Ford Transit build out

MudderNutter

Adventurer
MN Thanks! I got the standard 3.7 gas v-6 and it's been great! I'm probably right at the 9100LB GVW and it feels like it could easily do more no problem. I rarely give it more than a quarter throttle on starts or hills on the highway and it keeps up with traffic fine. It really handles the load great IMHO much better than my 2003 E-350 that was always loaded. With no insulation the height of the van was fine (I'm 6') Now that I have insulation and a headliner I'm bending my head down all the time, not optimal but much better than my E-350 was. As always with builds like this it seems like there's always a compromise. The van has been great and IMHO a big improvement (handling, braking, turning, acceleration, comfort and usefulness) over my old van.

Thank you for the detailed response! Its great to hear good things about the 3.7. I've been over on the transit forum, and everyone is so focused on the ecoboost that it's hard to get an honest review on the 3.7. You're making me want a transit more, haha. Initially I was set on a sprinter, but the dealer network (and cost) of the transit is really appealing.

Clean1

Observer
For sale

So we've been on the road for about 2 weeks making our way down south loving it. We camped near the beach in southern Ca last weekend and while cleaning up from breakfast a guy comes over and starts asking me about my van. Long story short he ends up wanting to buy it. We meet Monday and he gives me half as a down and will get the rest Wednesday. I start looking for a new vehicle and pull the trigger thinking I'm golden with what I have for a deposit. Guy backs out Wednesday and asks for deposit back. Karma being what it is I give it back and we agree on an amount for wasting my time. So here is where I'm at http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/152177-2015-Ford-Transit-Camper-Van-for-sale

Clean1

Observer
We went with a truck and trailer set up, Dodge Ram 3500 with a gas engine. Our thinking is to be able to park the trailer and take the truck to more remote areas and do some exploring and hit the off the beaten track locations.

Darwin

Explorer
Have you made it to Central America yet? Do you have a blog? I know the Van is for sale and you obviously went a different direction but did you ever have a chance to to try out the Kingtec AC in the heat? how long would it run on your battery bank? Does it have sufficient cooling? I found the heat and humidity in southern mexico last early fall to be brutal.

Thank you

Racingdad

Adventurer
Where is the van located now? I would really like to see it up close to see if I would still be interested. I have read through your build out several times and I am impressed with what you have done. I'll b in SoCal later this month.

Tad

StanH

Hello everyone, this van is up for sale again. Little has changed with it, it has just under 40k miles. Price is $42,500 located in Fresno, CA. Give me a call if you are interested (559) 790-6677 Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger