Ford Ranger suspension question.

Mike.rider

Observer
Mike that is one hell of a rig you got there! Thank you for the expensive ideas!í*½í¸…

Thanks! It's been fun to build and explore with, still lots too do.

I'm happy to help other spend money lol, just like to show if your smart and take your time shopping ( and do 95% of the labor yourself) it's very possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTF does some nice upper control arms and offers a more reasonable mid travel kit for the 01 and newer us rangers.

That said it's a money pit investment because you always want more.

I picked up a used Dixon bros long travel for a great price, but it lead to a major rear end build with a wider f150 axle to match the suspension and track width.

But it works great on the street and the trail

ba5728f7f1bf9c82e8ef055ca28f531e.jpg

d8f344d2d4c868b8bb4f44ec61c800be.jpg

b87f74d75b461961cf7f6a93d5dc0902.jpg

Dang that setup is super clean. How'd you mount the basket to the roof?

TBH my stock setup with upgraded shocks has done fine for what I end up using it for which is mainly just back roads to camp spots, but a long travel setup would be sweet if the price was right.

Here's mine currently:

Untitled by jbhbalducci, on Flickr

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
RE; fear of rolling/flopping; happens to everyone don't worry about it just listen to your pucker...and back off/try another line when it gets bad... (Heard that rolls/flops are a matter of when, not if... still keeping my fingers crossed)..
Re excessive body roll; I got the best offroad performance on very difficult trails from highly compliant suspensions that do not limit roll (disconnected antisway bars)...I got nearly as good offroad performance on moderate to difficult trails when using the anti sway bars as long as the axles are locked so when a tire is lifted it does not remove traction form that axle). Saw some videos of some stock Jeep Rubicon models which did not have a lot of wheel travel the drivers just let them lean and did not seem to worry since the locked axles maintained forward progress in spite of the lifted tires..

RE; high COG (center of gravity) & 35inch tires ran a CJ-7, and a CJ-5 before that, with the narrow, 50" - 51.5" axles (and a compliant/leany suspension) for years on 35 inch tires and a 5.5inch lift all over Colorado and Moab, except for the Heldorados... much narrower than your Ranger. Won't claim that there weren't a few white knuckle/puckery moments though...

Enjoy!

Mike.rider

Observer
Dang that setup is super clean. How'd you mount the basket to the roof?

TBH my stock setup with upgraded shocks has done fine for what I end up using it for which is mainly just back roads to camp spots, but a long travel setup would be sweet if the price was right.

Here's mine currently:

Untitled by jbhbalducci, on Flickr

Good looking rig, the basket is mounted to Thule cross bars, with tracks and 460 podium towers. The tracks are nutserted to the roof just like to do to add tracks to a canopy. Was fun drilling those holes lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan