They actually carry 11 inches of clearance like my old 07 Sequoia. The 10spd and the 3.5 are a super impressive combo. I see 21-24mpg road trip tank averages. My Sequoia was 15-16mpg road trip average. The expedition easily competes with my 2.5L Subaru for Road trip range between fuel stops which does matter in the areas we like to travel. The Sequoia was only just Ok in that regard with my old J80 being so bad I quit using it for trips after three long trips and visiting every gas station that existed along the route?.

Eventually the factory 22’s on my Expedition will likely get swapped to 20’s. But I think I’ll put some more AT / hybrid 22 tire on it before then and see how it does. In stock form I’m very impressed.
I was fiddling with the builder on ford.ca and noted some clashing with option packages. Choosing HD towing gave u some or most of the FX4 options but IIRC I couldn't select both. What size are your tires? The ones specified by the program suggested they were 32s only.
How much bigger do you figure you could fit on stock wheel offset without rubbing?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I was fiddling with the builder on ford.ca and noted some clashing with option packages. Choosing HD towing gave u some or most of the FX4 options but IIRC I couldn't select both. What size are your tires? The ones specified by the program suggested they were 32s only.
How much bigger do you figure you could fit on stock wheel offset without rubbing?
285’s can’t recall I think 65’s or 70’s. I’ll check later.
285’s are typically 34inch tires. They are bigger than 33’s. Not 35’s

calicamper

Expedition Leader
That’s pretty awesome. Props to that guy taking it on those trails. Black paint and all. That made me even a bigger fan of them. I’ve always liked Suburbans over Exp/Excursions, but the new ones are winning me over. This guy did it right with an Icon lift, 34” on 17’s.
Yeah I’ve seen that guys vids. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t have the locking rear diff. Also not sure he has 2spd transfer case. When I got mine most dealers had a bunch of various XLT and Limiteds that were AWD basic. Ford had some sort of special label models which were common to see But I never looked at them not my style. The FXs I saw had the 2spd transfer case and locking diff, but the three I looked at all had a strange range of options missing or added and even the sales staff couldn’t make heads or tails out of the packaging. I think lots of buyers buy these only to discover they aren’t rated to tow much ie end up with the basic setup 6000lbs and no 4x4 Low.

But all the dealers had Platinum’s loaded and were begging to deal on those given they are $$$$ and hard to sell. MSRP was $84,500 on mine before Tax mine was $72,000 when I wrote the check. The FX’s the dealers weren’t dealing on nor were they dealing on the more optioned Limiteds I found two Limiteds with the Heavy tow pack but they weren’t willing to deal. In the end I got my loaded Platinum for $1000 less than the loaded Limited one dealer was willing to negotiate on.

oddly in my region the GMC guys were not negotiating on the old generation 2019 Yukons which I liked but wasn’t impressed with the seating or lack of tech. I have seen the new Yukon, I like it, but its even bigger than the wide ass Expedition ?. Not sure I would go larger for my needs

steeltoe

I just bought a 2012 Ford Expedition Limited and have plans to do a build. My primary "overland" goal is being able to do back country road trips over logging and forest roads, and not so much the "rock crawling with a camper attached to my truck" I see on YouTube. I chose the Expedition (specifically pre-4th gen) because of its size, the F-150 base, and... they were about half to 2/3 the price of a Sequoia or 4Runner for the same year & trim.

I like that I can live in the back half with my gear and have plenty of room to be comfortable, that the engine is (fingers-crossed) supposed to make it to 300k, that it has ~9" of ground clearance stock, and a powerful low gear. I haven't had any trouble finding a compatible levelling kit, suspension upgrades, 33" tires, or off-road wheels. These are things I considered essential. Though I am disappointed in what's available for bumpers and sliders, but I don't consider these necessary parts for the type of off-roading I intend to subject it to. Eventually, I'll probably just buy a heavy duty brush guard and cut the front fender.

I think in general, the 2nd & 3rd gen Expeditions don't get enough credit for their potential as a cheap & powerful rig, though I agree that compared to like... a Wrangler or a Tacoma, the Expedition only ranks about "fair" overall.

Works for me though.

Attachments

• IMG_8608.PNG
    IMG_8608.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8591.jpg
    IMG_8591.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
So some 3.5L things to note. Some time mid ish 2019 Ford quietly changed some things on the 3.5. When I bought mine October 2019 I wasn’t aware of these changes.

So first off up till mid ish 2019 the 3.5L like the other Eco boost engine family engines we’re getting black ABS plastic oil pans. I had figured mine had that also. But my first oil change I was super confused for a few minutes when I didn’t find a ABS oil pan under my Expedition. I googled it while laying under the truck with oil changing gear in hand lol. So to my surprise Ford had quietly changed to a cast Aluminum pan roughly mid 2019 production run. So I was pretty pleased by my random timing. Also the cam phaser thing that seemed to plague the F150 and Expeditions, after doing lots of digging I could only find some random off hand suggestions that it looked like Ford had tweaked the cam phaser parts possibly around the same time they went Aluminum oil pan.

So if your shopping new or newish 4th gen that’s definitely something to keep on your radar.

I know at least with the Platinum the big sound deadening cover under the engine makes it near impossible to do a quick visual peek for the ABS vs Aluminum oil pan. I think the FX has a metal shield where my Platinum has the sound card so likely the same deal making it a bigger effort to eye ball the oil sump?.
Due to the Biggest Buck in town charging my Expedition head on mid day when I only had 980 miles on the clock?‍♂️. And now COViD I only have 11,000 on the clock. Due to the Cam phaser thing and turbo oil type/quality and change schedule is pretty important. I’m about to do my 2nd oil change shortly at 6000 miles oci. Apart from having to pull the sound card off the bottom everything is easily accessible. My wifes Fusion is near identical regarding the heavy sound card screwed in under the engine.
I’m not super Brand fan boy specific, I’ve had 25yrs of Toyota trucks after 12yrs of Ford Truck prior to that, had in tandem with the Toyotas my DD and light road trip Subarus. Wife had a VW which I didn’t like. I bought a real barn find SLK350 for Grandpa back in 2011 and he drove it about 3 miles a week between his place and ours. I drove it work occasionally and wife and I would take it on kid free weekend trips up and down the Coast, its a late 05 and has 23,000 miles on it?. Yes it was a real barn find, parked in a barn with 12,000 miles on it?.

If I were to shop today for the Expedition I think the only thing I would do differently is knowingly check for the Aluminum Oil pan and go light color interior over black interior. Other than that maybe a anti Buck mounting device on the front end. Damn Buck hit me at a full run right between the headlights. I was only doing 30mph and stopped just sat there as the dumb ass charged right into me. Zero damage to the fenders, big head print in my hood and he was so kind to fold into a giant ball and go over the bumper and under the hood! $15,500 in parts! Nothing major bent except the radiator and top cross member, but all the plastics were toast, backs of the headlights were sheered off etc.

5 weeks at a top shop all Ford parts which were tough to get given how new it was. Grrrrrr

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Look for one with the EcoBoost then call Hennesey?
Lol yeah having the 400hp Platinum, even that is bonkers. My little town is all 35mph small streets and I live 8 miles via 35mph from the Highway. These rigs are big so even though its fun to goose my SLK350 a bit around town I find I have no desire to goose the Expedition. Getting on the highway however these new engines and transmissions are really impressive, very efficient at getting up to speed they don’t feel like they are running hard at all when your launching onto and past highway traffic in a giant SUV lol.

Grassland

285’s can’t recall I think 65’s or 70’s. I’ll check later.
285’s are typically 34inch tires. They are bigger than 33’s. Not 35’s
I'm on ford.ca, an XLT with FX4 package has 275/65R18 which is a 32 and it has a two speed transfer case but only electronic limited slip.
I've honestly not looked at higher trims as the XLT is honestly too loaded up with gadgets for my liking and out of my price range.
I'll fiddel with the higher trims and see what changes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan