Four seat SMB?

mtnmike

Observer
Looking for an expedition rig and like the SMBs but we have two kids. Anyone seen a four seat model or seen one modified? Would love an EarthRoamer but $$$$$$$. Thanks.
New member, love this site!

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Welcome to ExPo Mike!

I believe the Sportsmobiles have fully functional rear seatbelts, including the latch system for carseats; although the passengers are a bit far back....

Another option would be to find a Quigley or Pathfinder conversion van (4x4) and set it up how you would like it. I'm not sure if SMB would add a roof only or not...but it doesn't hurt to ask....

-H-

EMrider

Explorer
Welcome to ExPo Mike!

I believe the Sportsmobiles have fully functional rear seatbelts, including the latch system for carseats; although the passengers are a bit far back....

Another option would be to find a Quigley or Pathfinder conversion van (4x4) and set it up how you would like it. I'm not sure if SMB would add a roof only or not...but it doesn't hurt to ask....

-H-

Yep, many of the configurations have a rear bench seat with belts.

Or, you can have SMB design a rig with 4 captain's chairs. We travel often with 3 kids and have an extra captain's chair. That and two across on the rear bench works just fine.

R

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey Mike,
As someone with a family of 4 and as someone who just went through the design process with SMB I completely understand your thoughts.
If you go to the sportsmobile.com website they have drawings of the standard floorplans, and there are tons.

Now that said, there is also a do it yourself design tool that is online and more fun than you have had in years.
You pick out the rig..Regular Body vs Extended Body..and then just like the old paper dolls days you move around any range of seats, beds, cabinets or whatever, where ever....not to mention they will flat build anything you can think of.

SMB West is who I have been working with and you should fee free to give them a call or visit the factory for a tour.

They will build your van bit by bit...if you bring in your own van they can do just the 4wd conversion, just the top, just the interior, whatever you want.

Check out the site and come to the Overland Expo in April to see a ton of them in person and if you ask I bet you will be able to drive one at least (mine will be aval.).

surfgeek33

Adventurer
Looking for an expedition rig and like the SMBs but we have two kids. Anyone seen a four seat model or seen one modified? Would love an EarthRoamer but $$$$$$$. Thanks.
New member, love this site!

Welcome! Here is our floor plan. It is the EB 71 Modified to our specification. The original floor plan actually has 4 seats. We took the seat behind the passenger side since we only have one child. However, if we change our mind, we can always install a 4th capt. seat from SMB.

0092b8cc7b0c644a01f62b8c3af81320.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey Ray,
I started with the 71 floorplan also and tweaked it...great minds think alike

mtnmike

Observer
I really like the idea of walk thru access to the camper and yeah a crew cab truck would be perfect. Looks like the Tigers are a little more affordable too.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
My van came with 4 captains chairs originally and I can tell you they eat up tons of otherwise usable living space inside. If you could find rear seats that allowed the backs to fold down flat to act as tables or something it might be better. I'm about ready to bolt in a 3rd seat to accomodate the new baby, and the thought of losing the square footage hurts me :). If you could manage to use the interior "gaucho" (what the hell does that mean anyway..?) as buckled seating, you'd be far better off. At some point I'm going to revise the floor plan of Boomer, and when this happens, the fold out couch will double as travel seating.

Spence

beernutmark

Transformer?

You also might want to think about a transformer type setup. Do a search here or at sportsmobileforum.com and you will find good info about them. They no longer have links to them on their website but here is a brochure about them (via the wayback machine)

http://web.archive.org/web/20060509...ordchevy/transformer/sm_transformer_flyer.pdf

I am going this route (homebrew style) because I really like all the windows in the passenger van. One of the main reasons for going camping/tripping with the kids is for them to see all the cool scenery and animals along the way. They always notice the neatest stuff before I do. Even with the 71 plan the window view just isn't the same as in a passenger van.

I will be giving up a lot of neat built in stuff but I will be able to convert the van to carry lots of kids or family for skiing, short city trips, birthday parties etc...

Something to look at anyway.

Mark

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
You also might want to think about a transformer type setup. Do a search here or at sportsmobileforum.com and you will find good info about them. They no longer have links to them on their website but here is a brochure about them (via the wayback machine)

http://web.archive.org/web/20060509...ordchevy/transformer/sm_transformer_flyer.pdf

I am going this route (homebrew style) because I really like all the windows in the passenger van. One of the main reasons for going camping/tripping with the kids is for them to see all the cool scenery and animals along the way. They always notice the neatest stuff before I do. Even with the 71 plan the window view just isn't the same as in a passenger van.

I will be giving up a lot of neat built in stuff but I will be able to convert the van to carry lots of kids or family for skiing, short city trips, birthday parties etc...

Something to look at anyway.

Mark

Hey, thanks for the pdf! With 5 kids, I was trying to figure out how to set up a potential SMB purchase. I never thought about that specific configuration.

beernutmark

With 5 kids, I was trying to figure out how to set up a potential SMB purchase.

I am currently working on my layout for my EB van. I am trying to set it up so that the two middle benches can stay in the van. There will be a rear bed platform where the rear bench was that will go fold over the now rear most bench. The front bench will be removed and I will have a pod similar to the one SMB uses but with and ARB fridge and no microwave.

With this layout I can transport 8 people and camp 4 in the van (with the popup). So far I have been having problems figuring out how to make the rear bed platform work and still keep the second to last bench. They just don't make many bench seats that fold forward.

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears