Freelander as an overland vehicle?

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Hmmm....a Freelander with Monroe Shocks and bias ply tires might be the hot setup.

But then, like Scott, you'd have a vehicle whose suspension was worth more than the truck . . .

I would certainly not choose a Freelander as my own overlanding vehicle, but I understand the emotional aspect of vehicle ownership, too. If someone who owns a Freelander, knows its faults, and loves it anyway for whatever reasons, wants to take it on extended trips, I'd wish him the best of luck rather than telling him he's a fool.

Scott Brady

Founder
But then, like Scott, you'd have a vehicle whose suspension was worth more than the truck . . .

The cost is irrelevant if the truck is priceless to its owner.

There are some things worth investing in, like a pristine 1995, 5-speed Discovery SD owned by a minister. That truck is blessed. . .:sombrero:

gmookher

self promotion and misinformation

still true I see,just wanted to note that I called it that several years ago on freelanderliving...and muddyoval.

(thanks, just had to add my 2 cents, feeling just that much better now ;-)

PTSchram

Frank:
Thank you for independently confirming my claims.

My only reason for weighing into this quagmire was to correct some mis-information that I had extensive and expensive personal factual knowledge of.

Cheers,
PT

I'm just really curious how you are going to get around this:

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/policies/civil/caa/mobile/engswitch.pdf

I just spent the morning on the phone with the several state and federal offices (including the EPA) they don't do what you are quoting, there are no special certifications issued. I even forwarded your posts regarding this and I was told it sounds like a "internet fairy tale"...It is illegal to import the specified motor in the US ( I even provided them with a VIN from the truck from the breaker yard outside of London), plain and simple and convert a NAS Disco.

but you know what, prove me wrong and I'll believe it when you've finished it and it's 100% legal, not just a tag from a state where there are no emission checks.

Thor

Observer
Hey guys and gals,

Lets not make this board suck like the others.

I know I don't post much here, because I have no knowledge from which to post about overland travel or expeditions. I'm in learning mode. I am attracted to both of these so I joined the board to learn, as I assumed that would be the main focus of this discussion board.

BTW a disco I with a td5 drove by me the other day legally tagged. NO IDEA WHO IS WAS THOUGH.

PTSchram

BTW a disco I with a td5 drove by me the other day legally tagged. NO IDEA WHO IS WAS THOUGH.

The only way that a Diesel Land Rover is in the US legally is if it's here for demonstration, modification, etc, OR it belongs to a non-US citizen who has it here under a bond equal to the original purchase price of the vehicle.

There are no other ways to legally possess an otherwise non-certified engine in the US.

While it is highly unlikely for anyone to ever be prosecuted to the full extent of the applicable laws, anyone who tells you otherwise (absent the very narrow exceptions paraphrased above) is either lying or stupid.

Registration status is not an indicator of legality, it merely indicates a state collected taxes.

Brian4d

Was it an XD? Asking because I could have sworn I saw one for sale about a year ago. Can't remember what board though... Oh, in the states. Had pictures and everything.

Last edited:

mongosd2

Adventurer
The only way that a Diesel Land Rover is in the US legally is if it's here for demonstration, modification, etc, OR it belongs to a non-US citizen who has it here under a bond equal to the original purchase price of the vehicle.

There are no other ways to legally possess an otherwise non-certified engine in the US.

While it is highly unlikely for anyone to ever be prosecuted to the full extent of the applicable laws, anyone who tells you otherwise (absent the very narrow exceptions paraphrased above) is either lying or stupid.

Registration status is not an indicator of legality, it merely indicates a state collected taxes.

and let's be clear...I'm not talking about dropping in a 4BT or 2.8 izuzu. I want to import and transplant a LAND ROVER BUILT Deisel in my 2002 D2. It's just not gonna happen. There are plenty of D1, D90's, D110's running around with diesels in them, 2 of the guys from www.ROXS.US (Frank Motley and Paul Sipe drive two ECR trucks that I'd kill for). Bottom line is that it is getting next to impossible to do a swap legally...thank you california

Thor

Observer

I am quite sure you are correct on this. Just relaying a true story.

rugbier

Adventurer
There's no "sleuthing" needed - it's public record, takes a couple calls.

You ARE NOT listed as a member/partner of ANY corp. or LLC concerning DAP.

Not to stick up for Mr. Young, but there are plenty of Owners of Inc that are not listed on any Public Record, specially if a previously formed Corporation takes in a NEW partner, it is not required to be listed as we do not have the articles of incorporation to lay out the Shares or needed capacities.

Also an LLC can have YOU as a Managing Director ( aka the rubberman ) and I could be 100% owner and no one knows who I am or any record listed

roostercruiser

Adventurer
first off i do not have a rover. i really want a rover because when i lived in Belgium in 85 my neighbor had a Camel trophy truck. i was a 8 yrs old and thought it was the coolest thing ever. it got me intrested in offroading and expeditions. if i had the $ i would like an old rover like that. anyways with ? where is Goat Hill?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle