Fridge Mount For Expeditionary Travel - Maxing Out

maxingout

Adventurer
Deciding how you are going to mount your fridge on an expeditionary vehicle is a major decision that effects how you will store all the other items in the vehicle. The expensive solution is to get a fridge slide. You can put the fridge in an inconvenient location, and slide it out for easy access when you want to use it.

The other option is to place the fridge in a relative accesible location and mount it permanently in place. You don't require the complexity and expense of the slide if you take this approach.

I picked up my ARB fridge/freezer from Wil at Sierra Expeditions. Wil is extremely helpful in pointing out which fridge solution will work best for your particular vehicle. He is generous with his information and makes helpful recommendations and comments that help you make the right choice. When you are making major purchases, you need good information to sort things out, and Wil takes the time to answer all your questions.

Once I had the ARB fridge, I measured the footprint that I would need to create a mount for the fridge/freezer.

Fridge 5.JPG

I cut a piece of plywood to size and used aluminum angle to create the edges of the mount. I used the ARB mounting kit to securely attach the fridge to the aluminum angle.

Fridge 6.JPG

I attached the aluminum angle to the plywood with countersunk screws on the bottom of the fridge mount.

Fridge 8.JPG

I sealed the wood with polyurethane to minimize the warping of the fridge mount.

Fridge 7.JPG

On each end of the mount, I attached the metal tabs of ARB mounting kit.

Fridge 4.JPG

I bolted the fridge mount to the platform in the back of my Land Rover. I removed the 40% seat from my truck, and I carried the fridge mount forward to where the 40% seat was located. This gave me easy access to the contents of the fridge, and I also have the top of my security console box to set things on when I take things in and out of my fridge.

Fridge 3.JPG

I am extremely happy with the ARB mounting kit. It's the best $25 I have spent on the car. It's easy to tighten the straps so that the fridge does not move as you travel off-road.

Fridge 1.JPG

The ARB package made installation of the fridge a piece of cake. The hardest part was making the platform on which the fridgemount was placed.

Fridge 2.JPG

Thanks to Wil and Sierra Expeditions for their help with this project.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Very tidy! I added extra LR floor brackets so I can swap out the 60% seat with a 2nd 40% seat, so I can mount the fridge between the two passengers, and retain seating on both door sides to keep the shoulder harnesses. I struggled with same mounting choices, but ultimately the booster seat requirement made the decision for me.

I have the ARB mounting kit too. Good value! I like how clean your install is.

maxingout

Adventurer
Very tidy! I added extra LR floor brackets so I can swap out the 60% seat with a 2nd 40% seat, so I can mount the fridge between the two passengers, and retain seating on both door sides to keep the shoulder harnesses. I struggled with same mounting choices, but ultimately the booster seat requirement made the decision for me.

I have the ARB mounting kit too. Good value! I like how clean your install is.

I never thought about having a second 40% seat installation next to both doors. That is a good idea and worth consideration. I can see the benefits, and it would give you both wings for storage of larger items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears