Frame saver?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Those that have steel bikes, did you use any kind of frame saver to prevent rust? I just bought an all steel SS MTB frame and I'm just wondering if I should get it treated. Or maybe just drill a tiny hole at the bottom at the BB? I honestly don't think it will rust out before my riding life time, especially adding in the fact that I technically live in a desert.

Anyway, just curious what your thoughts were.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
I always use Weigle Frame Saver in my steel frames. Even in the desert it is cheap insurance against corrosion and adds negligible weight. A hole in the bottom of the BB is also a must to drain water, assuming the BB shell is actually open to the seat tube. Some BB modern shells are a solid tube and a hole would serve no purpose.

ckblum

You mean like a chro-mo frame? I had chro-mo BMX's and older steel framed bikes and never had a problem with corrosion and I live in the lower mainland of BC, rainy and wet, near the ocean.

I wouldn't drill a hole in the BB, I think it would just let dirt and nasties enter.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
I also always use Weigle Frame Saver in my steel frames. Water sometimes can't get down to the bb shell. And I agree that it is cheap insurance. I've seen frames rust out through the toptube where moisture collected that seeped down the seatpost and down the toptubes venthold(I suspect that was the path).

-Chris

1x1_Speed_Craig

I always use Weigle Frame Saver in my steel frames. Even in the desert it is cheap insurance against corrosion and adds negligible weight. A hole in the bottom of the BB is also a must to drain water, assuming the BB shell is actually open to the seat tube. Some BB modern shells are a solid tube and a hole would serve no purpose.

I have used Frame Saver in one former steel tandem (good rust insurance), but it's heavy, goopy stuff. I could tell a noticeable difference in the bicycle weight (again, this was a tandem, though). For my current bikes, I typically just use a spray-type oil and/or 3-in-1 oil once a year. I'm more of a "fair weather rider", though, so don't typically ride in thick, nasty, rainy slop.

Craig

4xdog

Explorer
I have steel frames that are over 90 years old, and doing just fine with no frame saver.

I have a 35+ year old Reynolds 531 DB frame on a commuter that has a number of scratches and scrapes, but no rust.

I have a 3 year old Waterford fast road frame that I **did** use Weigel's Frame Saver on, but that's mainly cause I spent almost $3000 on a custom 68 cm frame with polished stainless lugs and BB, and I'm planning to ride that one until I drop (or the Alex Singer now being finished for me turns out to be an even better bike)!

My conclusion -- go ahead and treat. It's not hard to do, and it'll give some peace of mind. Is it really needed? I don't think so. If you stay on top of cleaning the frame, and especially watch bottle cage inserts, you'll be just fine.

Don

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I love the Waterford and Gunner bikes. Same goes for me nothing added to my steel frames and I live in a rainforest. The best thing to do is not leave it outside all winter in the snow. Bring it in and clean it now and then you should be good.

1x1_Speed_Craig

One other point, which will vary on geography, is that it's a more sensitive issue in the northern climates if your bikes stay in an unheated garage. The inside of the steel tubes will "sweat" with temperature fluctuations. All of my steel bikes stay nice 'n cozy indoors.

The only exception is the BMX tandem I built for my kids, which hung in a damp, uninsulated pole barn for 2 years. However, the tubing on this bike is so freakin' thick, I'm not really worried about it. :sombrero:

Craig

bmxTandemComplete2.jpg

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Ok, so another question -- Is it PROVEN to work? If I treat the frame (properly), will I never have to worry about rust?

One other question - Will using spray paint to paint the inside of the tubes work?

Just to point out, my steel bikes are not ridden in snow or a lot of rain. Mostly for summer rides. We hardly have any mud out here, much less substantial rain showers, so that probably won't be an issue.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Ok, so another question -- Is it PROVEN to work? If I treat the frame (properly), will I never have to worry about rust?

One other question - Will using spray paint to paint the inside of the tubes work?

Just to point out, my steel bikes are not ridden in snow or a lot of rain. Mostly for summer rides. We hardly have any mud out here, much less substantial rain showers, so that probably won't be an issue.

It's steel - there's never a guarantee against rust, despite what any coating manufacturers may claim. You can prevent, but not guarantee. Seriousy, I can see where you're coming from. I used to be (and still am to an extent) very anal-retentive about my bikes, and I worried about rust a lot. Now I use preventative cautions, and don't worry as much. I just ride & enjoy.

Paint probably won't stick well, as there will be oils on the inside of the frame, most likely. Even if there wasn't, you wouldn't get consistent coverage in the tubes.

Are you opposed to the light oiling idea?

Craig

tacollie

Glamper
I have seen frames rust with frame saver on occasion. Most newer frames have weep holes that allow moisture to dry out. 10-15 years ago builders thought they could weld the tubes shut to prevent rust. This limits weld penetration and potentially traps moisture in. Fat Chance and Ibis were a couple brands that really had that problem.

Honestly, I think is is more important to clean the sweet off your frame as it tends to creep under cable guides where paint coverage can be tricky. I have seen 6 month old aluminum frames with top tubes that have corrossion holes.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I have done nothing and had the 531 Reynolds frame since I was 14, I still have it and still ride it while scratched it is not rusting. I spray gt85 or triflow in the internal cable guides and breather holes about once a year just in case. The bike is a Trek 660.

A

Cackalak Han

Explorer
1x1 Speed Craig - I'm not opposed to the light oiling, and honestly, that's what I'll probably do. I do not want to cake the inside with that frame saver stuff. If I ever do splash into a creek or whatever, I'll take out the seat post, fork, BB and leave it inside to dry out for a while.

Thanks for all of the replies.

tacollie

Glamper
My brother has a Reynolds 853 Fluid that with him for 13 years now. It spent a couple years in Missouri, 5 in Hawaii, a couple in Colorado, and the last two in Oregon. When you go out in the heat and sweat all over it clean it off when you are done. If you chip the paint touch it up. Its a lot like your truck in that sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78