Ford F350 Shock Upgrade Recommendations

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Get a set of new take off tremor shocks, cruise the forums you’ll find some cheap. Drive it another 60k then figure out what’s next.

I pulled a set of Tremor springs and struts off this weekend

Attachments

• 6D7CB294-9C34-41FD-8B6B-1CCAC3E77C6C.jpeg
    6D7CB294-9C34-41FD-8B6B-1CCAC3E77C6C.jpeg
    652.8 KB · Views: 14
I’ll venture into this discussion since I’ve run quite a few variations. Rancho 9000s…my OCD found me under the truck trying to find the perfect tune for different profiles. I was too cheap to buy the remote controller. FOX shocks were fantastic in high speed desert running, something I did only occasionally and had me questioning the price and life cycle. Big Monroes worked for awhile, they just didn’t hold up. Finally settled on Bilsteins, both 4600 and 5100. The only difference between the two, according to the Bilstein rep I spoke with, is the length of the shock for lifted trucks. I like the simplicity, price, and improved ride with the Bilsteins. I’m not as obsessed as I used to be about them, but I do switch out shocks with each set of new tires. Your rig is not for racing, find that sweet spot between price and durability.

I just received a full set of the Bilstein 4600's yesterday. Today I stopped by the diesel mechanic cause my Service Engine Soon light keeps coming on. Anyhow, FWIW and especially to the people that suggested leaving the stock shocks on if they're not leaking, the diesel mechanic said that's not always the case. He said that the bushings were shot on my stock shocks and he doubted that they would have lasted for the duration of our upcoming trip. In my case, preventive maintenance was a good idea. He also said that it's possible that all of the fluid can leak from a shock and the owner may not even notice. Then you're basically driving with zero shock performance. FWIW.....

Slocral46.....my first observation.....

The mechanic installed the shocks front & rear a couple of days ago. He said that the stock shocks had maybe 10 % life left in them (truck has 62,000 miles). I've only put maybe 50 miles on the truck since the exchange and I guess that the one difference I've noticed is that these shocks are soooo much stiffer than the old stock shocks. Most of those 50 miles were towing my Jeep from shop to shop (I'm assuming that makes no difference in shock performance). Soon enough (I think) I'll be mounting the massive truck camper and I'm interested to see if it makes a difference.....from what I've read here I'm guessing not.

20221007_095727_copy_1200x2469.jpg

20221007_095745_copy_1200x2469.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Apples to bananas comparison but I switched out the stock units on my ‘19 ranger with 80k for Bilsteins.
It feels more stable now. I would punch the gas on the highway before and the little turbo would rocket up to 80ish mph and it started to feel a little sketchy at that point.
Now with the new shocks I’ve hit close to 100 and it’s a lot better.
I wouldn’t say the ride is any smoother but it’s more controlled.

rruff

Explorer
I put Ironman FCPs on my Tundra about 6 months ago. The stock shocks had less than 20k miles, so not worn out. I removed the swaybar right before, and drove the truck on a twisty road to see the difference that made. Defintely more wallow and sway than with the swaybar.

I wasn't expecting much difference with new shocks, but it was huge. On the road I'd describe it as firmer, but not harsh. Handling seems much more controlled, especially if there is any roughness. Feels very planted, with good traction. Sudden turning movements are well damped, but I'm surely getting more sway in sweeping turns than if I had swaybars... but with the truck empty I don't miss the swaybar at all. I live in an area where I drive on winding roads a lot. The rougher it is the more impressed I am with the shocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle