Found some good prices on Scepter gear

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
The gas can here: http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/5...n-p/579513.htm appears to be the civilian, more cheaply made version. The price and the picture do not reflect their MFC. One of the easiest ways to tell is the fact that it only has a single handle. These are available at our local Pep Boys auto parts store. I promise you, these are not the same quality as the MFC.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
how do you buy from LCI? It doesn't let me order

I ordered from LCI before. You just need to find the guest link. Which I located for you...

www.buylci.com (their main site)
that redcheetah link must be their e-commerce link

Use this link
http://lci.redcheetah.com/?username=guest&password=buylci

Their FAQ says:
Can anyone set up an account and order from this site?

YES! Although many of our clients are government and military customers, anyone is welcome to place orders with us. However, our Base Supply Stores are only accessible to the military customers. You can also shop as a guest without setting up a formal account by clicking on the guest link to the left.

[Back to top]

How do I set up an account?

Guest shopping is allowed by clicking on the Shop As Guest link at the top right corner. If you'd like to set up an account with us or are tax-exempt, please fill out our Customer Sign Up form from our Sign Up section. If you have any question please email us at Here or call us toll free at 1-877-524-4722.

shake'n'bake

The gas can here: http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/5...n-p/579513.htm appears to be the civilian, more cheaply made version. The price and the picture do not reflect their MFC. One of the easiest ways to tell is the fact that it only has a single handle. These are available at our local Pep Boys auto parts store. I promise you, these are not the same quality as the MFC.

True not nearly the quality as the Military spec cans, but I have had one of these CARB legal scepter cans for almost 2 years now and have had no problems with it, although I have only stored it vertically, for $18 its hard to beat.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
True not nearly the quality as the Military spec cans, but I have had one of these CARB legal scepter cans for almost 2 years now and have had no problems with it, although I have only stored it vertically, for $18 its hard to beat.

If you only plan to store it vertically, then I'd probably agree with you. But many, like myself, like to store them horizontally. The MFCs or Wedco and similar surplus cans with good seals are worth it. You can still get the Wedco CARB cans for only $50.

It's too bad you can't get the Scepter MFCs easily anymore. A couple years ago you could get them for $45 each. Compared to that, the $18 cans were not a good value.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I picked up a bunch from BuyLCI, they are definitely different than Scepter MWC's but close. For example the Scepter MWC's have an o-ring on the vent cap... an easy fix but odd these ones did not. Other differences are noted in the molding.

I have a Scepter and LCI water cans.. I agree with Kurt the only real difference (Other than they say Property of US Government on them) is the O ring or lack there of on the vent. I have stored them in every imaginable way and had no leaks at all even when ratchet strapped to my rack on their sides.. The LCI water tanks are the exact same that the Government uses now (somehow I ended up with some government issue water tanks).. and if you buy more than $50 worth of tanks the shipping is free.. I just got some friends to buy some tanks with me as everyone needs water tanks :)

yooper

Observer
I bought four of the LCI MWC's this spring and carried them back and forth all over the country and they took a lot of abuse and didn't leak a drop in any position.

TNxterra

Observer
I can't get parts as of yet, but I know that as of right now I can get the cans, both new and used. I can get new for about $70 and used for around 45-50, depending on how the guy that has them feels that day... I'll post a photo when I get a chance...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger