Ford Ranger, 2021 and the new 2024, questions

Markal

We put a desposit down for a Tacoma and we're waiting (3 weeks and counting). The wait has given me time to develop 2nd thoughts about the cost of Tacoma with the options we want ($53k+) and look around some more and I'm starting to like what I've leaned about the Ranger, both the previous generation (2019-2023) and the new updated version just hitting dealerships now. It looks like we can get a new Ranger XLT with the FX4 package and few other features we really want for about $7k less than the Tacoma. The Tacoma would come with other nice features, but they are features we can live without. Going with a lower option package on the Toyota means going without some features we want.

I've also found a 2021 Ranger XLT with FX4 package on Carmax and I've reserved it for a test drive (they're moving to a closer dealership for free). It's got $30k miles and is $36,000, so about $10k cheaper than a new 2024. Obviously the 2024 will have some nicer, modern features.

Any particular issues to look for in a 2021 Ranger?

Dougnuts

Ford didn’t fix the CDF drum, in the 10 speed, until August 15th, 2022.

I can’t remember the details, but I think Ford has overtaken Toyota in some overseas markets. I wouldn’t hesitate to get a new Ranger. With that said, the benefit to a Tacoma will be resale and the fact that Toyota won’t change it for the next 10 years.

Markal

Ford didn’t fix the CDF drum, in the 10 speed, until August 15th, 2022.

I can’t remember the details, but I think Ford has overtaken Toyota in some overseas markets. I wouldn’t hesitate to get a new Ranger. With that said, the benefit to a Tacoma will be resale and the fact that Toyota won’t change it for the next 10 years.
Fair point. I've found a 2024 Ranger to test drive (assuming it doesn't sell before I get there this evening).

Markal

For 7K less, I'd be in a Ranger. That's a pretty big difference. I'd probably look at the Canyon / Colorado as well. If you live in an area where you get snow, the Auto 4x4 feature the GM twins have would be nice.
I've decided against the GM twins because I don't trust the reliability as much. Based on what I've read, I have more confidence in the Tacoma and Ranger despite being new designs.

Agree that 7k is enough of a difference to tip the scales. I'll hopefully drive a 2024 Ranger that has the exact options I want tonight. Not sure I"ll jump on it because they don't seem to be selling quite as fast as Tacomas so I think I'll be able to find one.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I've decided against the GM twins because I don't trust the reliability as much. Based on what I've read, I have more confidence in the Tacoma and Ranger despite being new designs.

Agree that 7k is enough of a difference to tip the scales. I'll hopefully drive a 2024 Ranger that has the exact options I want tonight. Not sure I"ll jump on it because they don't seem to be selling quite as fast as Tacomas so I think I'll be able to find one.
Unless your in a rush for a truck, take your time.

It's a buyers market right now. Lots of inventory...Ford just shipped 144,000 trucks to dealers. They're finally on their way.... and 2024 is already 4 months in.

Just wait, they'll be deals on these 24's to make room for 25's soon. Between high interest rates and lots of inventory, dealers will be willing to deal to move stuff.

Tons of dealers here of all brands are advertising 'overstocked' deals, lol

Markal

Unless your in a rush for a truck, take your time.

It's a buyers market right now. Lots of inventory...Ford just shipped 144,000 trucks to dealers. They're finally on their way.... and 2024 is already 4 months in.

Just wait, they'll be deals on these 24's to make room for 25's soon. Between high interest rates and lots of inventory, dealers will be willing to deal to move stuff.

Tons of dealers here of all brands are advertising 'overstocked' deals, lol
Oh man, that is tempting, but I've been waiting for almost two years. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Frontier a little over a year ago I think but decided to wait for the new Ranger and Taco. My patience is running thin!

Markal

Pulled the trigger on a 2024 Ranger XLT with FX4. The used 2021 was OK, but we got a pretty good offer on our trade at the Ford dealer, much better than Carmax where the used Ranger was, and that narrowed the price difference by over $3k. Plus the 2021 was going to need tires right away, so there's another $1000 or whatever. The tires passed Carmax's 4/32 standard, but I wouldn't want to take them off road.

Now to decide on the bed - needs a liner and I'll either add a tonneau or a cap.

MisterNoisy

Congratulations on the new truck! I love that basically everything in the segment is pretty much brand new and we're pretty spoiled for choices now. 🙂 Taken any pics yet?

Markal

Congratulations on the new truck! I love that basically everything in the segment is pretty much brand new and we're pretty spoiled for choices now. 🙂 Taken any pics yet?
Agreed! When we bought our Outback in 2021, I thought all the mid sized
trucks (and most 4x4 SUVs) were pretty crappy and had major compromises. Now they are all pretty nice.

No pics yet. We got an insanely good rate through Navy Federal Credit Union but can’t settle up till Monday. If you have Navy FCU and good credit, they have 4.99% right now.

MisterNoisy

Agreed! When we bought our Outback in 2021, I thought all the mid sized
trucks (and most 4x4 SUVs) were pretty crappy and had major compromises. Now they are all pretty nice.

No pics yet. We got an insanely good rate through Navy Federal Credit Union but can’t settle up till Monday. If you have Navy FCU and good credit, they have 4.99% right now.
Ha. I actually work there, so I'm well aware. 😁

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998