Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

heavyfoot

Can't wait to see what you come up with for bumpers!! I'm running an 04 forester xt 5spd. My king springs/struts and primitive armor goodies arrive this Friday! Like yours its my DD overland rig. You're part 1/2/3 of the budget overlander was priceless!

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Here's a few photos from a quick scouting trip to find some new locations, both for camping and for photography. The Forester is perfect for these duties, it just gobbles up the softroad miles and remains drama free after being pushed a little too far when we do hit rocks.

Bridge Out
The remains of a destroyed dam/bridge, a variety of obstacles all across the difficulty range, and only an hour out of town—a perfect spot to grab vehicle feature photos. Well, in the winter... from the tracks on the ground I have a feeling this place is packed with ATV traffic in the summer.

IMG_0372-1280x854.jpg

Nothing
There's nothing in the maze of canyons and mountains behind Nothing, AZ. Nope, nothing at all... just the way I like it.

IMG_0387.jpg IMG_0380.jpg
IMG_0391-1280x854.jpg

Something
Drive long enough through nothing and you'll inevitably stumble upon something...ruins of what was once a sizable ranch at the mouth of Cornwall Canyon, and a few excellently secluded campsites.

IMG_0394.jpg IMG_0393.jpg
IMG_0403-1280x854.jpg

Drive On
Unfortunately, not an option...at least not headed north. The towering mass of Bagdad's tailings pond rises up over the valley, and a locked gate sits less than a quarter mile up the road. At least they were courteous enough to put the gate down at the bottom and save you a wasted trip to the top. :)

IMG_0405.jpg

Clay Hills
Dusk overtook us quickly and we headed for home, climbing fast into the mountains surrounding Burro Creek. It was too dark to make out much, but from the steep ups-and-downs, tight twisties, and pitch black canyons I'm sure this area warrants further exploration. Though the connection can't be made through Bagdad, the main road does make a nice loop through to Highway 93.

IMG_8333.jpg IMG_8344.jpg
IMG_8342a-1280x853.jpg

The Foz did finally have it's first stuck this time out. It handles sand beautifully as long as it's at speed. Unfortunatlely, I had to slow down for some unexpected crawling in one of the washes and cross-axle hole-digging ensued. In seconds the Foz was high-centered on the rocks and floating over the sand. The available rocks were too slick to help, but Maxtrax made quick work of the extraction...glad I brought them. This was also the first time I've ever had to use the Maxtrax and they'll be living in the Foz instead of the Discovery from now on.

silkroad

Suspension Upgrades—Ironman +35mm and KYB GR-2

> The strut in that same front corner was also blown. With just over 100,000 miles on the chassis we opted to simply replace all of them. KYB’s slightly stiffer and better handling GR-> 2 series struts were selected, and they do not disappoint.

> The star of the suspension, however, is the +35mm Ironman spring lift now fitted at all four corners. In spite of the lift, the vehicle has less body roll than it did originally, and
> handles with impressive competency on the street. It also still rides nice and smooth, making it a pleasure to drive. Bonus: it appears to be impossible to bottom the new
> suspension out, the Schooby is now cleared for take-off. :D

The thread has been very helpful; so much thanks. Now that you've driven the car some; any thoughts on body roll with the higher struts/springs? You mentioned that the car handles better but i'm thinking its probably due to the bad struts before the exchange? Wanted to get new suspension and thought to do a lift for a bit more clearance; but didn't want to sacrifice handing too much.

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
Hope Scott doesn't mind me chiming in, but I do have a few (hundred) thousand more miles on the Ironmans than he does ;)

The springs are a bit higher rate than the factory springs. Handling over the factory springs was much improved going to the Ironman springs. It's not a Miata by any measure, but that's more to do with the car sitting high with big tires :) The car is very predictable on corner entry / exit. I can confidently push the car without worry of rollover etc... It just works.

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
remains drama free after being pushed a little too far when we do hit rocks.

I would like to chime in and also vouch for this sentiment. Even without any skid plates I hit rocks, big rocks, on a fairly regular basis and yt haven't damaged anything besides a heat shield. As long as you make sure you don't punch the oil pan (which, should be noted, takes a lot) you're not really going to break anything.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I got the go ahead from my wife to start tooling on the family car which is an '05 Forester. So far I've replaced the tired stock wheels with plain black steel wheels, and the highway Michelins with some Geolandar ATS's in stock size.

Hodaka

Adventurer
Hope Scott doesn't mind me chiming in, but I do have a few (hundred) thousand more miles on the Ironmans than he does ;)

Do you find the struts top out a lot? I read another thread saying that droop ends up too little after installing lift springs.

Hodaka

Adventurer
Kind of what I thought, thanks. IIRC, they also have internal springs to give a soft droop limit, too.

silkroad

Do you find the struts top out a lot? I read another thread saying that droop ends up too little after installing lift springs.

I just read something similar but it was with King springs.
where did you read that? Was it the combo of kyb excel/g2 & ironman lifted springs for SF?

Have an order in for kyb excels and about to pull the trigger on the ironman springs..

Last edited:

Hodaka

Adventurer
I just read something similar but it was with King springs.
where did you read that? Was it the combo of kyb excel/g2 & ironman lifted springs for SF?

Have an order in for kyb excels and about to pull the trigger on the ironman springs..

Yah, it was on subaruforester, and it was Kings. Pretty sure he used SF KYBS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman