Ford Ranger suspension question.

SeanDziedzic

I'm horrible at researching forums but I've been looking for awhile now and can't seem to find very much, if any info on a decent long arm suspension for a 2007 Ranger 4x4 that doesn't cost thousands of dollars. I don't need anything race ready or crazy like that. Just looking for something that will ride a bit better on the trails, give me some good articulation, and allow for 35-37's. Deavers in the rear seems like a good choice just need something up front, preferably in the neighborhood of a grand or less. Any help is much appreciated!

02rangeredge

Adventurer
this is gonna be tuff to pull off, only superlift makes any sort of suspension lift for a ranger anymore, and that's a 4 inch lift kit, other than that you're looking for used stuff

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
What year?

I believe ICON makes a lift for the newer non US ranger. Maybe it could fit? You might have to look at a small long travel kit for anything decent.

Camburg also makes a kit for ranger but I am not sure if they have a 4x4 option.

All are pricey unfortunately. A local fab shop might be able to make something for you also, I'm sure there is something close to you being in Phx.

Good Luck.

DaJudge

Explorer
Those are Torsion bar IFS. There is no long-arm for them. There are lifts and BDS makes a coil over conversion (or the used to) but it is a lot more than $1000.00. The recommendation to go to TRS (the Ranger Station) is a good one. Tons of info and knowledge on all years of Rangers.

I was doing a lot of research into this same thing a little while ago for my 2006 4x4. The only thing I was able to find through my searching on the forums for long arm kits was from Vegas Dezert Fab:

http://www.vegasdezertfab.com/product/ford-ranger-4wd-long-travel-suspension

The kit looks nice but is $$$$$$$$ 4,200 not including shocks.

Unfortunately the 4x4's with torsion bars are pretty limited in choice other than Superlift or cranking the torsion bars (or body lift). I wasn't interested in cranking the t-bars so I just replaced the shocks with Bilstein 4600's and am leaving it stock height for now.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I'm afraid you are probably out of luck unless (as Screwfly mentioned, above) you are mechanically talented and want to do a SAS, which even for parts ain't cheap.
The cheapest lifts, for vehicles with frames (I am assuming, always risky, that the post 2001 Rangers still have frames), have always been body lifts; to give you a possible key word/search criteria.
Ford really lost track (or intentionally decided to eliminate serious off-road usage) when they went to the torsion bar IFS (likely, in part, as a result of the explorer/firestone tire blow out fiasco).

Enjoy!

Last edited:

SeanDziedzic

Really appreciate the help! I've been considering an sas but then I get carried away and wanna slap tons under it. Although I forgot about body lifts, then I could run the tires I want and swap in some good shocks, disconnect the sway bar and actually handle a few decent trails. And yes camburg, Dixon bros, and vegas all make 4x4 kits for a 2007 ranger Joe, but all said you're pushing 6-8 grand before tires and wheels. And I'll do some pokin around on Ranger station as well. Thanks again.

gwittman

Adventurer
Honestly, I have done some pretty serious off-roading with just a 1.5" torsion bar lift and 33" tires. I don't attack obstacles without regard of consequences and watch my lines carefully. You may be surprised where you can go by utilizing some good skillful driving.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Yup! In the Explorer (virtually the same frame, suspension and parts as some Rangers) I elected not to twist the torsion bars (up to 2" max lift is not worth it to me) and installed undersize 32" mud tires, with a limited slip up front and an air locker in back for moderate off road camping use (without significant/serious suspension work (gears and lockers is relatively minor/typical, IMO) I wouldn't rate it for serious off road/difficult trail use)... I used to be a moderate core off roader...
...the harder that a vehicle is pushed off road, due to lack of prep, the more damage is done. They may make it to some serious places; but, how many times?... and will they make it out under their own power?
I would expect the weak IFS (CV joints/shafts), or some of the more anemic steering components, to fail, if the Explorer, or a similar Ranger is pushed too hard.
...That said a vehicle and driver, well matched to the trail difficulty will normally experience little to no damage. Excessive adrenalin and testosterone should be avoided for best results (don't drive like you see in most videos/television)...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

SeanDziedzic

So last year I bought a set of 32x11.50 pro comp mud terrains and loved them! But I'm still left with the articulation problem. I get nervous about rolling far sooner than when my truck will actually tip because out in Moab a month ago a guy I ran a couple trails with told me I was extremely close to rolling off a cliff. Ever since I've been scared to death being that I'm typically alone on trails. And along with that issue I just moved here from the east coast so I have little to no crawling experience. Everything I've done for years has been mud and fitting through tight dirt trails. I know I'll become more comfortable as time goes on but for now I'd really like to eliminate the body roll if I can. And this Ranger will not be my last vehicle. It's just about to turn 160k miles and I'm hoping to get another year and a half to two years out of it before buying a taco which will be getting total chaos long arms without a doubt. Was hoping to have a little fun in the mean time. Im hoping I might find some better shock suggestions so when I disconnect my sway bar i might squeeze 8-10" of wheel travel and get a few more big overland trips out of her. I'll be getting lockers and regearing later this summer for sure but that's about it. Thanks everyone! Giving me some pretty good ideas so far!

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Might be a good idea to research how you're going to turn those 35-37's, the cog will be very high for side hills.
Just a thought.

Mike.rider

Observer
BTF does some nice upper control arms and offers a more reasonable mid travel kit for the 01 and newer us rangers.

That said it's a money pit investment because you always want more.

I picked up a used Dixon bros long travel for a great price, but it lead to a major rear end build with a wider f150 axle to match the suspension and track width.

But it works great on the street and the trail

ba5728f7f1bf9c82e8ef055ca28f531e.jpg

d8f344d2d4c868b8bb4f44ec61c800be.jpg

b87f74d75b461961cf7f6a93d5dc0902.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan