Forest Service Road Adventure Mobile

Runt

Adventurer
Hi Jefe,

No tail gate on the Tundra.....your mistaken there. I also carry another 35" in the traditional spare location under the box. The swing out was built by CBI Off Road.....great people. Highly recommend you give them a call: http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/ ....I believe they make a class V receiver tire carrier. Phoenix Pop Up Campers out fitted the camper for winter. This included extra insulation every where as well as winter type insulated drapes insulated lines and low wattage heat tape on the pump & lines. The Tundra camper was built more with my girls in mind then work......Its great for work but the Tacoma Camper was PERFECT!.....Tacoma itself not so much due to towing snowmobiles etc. the camper rear of the truck got pushed around way to easy on icy roads. Just to much weight in my opinion.

daveyboy

Adventurer
Nice Tundra! I really like those bumpers. I went to CBI's website and noticed that they don't list any bumpers for Tundras. Bummer. I go to Idaho almost every year, but I assume yours were a custom order. I wonder if they keep dimensions/plans from custom orders and would replicate... .

Runt

Adventurer
Hi Davey,

My bumpers are the prototype models that CBI built for my application. However they have several designs. The front bumper was "Sam's Bumper" design, The rear was "Steve's Rear Bumper Design # 1". They can make you a set....give them a call. Awesome people to work with! The front bumper ties into the factory tow hook mounts so it eliminates the week frame horn issues. It is compatible with a 16,000 lb winch. Only tundra bumper that has that ability. Very well thought out....flat surface to step on, protects rad and will have an integrated skid plate that that covers down to tranny making for a smooth surface to slide over obstacles. The rear bumper is a single swing out that carries axe, shovel, high lift jack four 20 L fuel cans or 2 cans and a chainsaw.....my preferred set up. Also has pockets for the high lift jack in the corners and shackle mounts. Even allows the rear back up sensors. CBI stuff is so well made.....Nathan is the man to talk to over there.....excellent customer service thus far.

Last edited:

Runt

Adventurer
Some slight modifications to the FSR Adventure Mobile were required over the winter. Mostly the suspension and a new CBI Rear bumper :) ....because CBI Off Road is freaking awesome!

Here is a pic of the old one:

Reason it was changed out was there was a slight wiggle if even that (harmonic vibration I believe its called). Was noticed by a co-worker when I drove by slowly. CBI offered to build another based off of what we learned and wanted me to try out there dual swing out design. Both are fantastic and the full length swing out retrofitted with the new internal design I'm quite sure would eliminate any of that vibration. Think I like the dual swing out better though due to ease of getting back into camper with a trailer on, back up lights are farther out board and really notice a difference, will accommodate up to a 38" spare now and the rear step is much more functional getting in & out of camper. Some of the trailers interfere with the full width swing out but not the dual....big bonus! CBI Off Road is amazing to work with. Truly the best fab,. shop I have ever had the privilege to work with.

Added Radflo Coil Overs with remote reservoirs with 700 lb spring and the day star modification to the airbags after ripping them apart flexing the rear. Also played with the rear spring pack adding a leaf to the factory springs and new custom skid plates from the front to fuel tank :)

Far as camper goes every thing is great! Really love the ability to turn the bottom area into a complete bed and the truck bed spray in liner makes clean up a breeze. Probably the features I enjoy the most over the last camper. Oh....and the top escape hatch is really fun for target shooting out of. Sadly I'm not a fan of the bathroom due to the lose of usable space but the girlies love it so guess its worth it. Might add a door to it and use it for storage. So far only issue was the camper jack on one side getting ripped out. So that was repaired and reinforced with aluminum.

Last edited:

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Bumper looks really good! Can people see your stop lights/indicators with it fitted and tires/jerry cans mounted?

dirtcrazy

Observer
Cabelas

Nice rig, parked next to you at cabelas. Been following your different builds, I am also going the same direction from a Tacoma with a ATC bobcat to a tundra

Runt

Adventurer
Thanks man....that was on my way back from picking up our Turtleback Trailer :) So glad I went with a full size this time.

Last edited:

riccasey

Runt: Nice, well thought out equipment. Being new around here, I've been reading a lot and learning. I will be undertaking a new build in 2016 and am in the process of establishing requirements and researching building techniques and materials.
One of the first things that I'm trying to establish is storage requirements for propane and gas.
Would you please comment on your propane usage for heating and under what type of conditions. (take note of where I am located - we travel the same Crown Land in the same 'off seasons' with a sat phone and snowshoes as part of the kit - just at different ends of the country) Does your new camper have a 20000btu furnace as well.
Also, if you had unlimited storage space how much gas would you carry. I find the distance and time I can spend in the backcountry is limited to a large extent by how much fuel I have. I notice you had doubled your fuel storage on your new camper with the old bumper and gone back to 40l with the new bumper - any regrets so far with the reduced fuel storage with the new bumper. Do you suffer the same as I have experienced - time to turn around and head back to the gas station, which is probably ~400km or more down the road.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Last edited:

Runt

Adventurer
Hi Riccasey,

With this Camper I decided to go with a 30 lb propane tank which lasts a full 10 days with temperatures below - 30 C and it feeds my 20,000 btu furnace, BBQ, stove etc. as well. Keep in mind I'm out of the camper for generally in the field for 12 hrs per day. I simply just turn the heat down to 15 C when I leave. I only use the stove or BBQ for dinner as well so not a lot of propane use there. My old Tacoma camper I ran out of propane a couple times with the 20lb. I think due to the tank being under filled but now I have no worries and the 30 lb tank & has a gauge which is nice. Down side is they are hard to find and expensive. However Phoenix Campers took care of that so no big deal on my end. Actually they took care of every thing! Awesome job helping me sort out what I needed. The main issue is power to run the furnace. I have a 40 W solar film panel and two 6 V batteries but they can't keep up in the winter. I knew this from the Tacoma Camper and I increased the size of the solar panel but its not quite enough when it gets super cold and low hours of day light in winter. I have to use the generator after about 5 days depending on weather. I'm thinking I might add a second solar film panel on the roof as Rob at Phoenix Campers had recommended. Far as fuel goes I actually still have 80 L of fuel I can carry on the swing out and generally do. This gives me a 1000 km range with a full tank. I have thought about adding a "Transfer Flow 47 gallon" larger fuel tank but so far I have not really needed more fuel as I tend to camp right where I'm working at the end of the road so to speak. Back to the fuel carrier...the basket does not have the locking mechanism on one side, just an open basket with slots in the bottom so a chainsaw bar can slide through. I will some times carry a saw or fuel in the open basket and run a short cable lock to the fuel can side that locks up. My gas can still be siphoned out but tanks are a bit harder to remove. Really any thing can be stolen if they are so inclined. Depends on where your travelling....I usually don't see any one where I go except co-workers. Up here we have a lot of dead Pine so roads have a ton of blow down. Saw on the basket in the back is nice and easy to access. This dual carrier set up with one open basket is the way to go. CBI Off Road makes amazing bumpers and they are really good to work with. I honestly could not imagine how CBI Off Road could be any better as product and service is impeccable. Oh and on a side note I highly recommend the Scepter Military fuel cans....they are awesome due to they do not allow fumes to escape when empty so you can put them in your camper and they dump fuel fast! Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

riccasey

Thx Runt, that's very useful information. I knew I would need at least two 20lb tanks but based on your experience I'll need three to extend my stay to 30 days of winter travel.

Its the gas that I see as the limiting factor.

There are ~3500kms of ice roads in Northern Ontario that are beckoning me to explore. Round trip from Sioux Lookout to Windigo Lake is 1000kms and that doesn't get me off on any ice roads. Much more planning is needed.

There are many more questions I have. What I want to get set up to do, 'off season travel', you have already done. Later.

I looked at the CBI website last night but did not see any bumpers for Fords. :)

If you search the couple of posts I have made here, you will see some pics of my pop up rig.

Thx again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78