Formal Training Question.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
How many photographers here have formal training? I was thinking about doing a few workshops through The Luminous Landscape, and wonder if workshops are a worthy investment. Subjective, yes I know, but I would still like to hear comment. I have several texts on photography, and they have been very helpful, but I know there most certainly could be a lot more to be gained from actually working with real pros. I've also thought about taking a full photography course, but that may require a bigger commitment then I can handle at the moment, working and paying bills is the priority.

I have no pipe dreams of becoming a professional photographer, there is simply way too much competition, but a good amature with perhaps a few pieces of published work is something I would like achieve,in this life of course LOL.

Thoughts? Don't waste your money, practice is the only way to get good, or knowledge is power learn as much as you can?

OFRD_GRL

Adventurer
I have formal training. I worked as a professional photographer for a company for 1.5 years. I work for myself for photography now, and will be doing some for my new job as well.

Seminars - not worth it to me.

Find a photographer that is willing to worth with you as an intern or what have you. Or even a backup photographer. A good way to learn alot of info, and practically. I can't learn in a classroom environment though...

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Sorry I'm a little confused by what you said above, did you receive professional accreditation? As far as the formal training I was refering to with The Luminous Landscape, most are field workshops Michael Reichmann offers, either with himself or through his gallery with other renowned pros.

Cheers

Overdrive

Adventurer
I've looked at your linked photo albums....excellent!!! Did you mean you would attend as an instructor? :)

Unless money and time are not an issue (meaning you want to attend for the heck of it), I'd say it would be a waste of your time and money. You are way beyond the point of needing any workshops! Perhaps a fine art or photography degree from an accredited university would be a nice feather in your cap...but that's not what workshops offer.

As it stands now, your next step should be finding your way into art galleries.

Scott

Last edited:

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Trevor - I am far from anything but a point n shoot guy when it comes to photography, but generally speaking, I am a strong believer in spending time and/or money to get some professional training. For me, it could come in one of two ways: a friend/colleague that has the skills and would be willing to mentor someone like you, or if no such person exists in your life, then paying for that type of training and knowledge from a service-oriented business. Either way, you take your "raw" skills, and hope to get them refined with some theory and fact from a professional.

And it seems like you've got some good working knowledge, plus some pretty good skills already, so if you want to take that to another level and learn some new tips and tricks I think its a great idea.

The only catch is that photography (unlike cars for example) is an art as much as anything else, so you would be paying for one person's take on a particular medium. So make sure you respect and agree with the general philosophy of the outfit you choose.

I went to college as a Photography Major plus my old high school had an excellent photography program so luckily I was taught by several professional photographers. By the time I was in college I was actually functioning as a teaching assistant in the entry level photography class I had to take for the degree. I was years ahead of the people in the class.

I also interned a little bit at a studio, but that was not much help. Finding the right program was what helped me. As said before getting training from just one person is not the best way to go about it. Diversity is your training is the best way IMO.

If there is a college program that offers photography in your area you should check that out. Just taking a one semester class could really get things working for you. Remember most Photography professors are only professors on the side and Pro-Photographers on the outside.

Last edited:

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Scott I'm flattered. Thank you. To be fair however, let me just say that there is a world of difference between what I've done and what the likes of pro's like John Sexton, Pete Turner, Joe McNally and so many others have achieved with a lens. To refect on their work in comparison is a humbling experience.

Matt, I kinda feel the same way as you which is why I brought up the question, to see if perhaps some people here have tutored under a pro, and to find out how beneficial to their learning it was. Unfortunately for me there are not too many pro's in my area. There are tons of amateur wedding and portrait photographers with small studios but not too much in the way of teachers so to speak.

Phil, thanks for replying. So you feel as though a workshop or perhaps a number of workshops with different pro's would be beneficial. Unfortunatly I do not have the time to dedicate myself to full time studies, not that it would matter even if I could, our community college offers no photography course. They do offer hairstyle apprenticeship though, both basic and advanced. LOL

Lost Canadian said:
Phil, thanks for replying. So you feel as though a workshop or perhaps a number of workshops with different pro's would be beneficial. Unfortunatly I do not have the time to dedicate myself to full time studies, not that it would matter even if I could, our community college offers no photography course. They do offer hairstyle apprenticeship though, both basic and advanced. LOL

Working with several different people is a great way, it prevents you from being too one sided. There would not be any conformity to just one person's style. That's too bad there are no programs around your area. Taking one class a semester is not too hard. It just takes a few hours a weeks. But there is nothing you can do if there is nothing in your area.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Lost Canadian said:
How many photographers here have formal training?

I took the curriculum at a JC near my work in the evenings after work.

- 4 semesters of lecture & B&W darkroom lab
- 1 semester large format
- 2 semesters of colour printing lab
- 1 semester studio lighting

To which I added a couple visual arts classes in design (use of colour, shape, balance & texture kinds of things).

I found my formal training to be very valuable. It provided a solid grounding in the craft of transferring an image in my mind to a sheet of paper or light reflected off a screen. I'm a strong believer in the concept of knowing your craft sets you free to explore your art. I've seen too many people with holes in their craft knowledge trying to pass off errors in craft as being their unique style of art.

I've also taken a number of workshops. I've found that my basic grounding in the craft has helped me get more out of each workshop because I can see how each new technique fits into the craft, allowing new areas in which to explore art. I've found workshops in general to be opportunities to gain specialized knowledge of different specialties. Little specialized nuggets of knowledge that I can add to my understanding of the craft that will help me in certain situations. I seldom take a lot away from a one day workshop and I personally am able to make better use of what I am taught during a several day workshop.

There are basically two different types of workshop. One is pure how-to technique (like a Palladium printing workshop I attended once) and the other is pure location shooting where the primary purpose is to get guided to locations you might never find on your own and to be there at just the right light. Most workshops are a blend of the two.

3 workshops stand out in my mind as really helping me. One was a 4 night workshop learning night photography and making exposures primarily by moonlight. I learned a great deal about low light photography there.

Another was a winter in Yosemite valley week long workshop. There I learned about working in cold weather, about protecting gear while making exposures under a number of adverse situations and even more about the limitations of light meters.

These kinds of workshops can be very valuable for teaching specialized techniques that are not part of a general photo craft education. But if you rely solely on specialized workshops you will find large holes in the knowledge of your craft. Those holes can limit what you can do.

The third workshop that stands out was a week long photo tour in the four corners area. I had never been there before. The primary purpose was to bus us around to the photographer's favorite shooting locations and lets us shoot film at the best light. 90% of the workshop was to burn film & get great photos. It was an unforgettable experience that gave me an in-depth introduction to a new location.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
TeriAnn, thank you for your comments. I really respect your input. Your cross ties with visual arts classes is something I can connect with and understand. I have small art background, I actually just finished a study of Gustav Klimt's work. A good study by the way for those interested in portrait work.

Anyway, what I would hope to gain from a work shop is a better understanding of the technical aspects of photography, like working with provided light to get a desired effect and such. One thing I'm learning quickly is that luck, or should I say timing plays a big role in getting a good photo. Timing the light, anticipating a moment etc.

I think I have gained a better understanding of what I should look for now in a work shop. This site really is great that way. Anyone else?

sinuhexavier

Explorer
I have a BFA in visual communications.

Workshops are like anything else in life, you get out of it what you put into it. Portfolio reviews are great to have at the workshop because they can give you direction with constructive critiques.

You also need to ask yourself, what is your target market if you indeed want to make a living from your images. Your visual language needs to speak to your prospective clients from a clear and concise viewpoint. Workshops can help you build a image vocabulary that is consistent with your photographic vision.

Photog

Explorer
There are not many "Photography" degrees available. Those that are available, teach you all about photography, and nothing about how to run your photography business.

If you have no goals of making a living with your photography, then you don't need to worry about the business side.

Spend your time & money on the classes or workshops that will fill in the gaps for you.

Since photography is the creation of images (like painting), understanding graphic and classic arts, would help with the composition of the images.

The "craft" that TerriAnn speaks of, has to do with an intimate understanding of how to use your equipment, its limitations, etc. Then there is the art, that the craft supports. The two go together.

If you don't understand what your lightmeter is telling you, or the effect of aperture on the image, etc., the graphic arts training won't be of much help.

Think of it like artistic wooden furniture. It would be very difficult to make beautiful, artistic, strong, functional furniture, if you were not also a master woodworker (craft).
http://www.anthonybuzak.com/other/shaftel_desk.shtm

You did state, that you would like to have something published. That is probably easier than you think. Find a group of magazines that print photographs and articles you enjoy. The inside cover has their contact info. Contact them, and find out what their needs are during the next 12 months. Meet their needs with images and text. You will get published and paid for your efforts. Suggestions - Ranger Rick, Country Living, specialty magazines in your field, etc.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Photog said:
Find a group of magazines that print photographs and articles you enjoy.

Suggestions - Ranger Rick, Country Living, specialty magazines in your field, etc.

What are you suggesting, that I'm a child and I like arts and crafts?

Just kidding, I thought that was funny though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears