Fording a river or Africa is not for sissies

luangwablondes

Adventurer
I am not going to mention the lion, puff adders, or other wildlife I had encounters with. This was just another trip to ‘the office’.

In 2001, I managed a remote photographic safari bush camp in North Luangwa Nat’l Park, Zambia. A park renown for bush walking among its huge herds of Cape Buffalo and many prides of lions.

To get there was a bit of a challenge. 10 days for something that normally took one very long, long day of remote difficult unmarked, unrecorded tracks from South Luangwa NP.

Attachments

• lion & buf.jpg
    lion & buf.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:

luangwablondes

Adventurer
First day out, I broke the rear short half shaft. Not a good sign. Being a little hard headed, stubborn is probably a better word, I decided to carry on.

Attachments

• Track0008.jpg
    Track0008.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:

luangwablondes

Adventurer
Some 180 kms and eight days later after several delays (getting stuck was a recurring theme), found me on the banks of the Luangwa River across from this remote park. The coffee colored, croc infested, couple hundred metre wide Luangwa River. The river that John Coppinger, a well-known Zambian guide and safari operator, had pioneered canoeing on the Luangwa. He had written about his experiences a few years earlier, of his encounters with some very large aggressive crocs while canoeing this same remote section. This is where I decided to camp, on a sand bar with an Nsenga fish poacher that latched on to me when I arrived for the evening, to share a fire and dinner. He spoke not a word of English, but we got along well. He shared his nshima and dried fish, and I threw in a steak from my Minus 40 fridge/freezer for him. Not that he appreciated the choice cut. He burnt that sucker to a crisp, as most Africans do. However, I could tell by his smile and enthusiasm that he appreciated that chunk of beef. Protein is not something normally found in the diets of remote villagers.

The next morning, the poacher and I walked the river to find the shallowest and least sandy track, marking with reeds as we went (This was obviously a time before a pontoon was brought in a few years later). I then tried to ford the river, but promptly got stuck. I should say at this point, the crocs were mostly sunning themselves, because it was quite cool in the early morning hours. At least that was my presumption, because they did not seem in a hurry to join us in the river. With the landy firmly stuck, I asked the fisherman to get me 12 Nsengas to push me across in an ‘on the fly’ sign language. He came back with seven, who immediately declared one younger Nsenga to be the leader and engaged me in negotiations for payment. Where in the hell they came from, I haven’t a clue. They pushed me back to the sand bar, where we unloaded the landy and carried all the gear and supplies across. I tried two more times with only front wheel drive engaged, and still got extremely stuck. The final time, crotch deep in the middle of the river. There was no pushing me forward or back. Now the poacher understood my request for more help and off he went. The rest of the Nsengas and me hanging around the land rover, while I pondered on the question of the day, ‘do crocs prefer white meat or dark meat?’

A few hours pass, the crocs are no longer sunning themselves on the banks, and more recruits arrive. With that, the fresh meat entered the river and we started negotiations again… in the middle of the river. You don’t think they’d risk life and limb with little reward.

Attachments

• hand.jpg
    hand.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 423

luangwablondes

Adventurer
Having agreed to a reasonable fee- what’s reasonable when they have you over a barrel, they quickly pushed the landy across and up the steep, sandy bank in less then 20 minutes. Yeah baby. That last attempt took only 4 hours including the time parked in the river. I immediately handed out $1 USD each to the Nsengas, as agreed. Amazingly enough, the landy started up on cue and off I went to into North Luangwa National Park. Only one more night of bush camping and one more river to ford.

About a week later in the safari camp, I woke up from a deep slumber with a startling revelation. I had a short half shaft hidden in the shorty from preparations for my previous safaris/overland trips (expeditions to others) that would rectify my situation.

Attachments

• Track0013.jpg
    Track0013.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 409

luangwablondes

Adventurer
In the coming months, I forded the Luangwa and Mwaleshi Rivers many times on my own and in 4 wheel drive. Life can be such a pleasure deep in the bush.

In a lodge at South Luangwa National Park, hangs a photo, among many other photos, taken from a plane with several tourists, flying low over the Luangwa River. In this photo are 12 Nsengas and 1 mzungu pushing this white short wheel base land rover in the middle of the river. The one thing that makes this photo interesting is a few hippos and several crocs (a couple quite close and submerged) without a doubt intent on the happenings in the middle of their territory.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
"First day out, I broke the rear short half shaft. Not a good sign. " No, but typical of Land Rovers. ;-) Now you know why some of us won't touch 'em!

Great pictures!

luangwablondes

Adventurer
DiploStrat

I always expected the landy to have missteps. It is part of traveling in Africa. Part of my philosophy. Most travelers are just that- travelers. However, when a landy breaks down, you are forced to get out of it and deal with the problem at hand. This often requires interaction with the locals, may it be in the bush or in a small burg with a mechanic. And these people love seeing old landies on the road being used as they were meant to be. I often end up staying with the mechanics family or friends. Bounce around some very interesting villages or towns that normally I would never consider. I have a whole library of these experiences.

The last landy, the one in the picture, is the result of all the hard earned experiences. The half shaft turned out to be the only that year, regardless of the 10s of thousands of kms I drove it. Seems my relentless preventative maintainance and improvements had done their magic.

The half shaft saga was caused by a large branch that was ill placed in a low spot and I hit it just right to have it hammer the drive line when driving across it. A one in a thousand chance.

viter

I would like to get a hold of that picture too. I was promised a copy, but have yet to see it.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I have no problem dealing with folks; just don't need a half shaft to persuade me! My justification is usually a flat tire. ;-)

But I have hated, loathed, and despised Land Rovers for well over 30 years and blown half shafts are only one of many reasons! (I'm not fond of broken springs or kidneys either.)

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
great photo's- I hope the one with the hand in the croc was photo shopped !

I agree- breaking down takes you from flying past - to interaction at a low level

Dodgy places you'd never think about stopping at-

become a welcome refuge when they have the only working welder for 50K

Even in venezuela finding a mechanic you trusted meant many a night was spent drinking Polar with them, cultivating the relationship,

wether you liked the state of the outhouse or not

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Rhetoric Question:

If one is "flying" then why is one making the trip? If the only reason to make the trip is to fly by, then get an airplane. But if the whole purpose is to get to know people and places, then you don't need a breakdown.

And besides, I find conversation better when I am not covered with grease and dirt. ;-)

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"If one is "flying" then why is one making the trip? If the only reason to make the trip is to fly by, then get an airplane"

I agree, but when you read of a lot "expedition" posts most people seem highly set on the destination rather than the voyage its self.

I think we've all read the blogs..."this week we passed through three countries"

Not exactly exploring when they only stopped for gas and sleep

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Bingo!

..."this week we passed through three countries"

Exactly the point of my rants. I am fortunate to usually do one country in two or three years, but even if most folks can't take that much time, I still find it sad that many people cross an entire continent in a month meeting only:

-- Border guards/police/thieves, and
-- Other overlanders.

I love overland vehicle technology (hence my loathing of Land Rovers - not for nothing that one was dubbed "The Antichrist" in one film), but it breaks my heart when people zoom through a country I know and don't even see the scenery.

And, as my avatar should show, I know what it is to get out and dig; done it for thirty+ years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998