Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
_DSC2968.jpg

_DSC2980.jpg

I see the light
_DSC2984.jpg

_DSC2987.jpg

_DSC3004.jpg

Father and son riding two up on a dual sport, KLR650.
_DSC3006.jpg

I guess they didn't make it out of Death Valley. On another note, I hope the couple that I helped made it out safely after I helped jump start their car.
_DSC3013.jpg

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
_DSC3053.jpg

Cool looking expo rig. I ended up meeting the three folks: Brit, Aussie, and South African.
_DSC3054.jpg

_DSC3060.jpg

International Scout
_DSC3056.jpg

Ooops, I'm still trying to climb up the rock before my camera's self timer went off.
_DSC3081.jpg

Three of them I just met (Brit, Aussie, South African). I invited them and they joined in my Land Cruiser since their vehicle was 2WD and had low clearance.
_DSC3082.jpg

A mountain sheep spotted me.
_DSC3130.jpg

_DSC3135.jpg

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Yummmmmm, pancakes for breakfast.
_DSC3162.jpg

I ran into a fellow Land Cruiser and Nikon owner. We ended up crossing paths over five times.
_DSC3163.jpg

_DSC3164.jpg

Looking for the elusive mysterious moving rocks.
_DSC3168.jpg

_DSC3207.jpg

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
_DSC3221.jpg

_DSC3229.jpg

The Argentinian couple has been on the road for over 820 days in their humble Citroen C2V (602 cc air cooled engine). Ushuaia, Argentina to Alaska
_DSC3253.jpg

_DSC3254.jpg

_DSC3259.jpg

Another Argentinian couple who crossed paths with the couple in the Citroen C2V. They ended up caravanning for their epic trip.
_DSC3255.jpg

_DSC3256.jpg

_DSC3258.jpg

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Thank you for those! I can't wait to see the "moving rocks" on my own!

Word of advice, if you drive to The Racetrack from the Ubehebe side (from the east) stop at the second parking area (southern parking area). It's worth the 1/2 mile hike to get toward the back (southeast end of the playa) where the mountain side and dry lake bed meets. That's where you will find many mysterious rocks. The north end of the playa is almost devoid of the moving rocks.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Great pics, what route did you take through DV? Was there an event? Or just a lot of travelers?

I originally wanted to go: Big Pine -> Eureka Dunes -> Steele Pass -> Saline Valley -> Lippencott -> The Racetrack then out the southern end at Badwater.

But the timing didn't work out so I ended up setting up my first night at Stovepipe Wells. Then meeting the Brit, Aussie, South African, and the two Argentinian couples, I decided to make Stovepipe Wells my base camp and branching out from there. Then exiting the southern end at Badwater. Having international folks to chat around the fire was so worthwhile as we exchanged travel ideas, tips, and adventure stories.

As for all the international travelers in Death Valley the days I was there, I think it was just a coincidence.

I know there was an ExPo group there on the weekend, but unfortunately I didn't run into them.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Oh, my trip was more of a spontaneous thing. I had worked 11 days straight on top of 10-14 hour days. So when I got back in town from work, I decided to go out of town for my four day weekend. I lost two weekends due to work and gained them back as four days off from work. Funny how that works, out of town for work and out of town for pleasure.

psychohawk

Observer
Big Pine -> Eureka Dunes -> Steele Pass -> Saline Valley -> Lippencott -> The Racetrack then out the southern end at Badwater.

That's a great route, I did the reverse a couple years ago. Sorry it didn't work out this time.

Thanks for the report!
Carl

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
What was the weather like at the bottom? I was there in September 2 years ago and it was like 115-125F down there. Still Death Valley is AWESOME. I want to go back again soon.

Cool pics.

Bart

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
What was the weather like at the bottom? I was there in September 2 years ago and it was like 115-125F down there. Still Death Valley is AWESOME. I want to go back again soon.

Nights were in the low to mid 40s. Highs were in the high 60s to mid 70s. When hiking, it's cool in the shade where a nice wind breaker is all one really needed. Dante's View, on the other hand, was a bit chilly and windy which required fleece and a beanie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears