Ford Transit Quigley vs Sprinter 4x4?

lightstrum

Any new info from anyone on a Transit 4x4? Love everything about the Sprinter but it is not going to SouthAmerica because of the diesel. I am settling in on the Transit 130WB, Med Roof, Dual slider. It seems the best platform to make a go anywhere van, though it may require major surgery.

hammerhome

Observer
Transit 4x4 can be had from quigley and quadvan. No mention of when/if ford will bring theirs over from across the pond.

In regards to the Sprinter looking good, yes it does. But the referenced photo is from Outside Van. Throw 45K+ at the Transit and it will look good too :)

HH

justimaginejack

Do not buy a Sprinter 4x4 if you value your time, or money, as they are horrible

Dear All,
I was unwilling to wait and for many reasons chose the 2015 Sprinter 4x4 for the tune of about 60K. 3 days in, the roof leaked, the GPS stopped working and the Radio failed. The antenna on the roof was broken. It was replaced a total of 4 times before I got rid of it. The suspension has serious problems and Mercedes just keeps "upgrading" expensive parts that take weeks to arrive from Germany. The power steering hose came off on a mountain Switch back and their response was That doesn't just happen. Weeks later in Colorado, again in the shop for issues with the drive train, the van in service next to mine had the same power steering failure. The mechanic said it happens all the time and no one knows why. They just reattach and refill. That particular unit was out of warranty and got damaged as the guy tried to drive it out of the mountains and caused $1600 in damage and a $500.00 tow bill.
I drove across Illinois and put 5% Biodiesel in the van, Sensors went off and then failed. I called all the dealers in Chicago, Springfield and St.Louis and No one could get me in for weeks. When I explained I was living out of this as a camper van, and needed to get to my Grandmothers 90th birthday party, they said sorry there are too many people ahead of you that also need work done urgently. I was so livid you can't imagine it. All in the van spent more than 60 days of my first 6 months of ownership in some sort of unusable form. Mercedes wanted to avoid a law suit and offered me $4,000.00 as a apology if I signed a waiver saying I would not sue. There are so many issues with the Diesel engine it is not even worth talking about. The Catalytic converter/DEF system failures are widely known. And the 6,000.00 repair is often not under warranty as they feel it is your fault. Disagree, you better lawyer up. I can go on and on about the $10,000 in repairs they made to my brand new van, but I will save you the trouble.

3 things to consider when buying:

1.) Serviceability. How many service stations are their in total across your areas. (ford has more technicians and more dealerships than both Dodge and Mercedes by a long shot.)
How many of those stations have a trained technician on your vehicle and it's major components. In this case, Ford wins hands down with it's gas engines. Ford, Dodge and Sprinter all fail epicly with their european designed diesel engines. On average only one poorly trained factory technician for these diesel engines per location and many locations have none.
Ford Gas engines that are stuck under the hood of many vehicles and most technicians can service them.

2.) Parts: Are the parts made in the Country and/or readily available? The Ford is assembled in Kansas City. It has a warehouse of parts there. The Dodge Promaster is made in Mexico and has no major US hub for parts as they don't know what to stock and are ramping up, many components are still made in europe, as this is a Fiat Ducato re-badged. the Sprinter has a few hubs for parts, and they are back ordered for most by weeks and months. They can't keep up with all the problems that are on the vans, most especially the 4x4, not to mention, mercedes is constantly upgrading their defective parts. Just in the 40,000 miles I did in 8 months, I had 3 different oil filter part numbers. While I am glad they were upgrading to manage issues, shouldn't most of that be done before it hits the production run? Also, the Sprinter is Made in Germany, a factory will be up in Running in South Carolina for the 2018 model year, which is a new engine and a new build. This means most of the engineering chops is being put on making the new design better for 2018, and less on getting this unit right. with the 150.00/hour service cost and parts being obsoleted by a new engine, and complete new model, don't think they are going to keep upgrading beyond the legal requirements.
The Ford Gas Engines are going in everything from mustangs to F-150's and are easy to work on. By the time you add up the maintenance costs/downtime, for the diesel, you will never beat the gas in total ownership cost, even if it was at 5mpg.

3.) Cost and Re-sale
My Sprinter was Legally a Lemon, and with a 56K sticker, Tax, Title and License put is just under 60K, add in the flight in to buy it and we are over 60K. 3 months in, and after more than $8,000 in warranty work for repairs, more than 60 days in the shop, and I was offered a Value of 40K, Mercedes wanted me to take a $20,000.00 hit on a Lemon. The Lemon Law is not your friend. You have to sue them in court and win. No lawyer wanted to sue MB USA as they have a team of staff lawyers who drag out cases for years hoping to run up mileage, get the vehicle out of warranty force you to pay for repairs and keep you making payments. MBUSA has the largest settlements ever awarded in History for these Tactics. They drug out a case for 6 years and are appealing the 3rd verdict. Can you Afford to own a lemon for 6 years while they litigate you out of business? Do you really want to buy from a company whose own opinion of its resale value is so low? This is their own Van, and they offered me 20K less for it. I know some transit owners are experiencing issues, and ford complies with the State Level BBB mediation rules. You have a far better shot of getting out of a lemon with some skin with Ford. Suing MB USA takes years, all while you are making payments and dealing with issues. It sickens me to think they can offer me 4K for the issues and say sorry, only to say we will buy back our brand new defective van at a 20K loss to you, in addition to all your losses as you were not able to use the van for work...

The Sprinter Vans that are getting resold on craigslist, as almost new, are defective, and people buying are seeing why. Dealers are crushing their very own Customers on this. I know a guy who bought brand new, had it in the shop enough to be a lemon, he took the 20K hit, sold it back to the same dealer, who then turned around and resold the defective and still broken van for above retail. He is now Suing the Dealer for Fraud. MB USA is not acting ethically. Before you buy any Van, stop and see what the resale values are, see what the major issues are and can that be hidden or tested for, as this will play a large role in the cost/value. The fact that MB USA fights it own customers for years as opposed to take a loss on a bad product is beyond frustrating.

After Getting Rid of the Sprinter 4x4 (should be $X$) I got a rental High top extended Ecoboost Transit as a rental to test it. 4,000 miles later and not one issue. It badly needs some sort of 4x4 features for off roading, even gravel roads, but mechanically and electrically I have found it to be sound and far more reliable. It does not have the many features that the Sprinter has, but it works, and it runs. Something I can't say for Sprinter. Mercedes Vans #borntorun-intotheshop

I hope this helps. Sorry if this comes off as all rant. I just want others to avoid the nightmare I got into the Daimler Vans and MB USA. Do not buy a Sprinter, most especially the 4x4

18seeds

Explorer
Mercedes is really going downhill. It really is sad.

Honda has a major airbag recall. They are offering out loner cars
Mercedes has the same airbag. They are not offering out loners

trailsurfer

Explorer
4x4 Sprinter

I have a 2015 SMB 4x4 Sprinter. I picked it up December, 2015. I have 7500 miles so far and it has been flawless. About 1000 miles of pretty significant off road use. And a couple thousand miles of snow packed roads.

I own many 4x4 overland vehicles, Brute, 200 series Landcruiser, etc... This is the best snow vehicle I own, and it is much more capable than I imagined it would be. Great mileage, and the best part, it drives like a Mercedes..

lbarcher

Adventurer
I find it remarkable that there seem to be horror stories about most vehicles.
I had my own with a 2009 Jeep when others were loving theirs and now I have a
flawless 2012 F150 eco boost that many will say is about to fail.
My point is that I'm sure for every horror story there are more that are positive.

Having said that, I'd take a factory built 4x4 Transit with the eco boost.

86scotty

Cynic
Very interesting thread, somehow I just now stumbled upon it. A little backstory on me is that I've logged hundreds of thousands of miles in Ford Econolines and Sprinters for FedUP (what's the difference?) over the past 20 something years. I've driven them all day, every day, all year, every condition and weather, in the Eastern mountains and I've got to contribute a little here. What it is very important to remember is that you're choosing a brand new vehicle (either Ford OR MB) as an overlanding platform. It's not that either are good or bad, it's that when they're good they're really good and when things go bad they go really bad. What do we choose an offroad vehicle for? Quite simply, it's to go where others can't or won't. Consider that with the well known facts that technology moves fast and the average Joe or mechanic is at a loss to keep up AND that dealers and manufacturers really don't want you to work on your own. If you don't believe that you will, and at the most inopportune time. Modern vehicles are so computer controlled and so advanced that it is a huge challenge for any consumer to keep up. Then, we expect them to just be reliable like they are supposed to, just because we paid a lot. We also expect the cheap disposable crap we buy at retail stores to be high quality and reliable. It just isn't so.
The short answer is that I loved driving a Sprinter when I got one back in 06. It replaced my boring, reliable Econoline with a much more comfortable, better driving and much better engineered vehicle. It was great until it wasn't. The Econoline never breaks. It just doesn't. Sure that's a relative statement but it's pretty much fact. It was improved and improved over it's 30 or so year life cycle to a near bulletproof vehicle, so with modern mods (4x4, RV conversion, etc.) it makes an unbeatable, though outdated and boring adventure vehicle. Will the Sprinter, or Transit or Promaster even, ever beat it? I doubt it but that's my opinion. The sad fact is that the world doesn't really want to build vehicles that just RUN anymore. They want to add bells and whistles enough to keep us trendy westerners appeased and only 2% of the population is ever going to take them very far from a dealer, so what do they care? We're that 2% and there's no way I'd take a Sprinter far offroad. The mechanics at work absolutely hate them. Why do they hate them? Not because they're unreliable. They are as a fleet vehicle totally unreliable but that's not the point. They hate them because they aren't Sprinter mechanics but try to keep Sprinters running 24/7. Read this: They are well trained mechanics with lots of info, funds and backing at their disposal and they hate them because they, as well trained and armed fleet mechanics, still can't figure them out! Constant check engine lights (mostly due to DEF and computer sensor problems), and systems so advanced it takes a NASA engineer, or an MB dealer computer, to diagnose them. Is this what you want on the White Rim Road, or in Baja, or in South America somewhere? It is probably important to add here that they feel the exact same about the new Freightliner tractors that have replaced the old simple, bulletproof ones. They are reduced to tire changers who have to send almost everything off to the dealer.
Let me repeat, I love Sprinters and would really like to convert one (an early one) to an adventure vehicle one day, but I'm not in a hurry because they can't easily be converted to 4x4. Sorry Mike (Hiscox) and others. I know there are some serious Sprinter fans here and I'm with you in spirit but not in practice. Keep in mind what Justimaginejack said above, and how many dollars and heartbeats he has lost because of it. You're toying around with an uber advanced vehicle made by a manufacturer (or manufacturers, this rant isn't just about Sprinters but also Transits or Promasters or anything brand new) that are honestly conspiring against you.
I guess I'll conclude this by saying how I've noticed that my company isn't buying any 4x4 Sprinters, but they ARE buying F250 4x4 trucks and putting cargo boxes on the back of them.

:)

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I'm in a little doubt here, first time poster and an elaborate story with a lot of horrible experience if true.
But said w/o evidence and stuff.
If true, my hats off to you to brave through that.

sgable

Justimaginejack has been all over the sprinter forums too with that story. Not saying it isn't true. Lemon law is a thing for a reason.
But Im thinking there are a lot of happy sprinter owners out there.

Like me. 14,000 miles so far on my 2016 4x4 with no issues.
img_6914.jpg

Desert Dan

Explorer
At least the Quigley has a manual transfer-case (50/50 split front rear) which simplifies the drive train a bit. The low range is also lower as well.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I'm in the same boat. Currently have a E350 7.3L diesel with a UJOR suspension on i, which I LOVE! Trying to decide if a new transit with the ecoboost and quadvan lift would suit my needs better (LOTS of mountain biking, and loading the bikes in a tall van is a lot easier). I'm off to the dealership to test drive a few and see if I can live with the huge size and low ground clearance. My UJOR 4x4 van has never let me down, and it's gone everywhere I've wanted to. Not to mention it tows great.

A budddy has a 2016 4x4 sprinter. I love the room inside, and it's beautiful, but I've heard too many maintenance horror stories. Plus I need to be able to tow 6500+lbs, and the only way to do that in a mercedes is with a dually. Thanks for the great thread, this has me thinking...

Jsweezy

Explorer
Sixstringsteve - I think your gonna have a hard time letting go of your E350 when you realize how much it can tow compared to newer vans, at 6500lbs your choices become very limited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998