Ford Transit dominating van sales

haven

Expedition Leader
Ford's Transit van is the clear sales leader in USA. Year to date figures show the Transit has attracted almost 76,000 buyers, compared to 18,000 for Sprinter, 17,000 for Ram Promaster, and 11,000 Nissan NV.

Ford still sells the E-Series vans, in the form of vans on dealer lots and cutaway models for conversion to RVs and work vehicles. The E-Series sales number about 34,000 so far this year.

The Chevrolet Express / GMC Savanna, basically unchanged in many years, still sells in decent numbers. Year to date, about 53,000 GM vans have been purchased. But that is down about 30% from last year. How long before GM decides to redesign their van?

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/09/usa-commercial-van-sales-figures-august-2015-ytd.html

codybutz

Observer
Not to high jack the thread but, what does this mean for Ujoint? Any top secret things in the works? Any kits for the Transit or other vans?

packmule

Observer
Not to high jack the thread but, what does this mean for Ujoint? Any top secret things in the works? Any kits for the Transit or other vans?

Chris mentions in the UJoint build thread the possibility of an NV kit and that he has no plans for the Transit.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
We've never had a huge percentage of sales going to brand new vans so the E series being out of production hasn't affected us. If anything, we've gotten busier as other companies abandon the E series. Still plenty of good vans out there for us to build/provide kits for.

And yes, we'll be playing with the NV next year.

limatangobravo

Observer
I have not looked the Transit that much, is it front wheel drive? I know the Dodge promaster is, not sure how any of these drive.

zelatore

Explorer
No, the Transit is rwd. As a work platform I actually find that a drawback as it means a high lift in height. Of course the needs of an asphalt bound working van and an off road worthy camper are very different. While I like the functionality of the Promaster (Fiat) I cringe every time I come up behind one and see that crazy low cross beam rear axle hanging down.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
That video clip in the article looked pretty good.
Nothing too hard core of course but good enough for a bunch of people to be happy.
Wonder what the out the door price is?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears