Freelander help required

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
My wife has a 2002 V6 Freelander and the prop shaft bearing just behind the viscous coupling is shot.

Need a part number for it.

All I seem to be able to find all say (not for V6)

intermediate shaft bearing just rear of the viscous coupling

When looking the front and the rear bearings look diferent, all the diagrams I can find show two identical ones.

hence my confusion......presumably the startling power and torque of this V6 shopping cart must require a diferent bearing !

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I know very little about Freelanders, but this is what I found.
driveshaft.jpg

bearing.jpg

I think you're looking for #5

Have you dug in to enough to know if you can take it apart and use a generic bearing?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
yep numero 5

and I just kept finding the 010

your's lists the V6 as 060......where did you find the list ?

Thanks for the help !

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
yep numero 5

and I just kept finding the 010

your's lists the V6 as 060......where did you find the list ?

Thanks for the help !
No problem, now I can claim to have fixed a Freelander ;)
Source is Microcat.

BTW, the front one is the same PN as the rear.

Last edited:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
sell it ?

heheh I did'nt want to buy it in the first place, it was the only auto i found in 3 months in my price range as most people here drive manuals......

and a wife without a car ...............yeugh

Micropart - Ok found it....but not public.

here's my dilema.........these two identical parts look completely diferent !

Thats the dodads in front of and behind the large thingymebob in the middle.........or commonly known as a viscous coupling usually found elsewhere on a engine fan...this little puppy disengages the rear wheel at speed..........thankyou landrover for adding this not required part !

DSC_3853.jpg

So am I to presume a previous owner swapped out either -or of the two supports........

From the only pic i can find of the 60 version its diferent again

http://www.britishparts.co.uk/.sc/ms/bdd/ee/1898/PROPSHAFT%20SUPPORT%20BEARING

Bearing- fine but its a wonderfull rubber mounted bearing and the rubber is shot causing vibes under the seat

edit or I could just do what others have already thought of........throw it all away ! the wife will never notice !

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f16/freelander-missing-rear-propshaft-96466.html

Last edited:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Well, my first post was the limit of my knowledge, i.e., none.
All I can say is that in the illustration they are both the same, and both are identified as #5.
Could it be that 010, 040, and 060 all fit, but have a slight difference based on the particular engine, and that you're looking at a SPOT (Stupid Previous Owner Trick) where they installed the "wrong one" for one of them?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
exactly Tom, being that you can get 2 X 010 V's 1/2 a 060 for the same money- I tend to think, the the PO fudged a repair, and knowing the average indian "mechanic around here"

the question at Landrover went......

mmm that much money...is there any cheaper parts.....yes but they won't last as long...........

oh will it last a month ? oh yes no problem.....ok then give me the cheap part.....

yes sir all repaired properly sir, guarenteed for 1 month sir- part was expencive though- ( insert cost of 060 here) and many hours required to change it.

Thanks for the help.....1 off 010 to be fitted:)

being that we need to sell as we're leaving !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears