Ford F150 Raptor project

Fresno

Adventurer
now, ..this is what you can get for a measly $16k

0811or_14_z+2005_toyota_tacoma_4wd_trd_terrific_tacoma+front.jpg

http://offroad.automotive.com/94428/0811or-2005-toyota-tacoma-4wd-trd-terrific-tacoma/index.html

try to imagine what could be done by dumping another $24k into it.

Really? A 2005 magazine project truck loaded with comp'ed parts and free labor? Sure thing. They sell these where?

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
although i'm a toyota nut, this kind of argument is silly.

First of all, Ford made a production desert runner. Not Toyota.
They come stock with FOX racing shocks, LT suspension and 6.2L grunt. Not Toyota. Ford developed this product into a genuine performace offroad star that comes with a full factory warranty.

For what they did, the price is more than fair. If you want a genuine production exotic truck, this is it.

As for the warranty, Ford specifically passed durability tests for the Raptor so it could offer the warranty.
Can you run Baja1000 and bring it back broken to have it covered? Probably not, but no factory warranty covers Hummer, Jeep, Dodge nor does a factory warranty cover track abused Vettes, Lambos or Vipers either.

It's a great truck. Ford is proud of it and rightly so. I wish more truck companies would develop production trucks for enthusiasts.
It's like Ford hired a group of US (you and me) to go play in R&D and make the ultimate F150.
What has Toyota done for you lately? Lots of good SEMA candy, nothing on the showroom floor.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions

They come stock with FOX racing shocks, LT suspension and 6.2L grunt. Not Toyota. Ford developed this product into a genuine performace offroad star that comes with a full factory warranty.

For what they did, the price is more than fair. If you want a genuine production exotic truck, this is it.

As for the warranty, Ford specifically passed durability tests for the Raptor so it could offer the warranty.
Can you run Baja1000 and bring it back broken to have it covered? Probably not, but no factory warranty covers Hummer, Jeep, Dodge nor does a factory warranty cover track abused Vettes, Lambos or Vipers either.

It's a great truck. Ford is proud of it and rightly so. I wish more truck companies would develop production trucks for enthusiasts.
It's like Ford hired a group of US (you and me) to go play in R&D and make the ultimate F150.
What has Toyota done for you lately? Lots of good SEMA candy, nothing on the showroom floor.

Well said. After seeing one in person, it really changed my perspective on them.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader

x3 great post! I've seen about 5 of these in SoCal parking lots and I always do a slow lap around them to check out.

haven

Expedition Leader
According to Pickuptrucks.com, Ford engineers will place an EcoBoost turbo V6 in the racing version of the Raptor for durability tests during races this Summer and Fall.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/06/sources-ford-svt-raptor-r-to-be-powered-by-ecoboost-v6.html

Racing success is one way F150 owners might be persuaded to buy V6-powered trucks. Today, the EcoBoost V6 makes as much power and torque as the 5.4L V8. The turbo and variable valve timing puts lots of torque at low RPM, too. The V6 definitely has better fuel economy. But traditional truck buyers want the V8.

78Bronco

Explorer
According to Pickuptrucks.com, Ford engineers will place an EcoBoost turbo V6 in the racing version of the Raptor for durability tests during races this Summer and Fall.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/06/sources-ford-svt-raptor-r-to-be-powered-by-ecoboost-v6.html

Racing success is one way F150 owners might be persuaded to buy V6-powered trucks. Today, the EcoBoost V6 makes as much power and torque as the 5.4L V8. The turbo and variable valve timing puts lots of torque at low RPM, too. The V6 definitely has better fuel economy. But traditional truck buyers want the V8.

I would rather a turbo'd inline 6 with DOHC cross flow head because they have a stronger bottom end.

haven

Expedition Leader
Automobile Magazine sends a writer to ride along with the Yuma AZ sheriff's department as they drive their first Raptor along El Camino del Diablo. Most of the article is filled with observations about how life in the borderlands is different ("in Yuma, you can buy cowboy hats at gas stations"). But there are a few paragraphs worth reading.

Cruising along the sandy track in comfort at 60 mph makes the Raptor a great choice for patrol work along the border. It will be interesting to learn how the Raptor holds up to driving El Camino del Diablo on a daily basis.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1008_2010_ford_f_150_svt_raptor_on_patrol/index.html

haven

Expedition Leader
Ford dealers are accepting orders for the new 2011 Raptor. The truck will be available in Super Cab and Super Crew configurations, both with 5.5 foot bed, and both with the new 6.2L V8 only.

Pickuptrucks.com is reporting that the Super Crew model will ride on a wheelbase that's 12 inches longer than the Super Cab. The Super Crew's extra length permits a fuel tank that holds 36 gallons, 10 gallons more than the Super Cab. Both trucks have a cargo capacity close to 1000 lbs., so it's best to take only your skinny friends on a ride with you.

The Super Crew Raptor is rated to tow up to 8000 lbs. The Super Cab model tows only 6000 lbs.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/0...d-f150-svt-raptor-supercrew-and-supercab.html

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Too bad the Supercab doesn't share the same platform and they lengthen the bedand throw in the 36 gal tank. Makes too much sense I guess. I stood nest to one of the 5.4 versions recently. Those suckers are WIDE! pinstrips coming up!

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
This guy seems to be 'using' his Raptor :Wow1:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D293JE35vPE"]YouTube - Best Ford Raptor Jump[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman