Four Wheel Camper Considerations

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
We are looking into transitioning from our Sprinter van build to a FWC on a Tundra. It's a really tough decision that is still up in the air.

I was hoping I could get some help/opinions from those of you who have some experience with these campers.

The difference between a Granby and Hawk is literally just SQ ft correct?

Any reason NOT to go with a Granby on a Tundra?

With a family, the side dinette option seems to provide a sleeping place for our 3 y/o that would be out of the way, allowing us to sleep in the upstairs bed without having to step over her (vs a front dinette option). Does anybody have any pics of the side dinette built into a bed?

Would it be advantageous to get the longer bed Tundra (double cab) in order to have the camper flush mounted?

What are people doing for storage of the abundant gear us outdoor adventure folks take with us (bikes, climbing gear, camera equipment)?

Thanks for all the help! :beer:

parkkitchings

Adventurer
If you've got a lot of gear I'd stick with the Sprinter. I've got a Tacoma with a FWC (side dinette) and a good friend who has a customized Sprinter. I like my set-up but I'd trade him tommorow if he offered. My input anyway.

rilcombs

Hi Butch,

Why are you interested in trading in the Sprinter for a Tundra w/ FWC?

I ask, because I literally just sold my Westfalia to do the same thing! I haven't fired on a truck yet (can't decide between the new and old Tundra or current Tacoma), but have always thought about doing a Sprinter instead.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Definitely curious why as well. I would have a sportsmobile 4x4 if it wasn't so expensive. Granted it wouldn't be the standard westfalia style floor plan. But I like the shared seating area/living space for traveling. Especially with kids. But my Tacoma/fleet is much smaller and more nimble off road and fits comfortably in my garage.

The grandby is longer than the hawk, otherwise basically the same. Personally I prefer the forward dinette, again especially with kids. The side dinette is really small and narrow. The walkway is narrow and a pain when getting up to pee, working in the kitchen etc. If you end up with another kid (my second one is coming and wasn't in the plans earlier), or a friend comes along, two kids can sleep in the forward dinette. Especially with the wider dinette in the grandby. I think it would be a mistake to not get in both first.

The extra gear is a shuffle and always will be. Some things get piled on the floor of the camper during the travel and left outside or in the truck when camped. Otherwise it rides on the dinette in containers. I use and like front runner flat folding containers. Easily stackable and foldable, padded etc. We started using them for our clothes and everything. Since they also have a pocket for a label, it is easy to identify everything. Stuff can easily be stacked on the counter above the fridge or elsewhere when not needed. Some people use storage boxes on the roof. I've carried my bike on a hitch rack, but eventually want to mount fork mounts on the back of the camper.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Great feedback guys! Maybe we won't move to a FWC. We've not had the opportunity to look inside one yet, but had assumed the sq/ft would be similar to our van build. We really like our Sprinter, I just would like something with a little more off-road capability.

longhorn1

Observer
Great feedback guys! Maybe we won't move to a FWC. We've not had the opportunity to look inside one yet, but had assumed the sq/ft would be similar to our van build. We really like our Sprinter, I just would like something with a little more off-road capability.

You will want an 8' bed for a Grandby. We have an F-250, 8' bed, 2014 Grandby with a front dinette. When you have the upper bed extension pulled out, it covers about half the seating of the front dinette with the overhang. The Hawk front dinette is approximately 6" narrower than the Grandby. Easy to step off onto the dinette seat, even with someone sleeping down there.

I would suggest logging onto Wander The West as you will get great feedback from all of the FWC people. Wander the West has a dedicated section for FWC and one for ATC.

Good luck,

Longhorn

Cayuse

Observer
I have a Grandby on a 2008 Tundra with a 6.5 foot bed. It is a absolutely fantastic setup, for two people. When three or four go and we can't store climbing gear or other toys in the backseat it starts to get old clearing out the camper every night and moving it into the cab and then reversing the process in the morning. Because of the transferring gear back and forth issue I'm currently looking at picking up a 1/4 ton trailer that I can tow with me on just about any road that I'll take the truck/camper combo.

Perks

I have a '13 Tundra double cab with a Hawk side dinette. For the wife and I and the dog (no kids, and no plans for kids) it is perfect. We could get a 3rd in to sleep on the converted dinette no problem.

I have the 6.5ft bed, camper does not hang out past the bumper which I prefer. 8ft bed Tundra's around here at least are hard to come by in double cab.

MINO

Adventurer
We're currently in a 2012 DC Tundra 6.5bed with a custom built competitor's pop-up (similar in size to the Hawk) - a few inches shorter lengthwise to retain a closing tailgate. A few inches wider to accommodate a king size bunk. Instead of a dinette, we went with a converting bench with extra storage underneath. It opens to a decent twin sized bed - I've slept comfortably on it a few times when I didn't feel like "popping up" (I'm 6'1" and 240lbs). We've never felt that "we should have got the dinette" - Even when entertaining our traveling partners and their now 5yo when it's too cold or wet to eat outside.

As others have mentioned, the 8' bed is hard to come by and only available in white, if you're buying new. It was immediately off my list due to A: increased high-center risk and B: Reduced towing and maximum payload over the 6.5. Although minimal on paper, the larger Grandby will add more weight than the smaller campers "fully loaded".

My fully armored and loaded rig has weighed in as high as 8830lbs. Past GVWR by 1900lbs when me and the wife are in it. I've never felt unsafe driving it, but this is also food for thought if you plan to bring "adventure and camera gear". Overweight rigs are a pretty common sight on this forum.

We travel with 3 cats and I'm already feeling like we need to get a larger rig with more useable space - like a high-roof Sportsmobile Sprinter 4x4. Dimensions are very close to my set-up. MPG goes in favor to the Sprinter - 20 vs 11. But I'm supercharged with 500hp vs 188hp. :)

Good luck with your search.

YM5A3856-Edit.jpg

smlobx

Wanderer
Not wanting to start a brand war but if you decide to go with the Grandby please consider getting a 3/4 ton truck. You'll be happier in the long run.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
I'm really on the fence at the moment about the entire platform. After a ton of great feedback here, we might choose to build another van. I think we would have a hard time giving up the space. I'm still really craving the ability to get a little further down some dirt roads than our van affords us the chance to do, but space in the vehicle might be more important at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998