Fridge full time in vehicle

zeropresence

Sorry if this has been posted, I tried to search and didn't find anything.

I'm mounting my fridge full time in my vehicle. 99% of the time it will be off, on trips or rare grocery errand runs it will be on. I know with a normal fridge or an RV fridge you want to crack the door to allow for air flow. Does anyone do this with an offroad fridge? I'm assuming as long as its dry inside and you have allowed it to vent after its last run its fine to shut?

dfinn

Adventurer
I let mine dry for a couple days with the lid cracked open and then close it after that. Usually use it on the weekends and it's off during the week.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I use mine in daily life far more often than camping. I rarely turn it off. If I know I might not drive for more than a day or two, I simply run an extension cord in through a window and plug it in.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Mine is in the LR full time. Not on unless there is a road trip happening. After a trip I clean it out with the same spray bottle rubbing alcohol we use to clean windows, leave it open (cracked) for a day or two then it is closed till the next run. It is permanently mounted to the floor between the two second row seats (removed the centre seat).
Have started to use a 15 watt solar panel to keep the house battery charged on long stays where we are not moving so often.
Great to have cold beer.

CSG

Explorer
My 2-way Norcold is built into the van cabinetry. When I get back, I just leave it open for a couple days and then close it if I remember.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
With our fridge and coolers I always toss a dry washcloth inside whenever storing them, the washcloth absorbs any moisture or smells.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Just curious why you wouldn't just keep the fridge running full time? I find them to be very handy things.

ChadHahn

Adventurer
I don't keep mine in the vehicle full time, but I do keep it running. That way when I need to take it to the grocery store or someplace, It's already cold.

Chad

caddo

We keep ours in the truck full time too, but only run it when needed... when we get back from the trip we will crack the lid open for a day or two to dry the interior and shut the lid/zipped the transit bag afterward..

Scoutman

Explorer
+1 for keeping it powered on and cold 24-7. I've been amazed with how often it comes in handy for day to day use. I put my lunch in it in the morning, sometimes use it for cold groceries in the summer, and I typically keep my 64 oz growler in there for a refill wherever convenient. If it's a daily driver and an efficient fridge it shouldn't have any issues running all the time. Just set the low voltage cutoff to a setting that's comfortable for your rig and go. Now if you're letting it sit for a week then sure you may want to turn it off and crack the lid with a rag or something. I find I have to wipe the moisture out every so often anyways.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Keeping a fridge running full time is great if you have a vehicle battery and a house battery. Leaving it on for a week could run down the vehicle battery enough so in a winter weather condition the vehicle might not start...but why take that chance? If you run a 24 V system it will use 1/2 the amps but most don't have that option. If you keep the vehicle in the garage a solar panel is not very helpful either. Plugging and unplugging a 120 V source can be a nuisance.
If I put cold things in there is is much better for start up. I usually plug in to 120 for the night before to get it to temp for a trip.

Last edited:

Dozer Dan

Observer
I permanently keep my Engel in the Defender. But it's not always on.
It's on for weeks at the time when I'm out and about regularly but when I know I won't be going out for a while I turn it off, wipe it out and keep the lid cracked open for a while. (Until I remember to close it...)
It cools pretty quickly anyway so never really an issue having to get it going.

mcskibadee1

Adventurer
I keep mine on 24/7 as well in my Sequoia. Great to have cold water and drinks when I am at the park with nieces and nephews. I also have solar setup and alternator charging when driving otherwise that battery would be dead in a day. I live in LA so the temps in my cabin could be 120 degrees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears