Ford SOHC 4.0 V6 engine RE: Timing Shenanigans

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
For the record, Ive always loved the explorer/ranger platform. My DD is a high mileage 1st Gen Explorer.
But the SOHC 4.0 and its timing setup is beyond silly, and after this Ill never recommend owning one with this engine.
If this was my own vehicle, Id strongly consider a V8 swap. But thats simply not in the cards.

Hopefully this thread will help those that have heard of the problems, but don't fully understand them and what the project entails when they are do.
It really is not for the typical back yard mechanic. This is as involved as it gets for something as silly as timing chains.

This vehicle belongs to my parents, they purchased it new in 2005.
It has 235k on it, but super clean, and as factory original as you will ever find.
It is one of those that really is worth keeping original and on the road.

I'm doing the service on it to help them out.
All in, its about $1500 in parts and some specialty tools.
At my snails pace, and doing it 100% right, I should have 3-4 days into it total.

Ill let the photos do the talking.
If you have questions about this project, please ask.

51623816879_0a9987a56a_b.jpg

51624030725_b6c28e6ae7_b.jpg

51623817374_56234414e5_b.jpg

51623392693_25152ab2be_b.jpg

51623166941_fcb624b3ef_b.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
There are actually FOUR chains on this engine.

One from crank to balance shaft (front of motor)
One from crank to jackshaft (front of motor)
One from jackshaft to drivers head (front of motor)
One from jackshaft to passenger head (REAR of motor)

yeah.... :ROFLMAO:

Grassland

Seems like something ford would engineer.
I don't know the maintenance intervals on that engine despite having owned an 08 Ranger
But I'd imagine even if it said "replace timing chain(s) guide and tensioners at 200k, once people see what's involved it's not going to happen.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yep. The entire car is silly clean.

CA car, maintained by an old guy (my dad) that lives by the 3k mile oil change montra, regardless of MFG recommendations.
Ive never checked, but this motor is likely a 5-7k mile oil change interval, per Ford, based upon driving conditions.

Id say its likely why things lasted as well as they did. But they still failed.

As I alwasy do before a large service like this, I still burned up a gallon of superclean and spent a solid hour pressure washing the snot out of the engine bay, undercarriage, and front end...
But it is very clean. The entire running gear, drivetrain, steering, and suspension.... Factory original.

51623168411_81087b0af9_b.jpg

51623166941_fcb624b3ef_b.jpg

51623167081_ef5e782004_b.jpg

51623390788_4671f0b7fd_b.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

Seems like something ford would engineer.
I don't know the maintenance intervals on that engine despite having owned an 08 Ranger
But I'd imagine even if it said "replace timing chain(s) guide and tensioners at 200k, once people see what's involved it's not going to happen.

On the earlier ones the engine tells you when it is time, not the book.

IMO it was a bandaid that shouldn't have happened to an old engine.

Shoulda just canned the 4.0 OHV for the 3.5 Duratec and moved on.

XJLI

Adventurer
Shoulda just canned the 4.0 OHV for the 3.5 Duratec and moved on.

So... the motor with the timing chain driven water pump that when it leaks mixes oil with coolant? With the 4.0 SOHC most of those trucks out of their useable life when they are ready for chains (as long as they've been maintained). My parents had one with 185K on it and so signs of chain issues, but that truck maybe only had another 40-50k left in it. Everything was pretty tired. OP's truck is a rare case.

mekcanix

Camper
I did this to a buddies ranger. Swore right then and there I would never own a 4.0, nor would any family who's vehicle I have to fix. Nope Nope Nope. I figure the design team must have absolutely despised Mechanics.

85_Ranger4x4

So... the motor with the timing chain driven water pump that when it leaks mixes oil with coolant? With the 4.0 SOHC most of those trucks out of their useable life when they are ready for chains (as long as they've been maintained). My parents had one with 185K on it and so signs of chain issues, but that truck maybe only had another 40-50k left in it. Everything was pretty tired. OP's truck is a rare case.

My parents 02 Explorer needed them at 150k. 3k mile oil changes and the whole bit.

Knocking on wood my wife's 3.5 is running great at 270k.

In a truck stetting changing the water pump every so often wouldn't be a big deal.

Otherwise I would actively avoid a 4.0 sohc.

Grassland

That issue was related to transverse packaging. The "fix" was a weep hole so you maybe noticed before the second seal went, assuming you ever popped the hood.
In longitudinal packaging it's not an issue AFAIK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears