Found a Used FJ 80 HELP!!!

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Hi all,

First post here but long time Lurker.
I found a used 1991 FJ 80 with 160,000 on her
dude wants 4500.00 for it. Thing is bone stock
It almost seems like to good of a deal. I am looking for a simple, bullet proof rig for snow and mountains I live in way north Idaho
Took it for a drive last night. But I just dont know enoigh about these rigs to know what to do next.
My DD is a 2012 Tacoma RC 4 cyl five speed, nice and simple....
This cruiser would be to replace the lady's combo of POS blazer and Honda civic... the MPG is scares us a bit but I am tires of crap used cars and we can not afford another payment at the moment... should I pull the trigger ? I want to take it to a shop what should I be looking for?

I am in over my head and need help making the choice....

thanks in advance
TD

Danimal

Adventurer
Look for leaking front or rear axle seals, which would require an axle service. Now sure how handy you are, but that can be expensive.

Also look for signs of water leaks inside from windshield, rear sliding windows and especially sunroof.

Check for wobbles, shimmies, etc on the highway and when braking, though I've found that a little bit of wandering is normal for these rigs as compared to something like your new Tacoma.

Aside from that, check the usual stuff that you'd check on a high mileage truck. Can you take it to a good dealer or Cruiser shop for an inspection?

Dan

Expedition Leader
My '91 FJ80 was one of my favorite trucks ever; it is still in the family at around 300,000 miles. It has needed one alternator and one radiator in all that time. I would drive that truck across the country tomorrow without a second thought; it's among the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned, and I've been driving a long time.

If it has been taken care of, there's few problems with these trucks. The oil pan and the pushrod gallery side cover gaskets tend to leak. Some of the smog stuff tends to get brittle and break. Sometimes the splines on the transmission tail shaft get worn and will make a clunk when you shift into reverse. The radiator is plastic and will eventually wear out; they are expensive to replace when they do. If it has a sun roof, the linkage in the roof tends to get loose and rattly.

But the main issue for you might be the lack of power in the mountains. The '91-'92 80's are powered by the venerable 3FE, which is a great wheeling motor (lots of torque at low revs) but not very powerful going up a steep hill on a highway, never mind a mountain pass. They get hideously bad gas mileage too; worse pulling up the mountains. Drive it up in the mountains for more than 30 minutes before you buy it, and consider buying a '93 or later which came with the more powerful 1FZ engine.

Good luck with your purchase decision.

Airmonger

Adventurer
Welcome to Expo. I'm just down the road in Lewiston. Other things to look for are head gasket failures which tend to occur around 150,000 miles so you might see if you can spot anything around the head and the block. Also the heater hose is prone to fail. Search "PHH" (pesky heater hose) on ih8mud.com to get more info. I love my 80 series and havn't had any problems with it other than a pulley bearing that seized on me when I was driving it home from Portland after I bought it. She still got me home and has been good ever sense.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Sounds a bit high on the price for an FJ80 although given the age, the miles are pretty low. If everything checks out and your in love with it, what's money? :D

Welcome to Expo. I'm just down the road in Lewiston. Other things to look for are head gasket failures which tend to occur around 150,000 miles so you might see if you can spot anything around the head and the block. Also the heater hose is prone to fail. Search "PHH" (pesky heater hose) on ih8mud.com to get more info. I love my 80 series and havn't had any problems with it other than a pulley bearing that seized on me when I was driving it home from Portland after I bought it. She still got me home and has been good ever sense.

Fwiw, the 3FE in the FJ80 doesn't have the 1FZFE head gasket issues (which are rare even at 150k) nor a PHH. Well it has pesky hoses, just not one so pesky that it requires a kit and 3.7k internet threads. :D

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I need to drive one of these "slow" FJ80s...everyone talks about how much better the 1fzfe is...mine isn't...can barely hold 60mph on the long grades...
They are all slow pigs...

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I need to drive one of these "slow" FJ80s...everyone talks about how much better the 1fzfe is...mine isn't...can barely hold 60mph on the long grades...
They are all slow pigs...

It's noticeable but not impressive per say :D

In my opinion while the 1FZFE is a superior motor (powerwise), the 3FE is easier to work on and I think on average may see higher miles? It would be need to survey the average owner. However more impressive than either motor is the drive train upgrades offered with the FZJ package, particularly the full-float/disc rear axle and the optional e-locking differentials in the axles. Be careful there are 93/94 FZJ's with the semi-float drum brake rear out there, two in our local Cruiser club alone. Not that it is a huge deal breaker but if all options are on the table, you may as well find the one you want.

Sorta off topic but for years you could be picky buying a used 80 Series to build, color and trim options were all available with enough time and search. Now, I offer the same advice I offer 60 and 40 Series buyers... find the cleanest frame/body/interior you can, the mechanical components are relatively easy and inexpensive to fix versus rust, paint, frame issues, etc. The newest 80 is 25 years old, they are due for restorations :D

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
. find the cleanest frame/body/interior you can, the mechanical components are relatively easy and inexpensive to fix versus rust, paint, frame issues, etc. The newest 80 is 25 years old, they are do for restorations :D

x2

I love my 80, I have to talk myself into driving the Taco ; )

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Thanks for all of the Help!
Websites like this have proven their weight in gold time and time again for me.
I have not made up my mind but Now i know what to be looking for. There is also a decent toyota shop in the area that i can fall back on for the inspection.
What it will come down to for me is the MPG. the taco gets a rock solid 20 basicaly no matter what I do to it. This rig would be for the lady, and she is coming from a civic... so far its been a hard sell since she is used to 35 MPG. With that being said, in this part of the world a good 4x4 is a life saver. ( SandPoint Idaho) between snow season, mud season and what ever is left inbetween.... well you get the idea.
so who knows.... there is a 85 FJ at a used dealership down the road for eight k that has 194 on the body, but some one dropped a V8 into it not too long ago, and its " built" sort of ..... Eye ballin that to. that v8 is going to get better then the old inline six that came out of it... choices choices..... hope i cant keep her away from a " cross over"
thanks again for the help,
Cheers
td

Expedition Leader
What it will come down to for me is the MPG. the taco gets a rock solid 20 basicaly no matter what I do to it. This rig would be for the lady, and she is coming from a civic... so far its been a hard sell since she is used to 35 MPG.

My '91 FJ80 got 10-12 mpg no matter where I drove it, until I put headers and a K&N air filter on and bumped it to 13-14 mpg. Don't remember ever getting more than 14; maybe I got 15 one time on the highway with a tail wind, coming down from the mountains. The headers rusted out twice so I finally ditched them and put the stock cast iron manifold back on. Don't know what mileage it's getting now since one of my sons drives it now not me.

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
I would not pay $4500 for a 1991 or 1992 80 series. For some odd reason their owners always ask good money for them, and they are normally in pretty good shape for the age. I guess the reason is that they were soooo sloooooow that they could not go very far!

Also, you are dealing with a decent motor that was hampered with US emission retrofits that is evident with the 10 miles of vacuum lines under the hood. For $4500 you can get into a 1993/1994 easily and they bet they are going to need the same amount of work. As Kurt stated, these trucks are old now and all in need for some serious overhauling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears