Fridge / freezer use

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
I have an 86qt freezer/fridge and having a problem that I think most owners would be having. When it is set as a freezer it freezes my drinks; when set to fridge, it thaws my meats/icecreams.

How are you guys separating the drinks from the frozen supplies. For drinks, I'm thinking of putting them in a small styrofoam box (maybe with a few holes) to keep them from freezing.

Fenrir

Observer
For short term solutions Ive put my "freeze-ables" on the very bottom and laid a piece of rigid foam on top them put my chilled items on top. Seemed to work alright for a few days.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
Sounds like you need a double compartment freezer.
I got a NL and I can keep my frozen meats, ice cream, fish on one and my chilled drinks, fruit, veggies in the other..... ;)

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
most of our fridges have the cooler plates around the sides..
so I put the stuff I want colder on the outside of the fridge and the stuff I don't want frozen to the inside
works great for me

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I'm about to leave on a 2.5 week fishing trip to Wyoming and colorado with my ATC. The engel is mounted in the camper. I'm going to use it for food and use a Yeti in the rear seat of the truck for drinks. From past experience, if I start with cold drinks and use cold ice (ice that's been frozen to below zero in a freezer and not just shoveled out of an ice maker) it will not need ice for a long time. This way I have access to drinks in the truck while driving and beer next to the camp fire at night.

Plus, drinks (beer espescially) just seem to taste better coming out of a slurry in a cooler than being pulled out of the fridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears