FOUND Vans For Sale!

eporter

Adventurer
Quiet 2018 so far...

How 'bout this behemoth? Not sure if it's actually 4wd or just has a 4wd transmission?

1984 Ford e350 centurion - $2800 Battle Ground, WA

"E350 centurion 5th wheel hauler. 6.9 diesel, with aftermarket turbo. Cool rare rig. Email is best way to get a hold of me. Needs trans swaped out or cross memeber tightened up n drive shafted balanced with the 4wd tranny that's in now. "

exp1.jpg

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/d/1984-ford-e350-centurion/6434494292.html

86scotty

Cynic
Quiet 2018 so far...

How 'bout this behemoth? Not sure if it's actually 4wd or just has a 4wd transmission?

1984 Ford e350 centurion - $2800 Battle Ground, WA

"E350 centurion 5th wheel hauler. 6.9 diesel, with aftermarket turbo. Cool rare rig. Email is best way to get a hold of me. Needs trans swaped out or cross memeber tightened up n drive shafted balanced with the 4wd tranny that's in now. "

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/d/1984-ford-e350-centurion/6434494292.html

What does '4wd transmission' mean? Makes no sense. Also, a lein on a 2800 truck that looks like it's been sitting there for years? Obviously the typical clueless CL seller here.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
What does '4wd transmission' mean? Makes no sense. Also, a lein on a 2800 truck that looks like it's been sitting there for years? Obviously the typical clueless CL seller here.

I think it's pretty clear. This Centurion has the wrong transmission currently installed in the truck.

Here is a picture of mine

Attachments

• 20161004_130441_resized_1.jpg
    20161004_130441_resized_1.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 35

86scotty

Cynic
Yes, I realize that. But what exactly is a 4wd transmission? I've never heard of one. A 4wd is a regular tranny with a transfer case behind it. And if it has the wrong tranny in the truck, how exactly does that happen? Sure, mistakes happen, but that seems a little out of the ordinary, don't you think?

Nice truck btw.

Andywear

No, just someone who wants to sell something he does not want to put time into, to fix.
In that case, yes, a typical CL seller.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Yes, I realize that. But what exactly is a 4wd transmission? I've never heard of one. A 4wd is a regular tranny with a transfer case behind it. And if it has the wrong tranny in the truck, how exactly does that happen? Sure, mistakes happen, but that seems a little out of the ordinary, don't you think?

Nice truck btw.

As you noted typically a modern (1980's up) domestic 4WD automatic transmission will be a standard 2WD automatic transmission for that specific vehicle with a different rear output shaft installed in the transmission and 4WD rear tail shaft housing installed that allows for the transfer case to bolt up directly to the rear of the transmission. This also can also sometimes require a different rear transmission cross member and mounting location for the rear transmission cross member due to the different 4WD rear transmission tail shaft housing installed on the now 4WD automatic transmission combination that may be longer in length.

With this conversion you now have a "4WD Automatic Transmission".

You will find similar conversions on Manual Transmission conversion from 2WD to 4WD configurations.

In each "case" the addition of the transfer case to the transmission will also require a different driveshaft for the 4WD application versus the 2WD application.

In the ad the seller comments about both the "4WD transmission and the rear crossmember/driveshaft. One can only surmise that they have a installed a trasmission set up for 4WD with a transfer case attached OR a transmission for a 4WD and have not converted back to 2WD configuration. Another thought is that they were trying to update the transmission with an overdrive transmission as these Centurion vans of this era all had a 3 speed C6 automatic transmission. I am sure a call to the seller will "Tell The Tale"!

Either way it sounds like a MESS and this van is vastly overpriced with this transmission issue whatever it is as there are not a lot of folks beating down the door to buy and old "Centurion" Van!

Now with a COMPLETE 4WD conversion a Centurion Van would certainly be neat and a conversation piece HOWEVER not something "I" would want to use "Off Road"!

Last edited:

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
^ I've always dreamed of a lifted 4X4 Centurion and a nice 'bagged one for a toy hauler.
Get their Bronco as well as their Lightning Crew Cab. Maybe when I win the lottery...

Jsweezy

Explorer
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/d/handicap-van/6445914645.html
00a0a_h5RcJ1TkJVF_600x450.jpg

86scotty

Cynic
As you noted typically a modern (1980's up) domestic 4WD automatic transmission will be a standard 2WD automatic transmission.......

Now with a COMPLETE 4WD conversion a Centurion Van would certainly be neat and a conversation piece HOWEVER not something "I" would want to use "Off Road"!

You are correct on all accounts.

I agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12