Forest Service Road Adventure Mobile

docb14

Kelly tsr's

Glad to hear some one else using the Kelly tsr! Got a set on my half ton silverado. Run 35's on a 17 inch rim all year. (Unfortunately more pavement than dirt) These are great. I do have a ?. Do the bfg's not do well in the winter? Or is the all terrain tread with studs on the tsr's a better set up for winter driving ? Just curious about your experience/reasoning. Btw, love the set up. I too am thinking of going from my current truck to a crew cab long box Tacoma next. Thanks

Runt

Adventurer
Hi docb14
The Kelly TSR's are just a better all around tire when not in mud then the BFG M/T KM2 in my opinion. The BFG M/T KM2 is a poor winter tire compared to the Kelly TSR studded tire.

Runt

Adventurer
Hi every one

Been a while since I have posted something so here goes:

Questions have landed via my private message in box about the generator:
It’s a Champion 2000 W and I love it! Quiet as a Honda and ¼ the cost with Costco Warranty.....hard to beat! Yes I have owned Honda generators and yes they are better but the cost coupled with Costco Warranty makes these even in my opinion....really time will tell:

IMAG0125.jpg

Yes I do get my family of four out in such a small camper and yes it is tight but not cramped. Biggest issue is moving in & out of the camper. Most of the time we spend outdoors in the winter as well doing things like snow shoeing/hiking, sking, sightseeing, hanging out around a camp fire etc. So to give an idea here is a picture (really just to brag my girls humor me and follow me around in the forest looking at the beauty mother nature bestows on us):

IMAG0111.jpg

Generaly one kid sleeps up top with us and one in the bed/dinette below. All four of us have enough room to sleep up top. We usually take turns keeping the girls occupied up top in the big bed reading books, playing or chatting about our adventures while the other cooks the meal:

IMAG0104.jpg

Not much room for more than one to move around while cooking but we have done it with three at the table and one cooking quite easily. Long as there is only one up & about it works good. I do not see us getting rid of the off road trailer and the cruiser just basically because my concern for every ones personal space. The wife would like to see the Cruiser gone....she never really liked it (rear sight lines & suicide doors). This Truck & camper is for work only and in my opinion is best suited for two adults but works for a family with two small kids for weekend outings. Max so far with the girls was four days and everyone loved it. There were no complaints about the tight quarters....and I asked...a lot. Really it comes down to it is what you make of it I suppose.
Far as off road ability and durability the camper has met and exceeded all expectations! This thing is tough! I kick the crap out of it on logging roads and the areas I go into. For example below are pictures of a typical area:

DSC00522.jpg

Those are snowmobile tracks.....there is roughly three feet of snow here. It’s amazing how frozen in tracks will support a truck of this size & weight. But I break through....and with chains chewing it’s a rough ride. Camper is holding up perfectly! I have no complaints about any aspect of how it was built. I would do things much different on the next camper. Lay out, features etc. I might tweak. This is just a result of learning. Rob can modifythe camper and perfect it any way over what I originally asked for but the changes I would do are so easy to do I can do it my self....but that is another post:).

untitled.png

The truck itself has been very good. No issues what so ever. I’m really loving the CBI rear bumper and front receiver for the winch.....the fold down table is awesome for a BBQ so I can quickly retreat into the warmth of the camper at -20 degrees Celsius and fuel can carriers increase the range just enough were a auxiliary tank may not be needed. Not convinced on this yet but still have not found a decent auxilliary tank that fits in the spare location. Only thing I'm going to add is a chainsaw carrier.

Receiver and bumper works great for towing all though most trailers require a 6” drop other than the one in the picture:

IMAG0129.jpg

Only issues I have had are with Globalstar Satellite phones.....damn things are so hit & miss with coverage.....the Iridium satellite phones seem to be much better but I only have a hand held and the Globalstar is a truck kit.

Last edited:

specjoe

The ARB Fridge Freezer works fantastic! ........ the solar panel easily keeps it charged. The sat. phone is a Global Star.

Looking to go with one of these thin-film solar panels on the top of my FWC Finch to keep up my ARB 50L fridge (attached as the "load" on the charge controller?) and recharge my 70AH AGM house battery during winter use of my forced-air furnace. What kind of charge controller do you have setup? MPPT or PWM?

Thanks,
-joe D.

pods8

Explorer
Looking to go with one of these thin-film solar panels on the top of my FWC Finch to keep up my ARB 50L fridge (attached as the "load" on the charge controller?) and recharge my 70AH AGM house battery during winter use of my forced-air furnace. What kind of charge controller do you have setup? MPPT or PWM?

Thanks,
-joe D.

Sub 200watts it really doesn't really justify MPPT over PWM. The gains are at times negligible with small panels and even when working well the actually amps gained are still small and the money at that point would be better spent on more panel ($230 for a morningstar MPPT verse $45 for a 10amp morningstar PWM).

Kya

Adventurer
...The truck itself has been very good. No issues what so ever....

How does truck do with camper? How about with camper and towing the sleds? Do you ever wish for more truck? More engine? My daughter is too big for the Dodge Dakota extra cab, and with our Eagle camper the 4 door Tacoma is an obvious next choice for us.

coulter6

Observer
Awesome setup.

Could you post some pics of the battery compartment and setup? Are the 6v batteries standard golf cart deep cycle type?

Lingenstein

ARB Fridge

Oh ya, meant to ask you why you chose the ARB fridge over a standard fridge? I would like to get a simular pop up (except maybe a three season version) and I'm trying to go over some of the planning while I save some money up. Thanks

Runt

Adventurer
Dusty roads are a enemy to the propane (standard) fridge. ARB fridges are highly efficient and do not have to be vented to the out side like the propane units. Also the ARB's removal top is a nice feature for accessing the contents of the fridge with the top down. Coyote RV also sells them with there units at a fantastic price so it was a no brainer.

mudmony

Observer
jealous

nice truck, nice job, nice family, your pic of the wife and kids brings me back, and creates an instant smile..enjoy, there is not any better times

Lingenstein

That makes perfect sense. Thanks. I live up in GP, and work in between home and Ft Nelson all the time, maybe I'll run into you sometime.

str8t six

i know this is old but this is a awesome setup!!

anymore updates to this?

have you made the changes you were talking about earlier?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998