Four Wheel Camper Flatbed Conversion

liftedlimo

Adventurer
Sorry if I missed it, but do you plan on re-skinning the roof with the e-panels? I am more worried about the seam leaking if I try that route vs a rubber membrane style re-skin.

teleturns

Adventurer
Sorry if I missed it, but do you plan on re-skinning the roof with the e-panels? I am more worried about the seam leaking if I try that route vs a rubber membrane style re-skin.

No my original roof is in great shape and I am going to leave it as is. I might use a poly roof coating on it after I mount solar panels....

eugene

Explorer
If I need to replace a panel I'll just build a new camper....

Sometimes thats easier. Its taken me twice as long at least because I've replaced one part at a time of mine, I have to carefully disassemble, measure, build new, move other things out of the way, put the other things back, etc so many times. It would have been faster and cheaper to just start from scratch.

Captm

Adventurer
Removing Sikaflex

If for some unforeseen reason you needed to remove a panel, heat the SikaFlex with a hot air gun in one area then as you pull /push the panel away keep moving the heat as you work your way around the panel. Also a power 18v caulk gun, Home Depot etc., will be invaluable for the install. :ylsmoke: Your camper is looking great, Cheers!

teleturns

Adventurer
If for some unforeseen reason you needed to remove a panel, heat the SikaFlex with a hot air gun in one area then as you pull /push the panel away keep moving the heat as you work your way around the panel. Also a power 18v caulk gun, Home Depot etc., will be invaluable for the install. :ylsmoke: Your camper is looking great, Cheers!

Thanks! I have been looking at the 18v Ryobi caulking gun that matches my drill/saw combo. I'll probably pick it up this weekend.

teleturns

Adventurer
STUCK LIKE CHUCK!...the panels that is...

Yesterday my SO and I used the Sikaflex and stuck all of the exterior panels. Everything went really smooth until the afternoon temperatures started to rise and the Sikaflex warmed up and become gooey. The panels tried to slump down from their final position and we had to brace and rachet strap them. I would recommend using the Sikaflex in the shade with 60-70 degree temperatures. I checked the panels this morning and the adhesive has not completly cured. Hopefully by tonight they will be set. I stuck the door in for the pictures.

20120317_111440.jpg

20120317_111435.jpg

20120317_111451.jpg

20120317_111459.jpg

20120317_111511.jpg

20120317_111535.jpg

20120317_111539.jpg

I also did a little work to my moms cool custom Toyota 4x4 Chinock Popup....She is headed to Colorado and wanted me to make sure she is good to go.

20120317_111736.jpg

20120317_111748.jpg

Last edited:

xxfullsailxx

Observer
whoa... looks like a brand new camper! but better, since you get to do your own interior!

how are you going to finish the corners?

gonna be a sweet rig!

the chinook's pretty cool too! nice work mom...

teleturns

Adventurer
whoa... looks like a brand new camper! but better, since you get to do your own interior!

how are you going to finish the corners?

gonna be a sweet rig!

the chinook's pretty cool too! nice work mom...

I have 2" aluminum angle flashing for the corners. It is going to be tricky to get it to be flush...hopefully everything will work out.

We are planning on using the camper to sneek around Overland Expo in May. I want to go check out all of the vendors......

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
This is looking great. Did you buy a new door from fwc? Did it come with the jamb and all the goodies? Do you remember about what it cost? Screen door?

Im thinking it might be worth it for me to buy one of their complete door assemblies vs building my own.

Thanks
-Chris

teleturns

Adventurer
This is looking great. Did you buy a new door from fwc? Did it come with the jamb and all the goodies? Do you remember about what it cost? Screen door?

Im thinking it might be worth it for me to buy one of their complete door assemblies vs building my own.

Thanks
-Chris

Yes I did buy a new door from FWC, but I bought it for the camper when the door was in the rear location and there was no intention to remodel the camper. I had installed this door 2 years ago and we had used it for 1 season. The door is extremely nice and has a screen door, but it was pricey. I think I paid around $450 for it. Originally I bought the camper for $500, so the door was a big investment.

After the fact I discovered the doors from ATC are alot cheaper than FWC. If you decide to buy a door make sure you shop around.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
What kind of saw blade did you use to cut the epanel? I assume a high tooth count circular and maybe a saber saw for the window openings?

Any issues with splintering, tearout or melting?

Thanks
-Chris

teleturns

Adventurer
What kind of saw blade did you use to cut the epanel? I assume a high tooth count circular and maybe a saber saw for the window openings?

Any issues with splintering, tearout or melting?

Thanks
-Chris

I used a normal wood blade on my circular saw for the long cuts and I used a jig saw with a 32 tpi blade on the detailed cuts. I had absolutely no issues cutting the e-panel. If I moved the circular saw to fast there would be a little lip in the edge of the aluminum. I slowed down and that went away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior