Fridge full time in vehicle

Mo4130

Adventurer
I keep mine running 24/7 but I also have a house and starting battery that automatically isolates when the truck turns off.

alia176

Explorer
I permanently keep my smaller Waeco fridge in the trunk of the family sedan and turn it on for grocery runs. We live far enough from "town" so having a fridge is very handy during the summer and we're not forced to hurry home after the grocery store.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
My Engel 45 has only been unplugged once for a very good cleaning in the year I've had it.
Speaking of, time for a cleaning again.

KC10Chief

I leave my 50qt ARB fridge running in my Jeep 24/7. I also have a dual battery setup in my Jeep that keeps the start battery separated once it gets below a certain voltage. The ARB fridge has a low voltage cutoff as well. You can set that cutoff in the fridge's settings. I can fun the fridge for a couple of days at least on the medium cutoff setting. If I'm going to not drive my Jeep for a few days and it's sitting in my garage, then I have a Noco Genius onboard dual battery charger. I have a plug on my front bumper and I just plug it in so that it keeps my batteries charged and runs my fridge. If I have to leave my Jeep at work for a few days or more, I have to remove the fridge. Since I usually have it stocked with cold beverages and snacks, I just put it on my work bench in my garage and plug it in to 110V. But I love having a fridge all the time. So handy. You have no idea all the uses you can find for it.

STREGA

Explorer

This has got my attention, this should give National Luna some competition.

Up until recently I ran my ARB 50L 24/7 since 2009 in my FJ Cruiser. I do have a 2nd battery that it ran on, never had any issues. Having a fridge/freezer in the truck was by far the best and most used mod I have. The fridge is now running 24/7 as a 2nd fridge in our house. Currently I'am using a high end ice chest in the FJC that is about the same physical size as the ARB, it does not work as good as the ARB it only holds about 2/3rds as much food and it's harder to keep temps as cold consistently.

KevinsMap

Adventurer
Too Useful to turn Off...

I have an Engel 27 in my Jeep JKU... when I'm "out there". The rest of the time it sits in my home office, comfortably living the high-life as a wine fridge ;-) Set it on minimum cooling, perfect for whites and rose'.

When it is time for the little bugger to go back to work, the Jeep is ready, with a permanently installed fridge rack with a quick-release, what Engel calls a Transit Slide-Lock. It is in (or out) in moments. Very easy.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
I leave my ARB running in the Jeep 24/7/365. It is my daily driver and weekend fun vehicle so no worries about the battery draining on me. After the first year, I did put in a dual battery and solar for when I'm basecamping and parked for a couple days though. If you intend on turning it on for a quick grocery trip and turning it off again when home I think you may be disappointed in its performance- even more so if you turn it on in the parking lot before going into the store. You'll either come back to a dead/weak battery and/or a warm fridge.

The reason RVs and such crack the windows for ventilation is they use a different style of fridge relying on propane vice 12V DC and a compressor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears