Fossil Creek (AZ) bill introduced

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
:victory: Great news. I'm glad this place will get some protection. It's definitely one of Arizonas treasures.

From the Prescott Daily Courier:

7/31/2006 4:00:00 AM
McCain, Renzi introduce Fossil Creek bill

By JOANNA DODDER

[FONT=ARIAL, SANS SERIF]The Daily Courier[/FONT]

U.S. Sen. John McCain and U.S. Rep. Rick Renzi introduced the "Fossil Creek Wild and Scenic River Act of 2006" on Friday.

The bill seeks to protect the creek with a Wild and Scenic designation that would forever prohibit dams on the creek.

The perennial creek starts on the edge of the Mogollon Rim and flows 14 miles through two national forests and wilderness areas to the Verde River, which is Arizona's only existing Wild and Scenic River segment.

"Having seen Fossil Creek firsthand, I am amazed by its spectacular pools and cascades, its unique plant life, and its deep history, making it a vital treasure not only for Arizonans, but for all Americans," Renzi said. "Today's action will ensure that one of Arizona's most precious natural jewels is enjoyed and preserved for generations to come."

For nearly 100 years, the vast majority of the water on Fossil Creek has been diverted to supply area residents with electricity, but last year Arizona Public Service decommissioned the dam facilities and restored downstream flow of water to Fossil Creek.

Since then, Fossil Creek has experienced a rebirth.

"Fossil Creek is a thing of beauty, with its picturesque scenery, lush riparian ecosystem, unique geological features, and deep iridescent blue pools and waterfalls," McCain said. "Fossil Creek is a unique Arizona treasure, and would benefit greatly from the protection and recognition offered through Wild and Scenic designation."

The U.S. Forest Service has determined that Fossil Creek meets the eligibility criteria for the Wild and Scenic Rivers System.

"Even among all the natural wonders of Arizona, Fossil Creek stands out. It's right up there with some of the best desert rivers in the country," said Quinn McKew, Associate Director for Wild Rivers programs at American Rivers.

The Congressional bill states that the creek's "travertine geological formations are rarely found anywhere in the United States."

It notes that the Yavapai-Apache Nation considers the creek to be a sacred place.

Northern Arizona University is studying the creek's restoration and its unique geological, hydrological and biological characteristics, the bill adds.

And federal and state agencies already are working to restore the native fish populations in the creek.

The bill would make the upper and lower parts of the creek "wild," while the middle segment would be "scenic" since a road runs near the creek.

The bill calls for a river management plan within two years, and authorizes potential future appropriations for the plan as well as a river ranger.

Contact the reporter at jdodder@prescottaz.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

L_mogollon02.jpg

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
SWEET!

Wonder if the old flume road will ever be open to mountain bikes again? That was the only way I got to see the springs. I could still bike a few years ago, and we had a great day trip starting on the rim and riding out via the flume road. It could be interesting crossing the creek at full flow rates!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Excellent News................!!!:victory:

I just love that area!

I hope it's OK to share our Fossil Creek pics!

http://www.amwest-travel.com/awt_fossilcreek.html

So here goes............

Upper Fossil Creek

FossilCreekWildernessLookingEasterl.jpg

Lower Fossil Creek......looking west

FossilCreekWildernessLookingWesterl.jpg

My friend standing by the swimming hole near the bridge.

FossilCreekSwimmingHoleDangThatsCle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Mark, good pics!

My favorite part:

"The bill calls for a river management plan within two years, and authorizes potential future appropriations for the plan as well as a river ranger."

:clapsmile

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
thanks for posting Chris - the Copperstate Cruisers of AZ have completed a trail clean up there last year and decided right then it would be an annual event - we are in the planning process of this years clean up camp out end of Sept - here

Really like this area and the water... heaven to swim in :friday:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online