Fridges

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Any suggestions on types of fridges to get. Saw a Coleman fridge and was wondering if that was a good one or to get like a ARB fridge?:smiley_drive:

Skratch

I'm by no means an expert or even very knowledgeable about fridges in vehicles other than my own experience.
And I have the Coleman right now in my rig, it works ok . . . not very cold . . . at least not cold enough to keep perishable items for more than a day or two at most and even then it has to run full time. If the vehicle is "warm" inside then the coleman becomes even less effective.
It works in my particular application because the A/C is seldom ever off and my rig virtually never shuts down while I'm out . . . or the genset is running and cooling the interior.
I would never buy a Coleman again unless it was simply for keeping a few drinks "cool" on a family outing, it is not deserving of the name "fridge"

My plans are to get an Engel MT60, simply because I have the room and can use the freezer portion quite frequently.

vhram

Observer
Ive got the engel mt45 the older style and it works great I put 2 cases of modelo and 1/2 dozen sodas and guessed on temp setting . Needless to say I managed to pop every single bottle and can , Talk about a mess. Now I look where I set the temp settings.

Superu

Explorer
I have an Engel MT45 and have been very pleased with it. Reliable, well-built and rugged. Worth the money IMHO. :ylsmoke:

esh

Explorer
Compressor driven will be less limiting vs ambient temps. If you can get over the hype of the new ARBs, look at Waeco/Dometic that have been around for much longer and have proven the design (that ARB now uses). Consider ~$200 cheaper for the unit and ~$100 cheaper for the transit bag.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I like my Engel 45. And I was impressed with the HD National Luna model that Paul showed me at OEXPO last month. Not cheap, but quality never is.

M

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
If you want a free Coleman thermoelectric cooler, I have one that's been sitting in my basement for the best part of a decade. In the North East the ambient temperature isn't so much of a problem and I managed to keep food fresh in the heat of the summer. I wouldn't want to venture in a Westerly or Southerly direction though.

The real issue is the cooler's voracious appetite for power. You definitely need a deep cycle house battery and a charging system that prevents the starting battery from dumping its charge into the knackered house battery when you switch on the ignition in the morning. Cheap Walmart batteries have a pretty good warranty and a pouch for the receipt so you can replace them most places for free after they give up.

I now have the Edgestar 45 liter fridge and no house battery (yet) in my Wrangler. So far its worked fine on the few weekends its been used. The only criticism I have of it is you have to be careful not to block two of the smallish and floor-level vents on the end and sides. The Engel seems to have vents just on one end which would definitely make packing around it easier.

Just my two centigrades, of course.

Cheers,
Graham

muskyman

Explorer
I have been running the ARB version of the engle 45 for a number of years now and its one of the best investments I have made into making my rover more car camping friendly.

The thermometer is a really good thing when your truck has been sitting for a week and you come home and want to load up and jump on the road.

I am always amazed at how little the unit runs to keep that much food cold.

the part that I really have gotten most used to is coming home from a trip and unloading the still good food into the home fridge instead of into the garbage can. nothing ever gets water logged and you never pull something out and get that big question mark if it has been kept cold enough to still be good.

It will pay for itself in unwasted food for sure and then the convenience of it is free :D

racingjason

Adventurer
I have to agree with what muskyman has said about the food and money savings. I was torn about spending $400 for a used Engel (the old yellow and white style) over a cooler when we starting a two month trip. I justified the expense to both my wallet and my wife by stating that it would save us money in the end. Everytime I pulled a bottle of tap water out of the fridge instead of buying cold bottled water at a store and evertime we had a good meal with fresh food in the truck rather than eating out I was happy with my decision. I am sure we saved more than the fridge's cost on that trip alone. Short term pain for long term gain.

Ramjet

Explorer
I agree. Having to pull my goods out of an iced cooler just beats me to death. Everything gets soggy and yes, you do eventually have to throw stuff away that you feel you should not eat. Has anyone had any experience with the new ARB fridge? That's the one I have my eye on.

muskyman

Explorer
Give John or Ho a call at expedition exchange, they carry them in stock and the always have a very detailed knowledge of every product the sell. I am sure they have delivered enough allready to share a very honest review of them.

expeditionexchange.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179