Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

JacksonRally

Adventurer
Subscribed!

Keep pushing forward, once you fix what someone else tried to work on you will be very very pleased with the capability of the Forester.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
The 2010 on Outback would make a fine overlanding rig. Huge storage particularly if you are traveling as a couple and decent ground clearance, 8.5" stock. I'd stay with a manual trans, not sure how durable the VCT would be in extended low traction driving.

Jim

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
My revisions to this. If you have a Fozzy then maybe it's the right vehicle so long as we accept the limitations, and I'm thinking that the limitations are limited for real world travels. Not my choice for rock climbing, but I'm not interested in extreme stuff anyway.

Mine is appearing to be limited as to storage capacity and towing is sufficient for a vehicle of its size but still limited, it will certainly take a tent trailer or teardrop.

I will always be using highways getting anywhere, there will be more miles on road than off on the total adventure outing, so the highway will be a pleasure, restful and efficient. I could go with a duce and a half, been there done that and I like A/C and a quiet, smooth ride.

Overlanding is alot like sailing or cruising by boat, everything is a compromise, more power, less on the mpg, bigger and wider, can't get through a narrow pass, being out longer requires a bigger payload that brings me back to a bigger vehicle in many ways if you are to be self sufficient without restocking.

Not rambling so much as pointing out that the fozzy can be a great platform to build from, but with the limitations. Now, instead of me saying I want to go to XYZ, I may have to say where can my Fozzy go and go there. Looks to me that this whole sport and recreational activity is full of limitations for everyone as well as possibilities.

I'd like to build mine up more than stock, but not sure my real demands in travel require an expensive build and it may be better to look at options. I may step on macho toes, but I don't think there is such a thing as a go anywhere vehicle......I think some hickers and mountain bikers have an edge on those of us stuck in vehicles. LOL

I'm partial to the fozzy over the Outback but you do have more room and greater towing capacity with the fozzy. If you need a hotrod outback vehicle the Outback might be better. :)

Chazz Layne

Administrator
UPDATE: The rebuilt (again) motor fired right up yesterday morning after tracking down the correct crank sprocket from the local U-Pick-It (my 7th visit to the scrap yard this month). The parts manager at the local dealership (who's help has been invaluable this past week) says it sounds "perfect". Here's a shot of the new motor with correct crank sprocket shortly before installation:

19394gerbil_wheellg.jpg

:jump:

The motor is now at 100 miles and running problem-free, save the dead knock sensor also acquired from the scrap yard. Fortunately, it's an easy 1-bolt replacement. We also got the lift springs installed while it was in the shop awaiting the replacement motor (details coming soon). The first "official" outing is to the Anza-Borrego desert this Thursday for OAUSA BorregoFest 2012.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Chazz, would a cheese ball provide the boost of the turbo?

BTW, I've decided my primary vehicle needs to be bigger. Not because the Fozzy can't go where I'd like but being on the road for an extended period just requires more stuff, I have a GF who can fill up the car quickly. :)

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Ironman 35mm springs will not bottom out. :jump:

Slow progress, but with 3,000 miles on the rebuild it continues to run smoothly. I'll post an update later this week with suspension details.

JacksonRally

Adventurer
Glad to hear motor is finally working for you! Just pulled the motor out of my brothers Forester yesterday morning. There were quite a few issues with the work the previous owner did to the motor. All will be well now, it is in good hands.

scoobyclimbs

The problem with this entire equation is that it is a Subaru and will grenade anything you toss into this vehicle.

It's been fact a few times on this build.

Save your time, money and efforts and move onto something else.

Total BS...!

I have had an '84 ea81 hatch 185k, 90 EJ22 legacy 190k, 98 forester ej25dohc 195k, 03 outback sohc 2.5l 140k
My parents even had a 97 outback.. up graded to 2010 foz..
I have flogged all of them relentlessly off road , rallying..et c. 6000-7000rpms stock and modified. all are daily drivers too!
All were bomb proof..!
I understand when you get a lemon...just hope for wednesday car....
The ej25 is a great engine..After the HG are up graded its a done deal...most of them have already been done..97-99 are the ones with the problem when new...or under 100k.

IF these engines were so bad why do I see thousands of them in the Pacific northwest....still on the road...!

The ej22 is my personal fav..simple , non interference belt engine...

As far as EZ30 that would be the ultimate..And my plans for my build..lots of torque...for low speed crawling up the steeps with no low range...!

my fleet...

forestermods021.jpg

foz after lift/tires
FOZMTs002.jpg

Go for it...!

Last edited:

Imprezive

It's coming along. I'm thinking of picking up an Outback but I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys do with the Forester.

Last edited:

JacksonRally

Adventurer
Total BS...!

I have had an '84 ea81 hatch 185k, 90 EJ22 legacy 190k, 98 forester ej25dohc 195k, 03 outback sohc 2.5l 140k
My parents even had a 97 outback.. up graded to 2010 foz..
I have flogged all of them relentlessly off road , rallying..et c. 6000-7000rpms stock and modified. all are daily drivers too!
All were bomb proof..!
I understand when you get a lemon...just hope for wednesday car....
The ej25 is a great engine..After the HG are up graded its a done deal...most of them have already been done..97-99 are the ones with the problem when new...or under 100k.

IF these engines were so bad why do I see thousands of them in the Pacific northwest....still on the road...!

The ej22 is my personal fav..simple , non interference belt engine...

As far as EZ30 that would be the ultimate..And my plans for my build..lots of torque...for low speed crawling up the steeps with no low range...!

my fleet...

forestermods021.jpg

foz after lift/tires
FOZMTs002.jpg

Go for it...!

I agree 100%.
If I were to do it over again I would end up in a Forester. I am building my GL with Forester/Impreza technology and may as well have just started with a Forester. But the GL is what I have. Future plans would be to swap in a 4eat (yeah I just said that!) and if that is not enough I would go with a H6. THere is a Forester running around down under with a 6cyl swap and seems to be the end all solution to any power issues. Or just keep it light :)

p nut

butter
scoobyclimbs - That white Forester looks awesome. What kind of MPG do you get with the bigger tires?

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
about 16-20mpg...but that's the cost you pay for traction...! A/T's just don't cut it when ya need it..
Very true. I haven't tried my general grabbers in any mud yet but my geolanders were great off-road until you hit any sort of mud, then they became slicks very quickly.

But for someone who runs their A/T's all year round and needs snow traction, I would never switch to a M/T. But there are sure times out on the trail where I wished I splurged and bought another set of dedicated trail tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998