Frame mounted air compressor

swashbuckler

Hooligan
In the pursuit of convenience and space optimization, I'm considering mounting an air compressor and surge tank to the frame (don't really want it in the cab, don't really have room under the hood). I've got a spot that it'll be well tucked away from rocks and whatnot but what about mud and road spray? Those of you that have done it, how did you mitigate that? Or did you just not worry about it?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
We have a small Viair along with a small tank mounted along the chassis of our superduty.
Its tucked up high enough and sitting on a tray, it doesnt get hit by much, I also added a remote intake for it that breaths via a storage compartment.
Been there for years now, besides replacing a pressure switch, no problems to report.

Photo of it first installed...
47209779462_f106660a84_b.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I've got a 12V Puma compressor under the bed on my #LX45 project. It has been there for about 4 years now without any issues. It is between the frame up as high as practical behind the cabin to keep it away from front tire spray. Overall, it has been fine including days of driving through the rain, creek fording, snow'wheeling, etc. I do turn the compressor off when doing a deep water crossing.

JackW

Explorer
I've got an air tank from a Range Rover Classic mounted to the frame of my Defender 90 just outside of the right hand frame rail. The compressor is mounted in the cubby under the right passenger seat with a breather hose running up to a small air cleaner behind the seat back.
I have air lines run to the front bumper and just inside the rear door of the truck. Its been there for at least twelve years. Its one of the best modifications I've done to the truck.

1707709448864.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior