Fridge/Aux battery mounted on a skid ?

kjp1969

Explorer
So I just received my Edgestar fridge, and I'm thinking about getting creative on how to power and secure it in two different vehicles, a '95 Bronco or our '04 Sequoia. Neither vehicle has a dual battery system, but I'm thinking that I'll want one to power the fridge while the vehicle is off, and without draining the starting battery. Here's my idea:

A carpeted plywood skid with a deep cycle sealed battery (no venting issues) mounted in a box at the rear, Fridge at the front. The skid would securely mount to the cargo area using factory tie down points. The aux battery would plug into the 40 amp trailer charging circuit already built into both vehicles- it charges when the vehicle is running, off when it's off, just as with our camping trailer. On a daily driver, it seems like this would theoretically power the fridge indefinitely, yet be swapped into a different vehicle in a few minutes.

Thoughts?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
The only issue I can see is the weight

Just a 45ltr engel on its own is enough to hump arround- let alone connected to a battery

I run my fridge as a freezer and simply turn off at night, everything is still solid in the morning

There's a little silver 3 port 12 extension that walmart has that has a voltage shutoff too for about $10

After being parked about 2-3 days I need to recharge the battery

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I have basically what you are talking about, except mounted to my trailer and designed to be rolled around camp:

As was said already, the weight is a major factor. The setup itself works perfect and depending on your deep cycle, you can power your fridge for days. IF you have someone to help you load/unload it :)

dzzz

maybe add a low voltage cutoff?
Is there a tie down solution that keeps the two pieces separate? I too find the large engel plenty to handle by itself. Plus the skid will add height and weight. A marine batery box might be lightweight and have tiedown points.

kjp1969

Explorer
maybe add a low voltage cutoff?
Is there a tie down solution that keeps the two pieces separate? I too find the large engel plenty to handle by itself. Plus the skid will add height and weight. A marine batery box might be lightweight and have tiedown points.

I've got a battery brain on the Bronco, not the Sequoia. The Fridge supposedly has a low voltage cutoff as well, but I haven't tested it.

Yes, weight will be a factor and I don't really like the idea of a battery in the passenger compartment no matter how its secured. Maybe a really big diehard platinum flavored single battery setup would give me what I'm looking for without all the complexity of the skid.

dzzz

Maybe a little solar on the roof? A 30w setup for ~$200 would likely make a significant difference with the fridge. There are some watts per day discussions on the Engel, which would probably apply to the Edgestar.
Solar might get a little fiddly swapping between vehicles, however.
I expect for most people having a fridge running in a daily driver seems like a great idea.......for a couple months.

kjp1969

Explorer
Maybe a little solar on the roof? A 30w setup for ~$200 would likely make a significant difference with the fridge. There are some watts per day discussions on the Engel, which would probably apply to the Edgestar.
Solar might get a little fiddly swapping between vehicles, however.
I expect for most people having a fridge running in a daily driver seems like a great idea.......for a couple months.

You're reading my mind. And no, neither vehicle is my daily driver. This would go on occasionally for a camping trip, day at the beach or park, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78