Frame rust inspection

Curious if anybody has any tips to a diy frame inspection? Out of the warranty period so Toyota won’t do it but I would like to know if I have long term issues to be concerned about.

04 Tundra, 140k original owner. Been in Southern California it’s whole life with the occasional snowboarding trip, not overly concerned but would be great to have the peace of mind. Appreciate the help!

bkg

Explorer
Iirc, Toyota uses a body hammer to test for rust through. If you’ve been in so cal, crawl under and take a look around. I suspect you’ll see a very nice frame

Airmapper

Inactive Member
If it looks like this....not good.

aWOhT03hvx8jR0mfdTutQaCoWe3BW9AQlyX6sWSMq7ChlxTUNuCX6mDDcozNCf0jNFHfQ853MlNqSFYcX0qh4NrvpukFvH-ikgSaOvG4bQNa2f4efL2swT2HFtanGrDRpvfhy9AexbSnhTo7B2TixbiIcK8FCUbBx-Hgd6eQiGoVH4uExUjB9oGAKsbkDqen7NqmvmjvPOJEr-whrQpGtaY3QDsqBiH5AVM7bexTRYRBKFb-91ZV-d-jqno-PA_A-Hc9HfWCezeOdzExiFB-hyB_T9dkrDT_XzQcJZF1qvI5ahzNwFxvTI0AtZxKpONBAz-VBSyljeFjrm-9BXlXdla8Fhw9jxLV4qgdS0Th4KDaBO9-W_NJzTV-zYq_7azniaFv6akd78dJ8VcUsmzRW2spWaTqyVAFn_ygdkZYYNciZzIaHs2ytjzQj0Byb_W_dEKes8csTw6NL35sJgbWTt4fC6Vklo7KvbHHiwnJ6kWrAASaGIYDnTQeV0_aUlJaaPzEzKOEpx_2D6OS4toZfa9CJahP0ZzUp3whypb9e4aIirmXM1KdxSw4nlzvQ6N4uqLjyXc9s_9WRM_tObV2m39y6eYn6p_dytknko1bvwUrpzfAdI1DTXr4gyJENoaEPwreQdacIZLIClSWheLTrPjurECILMZY=w1159-h869-no

Thanks for that document Dave. I am definitely in example number 2 with mild surface rust only. Will hammer a few spots for fun, not expecting anything. Time to get under there for a sand and repaint for the next 15 years!

Adventurous

Explorer
Thanks for that document Dave. I am definitely in example number 2 with mild surface rust only. Will hammer a few spots for fun, not expecting anything. Time to get under there for a sand and repaint for the next 15 years!

The worst parts of the frame tend to be the boxed sections where they rot from the inside out. If you are going to repaint, consider picking up a few cans of this stuff: https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.html

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Note that Toyota didn't recommend wailing on your frame with a 3 lbs drilling hammer, so don't go nuts. My $0.02 is that I'd at least use a nylon faced hammer because smacking the frame with even dull steel can't get good for the paint and putting voids in that will certainly lead to rust.

I agree with Adventurous about the Eastwood. That's the stuff I used inside the boxed sections of my frames.

IMG_0993_mid.jpg IMG_0992_mid.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179