Four Wheel Camper Flatbed Conversion

pods8

Explorer
Headache racks are a must to protect the back window when throwing wood into your truck.

User preference IMHO, stock trucks don't have the window covered and I don't bust those out when I load stuff in. I put the flatbed order in for my truck and I'm going with a short headboard that ends below the window same as stock so the access between the slider windows on the truck/camper isn't blocked. Plus I don't like the looks of them.

Cool epxo pics. Lets see those completed steps too!

t4rman

Adventurer
Nice to meet you at the expo. Good luck with the rest of the build. It's looking great so far. Even better in person!

t4rman

Adventurer
Thanks man...It was great to meet you too....Where did you end up going after expo?

The trip did not quite go as planned. My buddy had a slight emergency and had to return home by this morning. It cut our trip short by a full day and a half. We drove to monument valley (I highly recommend stopping by if you're in the area) then did a quick tour of the San Juan national forest on the way home. I'll pm you some pics so I don't clutter your build.

Happycamper

Adventurer
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info on the headache rack.

On a related matter it would seem that the camper on a flatbed should sit higher above the cabin than yours appears.

Your rig looks very balanced and proportional. Is that a function of the old Dodge being taller?

What is the cab top to underside of bed clearance please? Looks to be less than the height of wheel wells in a standard pickup tray.

Lots of great outfits to drool over at the Expo, I reckon yours is up there with the best!

Ross

teleturns

Adventurer
Thanks for the info on the headache rack.

On a related matter it would seem that the camper on a flatbed should sit higher above the cabin than yours appears.

Your rig looks very balanced and proportional. Is that a function of the old Dodge being taller?

What is the cab top to underside of bed clearance please? Looks to be less than the height of wheel wells in a standard pickup tray.

Lots of great outfits to drool over at the Expo, I reckon yours is up there with the best!

Ross

Flatbeds do sit taller than OE truck beds. I feel that the gap between the roof and my camper is a little too big at about 6" and I'll probably build a fairing to help with aerodynamics. From the bottom of my flatbed to the roof of my cab is 43.5".

teleturns

Adventurer
Did some work today. Got the heater location pinned down. Built the walls for the battery storage and the propane storage. Also finished doing the pink foam on the walls......

20120603_171129.jpg

20120603_171143.jpg

20120603_171154.jpg

20120603_171206.jpg

xtremexj

Adventurer
Looks great Tyler!! That furnace and insulation will be sure to help keep the mrs warm.:) Keep pluggin' away and you'll be done before you know it.

blakeape

Adventurer
That looks great! I am building a flatbed for my 1997 Dodge and am going to have to do a swing-out to carry my 37" spare and still get into my camper, your side door is really slick! I love my flatbed so far and its not even close to done, really make's the truck more and more handy.

teleturns

Adventurer
That looks great! I am building a flatbed for my 1997 Dodge and am going to have to do a swing-out to carry my 37" spare and still get into my camper, your side door is really slick! I love my flatbed so far and its not even close to done, really make's the truck more and more handy.

Blakeape...You're truck is my dream truck. I have been following your thread. The flatbed setup on yours looks great! I am sold on flatbeds and I will never own another truck with out one.....I just need to rebuild my headache rack so that I can throw crap into my bed.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online